Upgtade path from Alphaserver 4000 to 4100 - DEC

This is a discussion on Upgtade path from Alphaserver 4000 to 4100 - DEC ; Hi group, Long time no post. Trying to get a new contract (in the real world [TM]) makes me feel guilty about messing with my hobbiest gear, however, a quick question: Does anyone know whether it is possible to upgrade ...

  1. Upgtade path from Alphaserver 4000 to 4100

    Hi group,

    Long time no post. Trying to get a new contract (in the real world
    [TM]) makes me feel guilty about messing with my hobbiest gear,
    however, a quick question:

    Does anyone know whether it is possible to upgrade an Alphaserver 4000
    to use 4 CPUs? I know the cabinet is the same, but is it a case of a
    new motherboard or backplane, or simply sticking more CPUs in.

    Excuse my ignorance, I'm only used to dealing with single CPU alpha/
    vax kit.

    Also, is there any one out there using a 4000/4100? I'd be interested
    in a comparison between that and say something like a DECStation
    3000/600 or a DS10L.

    Thanks

    Mark.

  2. Re: Upgtade path from Alphaserver 4000 to 4100

    urbancamo wrote:
    > Hi group,
    >
    > Long time no post. Trying to get a new contract (in the real world
    > [TM]) makes me feel guilty about messing with my hobbiest gear,
    > however, a quick question:
    >
    > Does anyone know whether it is possible to upgrade an Alphaserver 4000
    > to use 4 CPUs? I know the cabinet is the same, but is it a case of a
    > new motherboard or backplane, or simply sticking more CPUs in.
    >
    > Excuse my ignorance, I'm only used to dealing with single CPU alpha/
    > vax kit.
    >
    > Also, is there any one out there using a 4000/4100? I'd be interested
    > in a comparison between that and say something like a DECStation
    > 3000/600 or a DS10L.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Mark.

    The motherboard in the AS4100 is different from the one in AS4000. The
    former has four CPU slots and four memory option (two boards) slots and
    the latter has only two of each.
    There is also a cavity for a second PCI backplane on the right side of
    the AS4000 system drawer (looking from the front) which prevents
    installing of the AS4100 motherboard. Unless you remove it, of course.

    What kind of comparison of the systems are you thinking about? Performance?

    Regards,

    Kari

+ Reply to Thread