DEC Gigi/VK100 ROM images? - DEC

This is a discussion on DEC Gigi/VK100 ROM images? - DEC ; Hi, I've recently become interested in the Gigi/VK100 unit and its ReGIS graphics. There are only commercial implementations left, but I'm quite interested in sizing up an open one from scratch. It'd probably be bolted onto the side of xterm, ...

  1. DEC Gigi/VK100 ROM images?

    Hi,

    I've recently become interested in the Gigi/VK100 unit and its ReGIS
    graphics. There are only commercial implementations left, but I'm quite
    interested in sizing up an open one from scratch. It'd probably be
    bolted onto the side of xterm, cribbing from the Tek graphics already
    present. For this approach, I was wondering if anybody had a copy of the
    old GIGI/ReGIS Handbook, AA-K336A-TK.

    Another approach, which would probably much more closely recreate the
    GIGI experience, would be if somebody had or could grab a copy of the
    ROMs from an actual GIGI unit. Then I might look at MAME/MESS's
    environment to run these ROMs under an emulation of the original
    hardware.

    Comments welcome in any case!
    Andy Valencia

  2. Re: DEC Gigi/VK100 ROM images?

    vandys@vsta.org spake the secret code
    <66l4rmF2k19oqU1@mid.individual.net> thusly:

    >present. For this approach, I was wondering if anybody had a copy of the
    >old GIGI/ReGIS Handbook, AA-K336A-TK.

    Try looking on manx:

    Legalize Adulthood!

  3. Re: DEC Gigi/VK100 ROM images?

    Richard wrote:
    >> For this approach, I was wondering if anybody had a copy of the
    >>old GIGI/ReGIS Handbook, AA-K336A-TK.

    > Try looking on manx:

    Thanks, but I've already thoroughly plumbed the obvious places; they
    have placeholders for the manuals, but not the actual content. I'd be
    happy to pay for shipping here and back again, and would scan in the
    missing manuals and contribute them to vt100.net. I'm hoping that
    somebody out there has a dusty copy to start from.

    Thanks,
    Andy Valencia

  4. Re: DEC Gigi/VK100 ROM images?

    vandys@vsta.org spake the secret code
    <66nfqoF2kt8akU1@mid.individual.net> thusly:

    >Richard wrote:
    >>> For this approach, I was wondering if anybody had a copy of the
    >>>old GIGI/ReGIS Handbook, AA-K336A-TK.

    >> Try looking on manx:

    >Thanks, but I've already thoroughly plumbed the obvious places; they
    >have placeholders for the manuals, but not the actual content. I'd be
    >happy to pay for shipping here and back again, and would scan in the
    >missing manuals and contribute them to vt100.net. I'm hoping that
    >somebody out there has a dusty copy to start from.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Andy Valencia

    I tried emailing you privately, but it bounced. Please email me by
    replying to this message.

    Legalize Adulthood!

  5. Re: DEC Gigi/VK100 ROM images?

    vandys@vsta.org skrev:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've recently become interested in the Gigi/VK100 unit and its ReGIS
    > graphics. There are only commercial implementations left, but I'm quite
    > interested in sizing up an open one from scratch. It'd probably be
    > bolted onto the side of xterm, cribbing from the Tek graphics already
    > present. For this approach, I was wondering if anybody had a copy of the
    > old GIGI/ReGIS Handbook, AA-K336A-TK.
    >
    > Another approach, which would probably much more closely recreate the
    > GIGI experience, would be if somebody had or could grab a copy of the
    > ROMs from an actual GIGI unit. Then I might look at MAME/MESS's
    > environment to run these ROMs under an emulation of the original
    > hardware.
    >
    > Comments welcome in any case!
    > Andy Valencia

    If you want more information on ReGIS, look at any graphics capable DEC
    terminal, such as the VT240, VT241, VT330 or VT340. They can all do ReGIS also.

    Johnny

    --
    Johnny Billquist || "I'm on a bus
    || on a psychedelic trip
    email: bqt@softjar.se || Reading murder books

  6. Re: DEC Gigi/VK100 ROM images?

    vandys@vsta.org wrote:
    > Hi,
    > For this approach, I was wondering if anybody had a copy of the
    > old GIGI/ReGIS Handbook, AA-K336A-TK.

    GIGI documentation is now up at http://bitsavers.org/pdf/dec/terminal/gigi
    there is addtional information under vt125