Re: Four CPU ES40 hanging - DEC

This is a discussion on Re: Four CPU ES40 hanging - DEC ; Malcolm, EV6 Pass 2.3 CPUs are certainly 'suspicious', especially if they show unusual symptoms. Does the system react when pressing the OCP HALT button ? If so, type >>> CRASH to force a crash next time. Was there anything printed ...

  1. Re: Four CPU ES40 hanging

    Malcolm,

    EV6 Pass 2.3 CPUs are certainly 'suspicious', especially if they show
    unusual symptoms. Does the system react when pressing the OCP HALT
    button ? If so, type >>> CRASH to force a crash next time. Was there
    anything printed on the console terminal preceeding the hang ? Did the
    connection lost messages get printed ?

    If one of the CPUs would hang, you'll either get a CPUSPINWAIT or a
    CPUSANITY bugcheck.

    Consider to replace the CPUs.

    Volker.

  2. Re: Four CPU ES40 hanging

    Malcolm Dunnett wrote:
    > Volker Halle wrote:
    >> Malcolm,
    >>
    >> EV6 Pass 2.3 CPUs are certainly 'suspicious', especially if they show
    >> unusual symptoms. Does the system react when pressing the OCP HALT
    >> button ?

    > I didn't try that. I pressed the reset button. I was in a bit of a
    > panic to get it back up as it's a production system.

    It takes a while to write a crash dump but it's worthwhile when your
    system has crashed. Without that dump, you may never understand WHY it
    crashed. So two weeks later BOOM! Down you go again. ISTR it's
    possible to tailor what gets written to a dump and what does not. I
    wouldn't tailor the dumps until at least one full dump has been saved
    and analyzed.

    Most system managers have neither the training, the experience nor the
    resources to interpret a dump quickly and accurately. It requires a
    good knowledge of system internals, access to the source listings, and a
    lot of practice. I used to see about one dump per year with seven
    systems running. I can do a VERY superficial reading of the dump. I
    hand the job to the dump weenies in Colorado whenever possible. When
    you analyze three or four dumps per day, you either get good at it or
    get another job!

  3. Re: Four CPU ES40 hanging

    "Richard B. Gilbert" wrote in message
    news:qc2dnYdEg7QA4mLanZ2dnUVZ_remnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    > I hand the job to the dump weenies in Colorado whenever possible. When
    > you analyze three or four dumps per day, you either get good at it or get
    > another job!

    Weenies-R-Us ;*)

  4. Re: Four CPU ES40 hanging

    Jilly wrote:

    > "Richard B. Gilbert" wrote in message
    > news:qc2dnYdEg7QA4mLanZ2dnUVZ_remnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    >> I hand the job to the dump weenies in Colorado whenever possible.
    >> When you analyze three or four dumps per day, you either get good at
    >> it or get another job!
    >>

    > Weenies-R-Us ;*)

    Do you still work for DEC/Compaq/HP/whatever it will be called next month?

  5. Re: Four CPU ES40 hanging

    BTW if it turns out to be bad 500mhz cpu let me know
    I have hundreds of them in stock for almost $0

    --
    David B Turner

    Island Computers US Corp
    PO Box 86
    Tybee GA 31328

    Toll Free: 1-877 636 4332 x201, Mobile x251
    Email: dturner@islandco.com
    International: 001 706 993 1787
    Fax: 912 786 8505
    Web: www.islandco.com

    "Malcolm Dunnett" wrote in message
    > Volker Halle wrote:
    >> Malcolm,
    >>
    >> EV6 Pass 2.3 CPUs are certainly 'suspicious', especially if they show
    >> unusual symptoms. Does the system react when pressing the OCP HALT
    >> button ?

    > I didn't try that. I pressed the reset button. I was in a bit of a panic
    > to get it back up as it's a production system.
    >
    > If so, type >>> CRASH to force a crash next time. Was there
    >> anything printed on the console terminal preceeding the hang ?

    > Nothing on the console terminal (the last thing displayed was
    > a logout message from earlier in the day). Nothing in the OPERATOR.LOG
    > file (last thing was a timestamp from about 1/2 hour before the hang).
    >
    > Did the
    >> connection lost messages get printed ?

    > Do you mean on the other nodes or on the hung node? No connection lost
    > messages on the hung node, the other nodes reported the usual connect lost
    > messages.
    >

    >> If one of the CPUs would hang, you'll either get a CPUSPINWAIT or a
    >> CPUSANITY bugcheck.

    > That's what I thought.
    >

    >> Consider to replace the CPUs.
    >>

    > I'll try that tonight.

  6. Re: Four CPU ES40 hanging

    "Richard B. Gilbert" wrote in message
    news:qc2dnYZEg7SYHGLanZ2dnUVZ_rfinZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    > Jilly wrote:
    >>
    >> "Richard B. Gilbert" wrote in message
    >> news:qc2dnYdEg7QA4mLanZ2dnUVZ_remnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    >>> I hand the job to the dump weenies in Colorado whenever possible. When
    >>> you analyze three or four dumps per day, you either get good at it or
    >>> get another job!
    >>>

    >> Weenies-R-Us ;*)

    > Do you still work for DEC/Compaq/HP/whatever it will be called next month?

    29 years, 6 months and counting.

  7. Re: Four CPU ES40 hanging

    Jilly wrote:

    > "Richard B. Gilbert" wrote in message
    > news:qc2dnYZEg7SYHGLanZ2dnUVZ_rfinZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    >> Jilly wrote:
    >>>
    >>> "Richard B. Gilbert" wrote in message
    >>> news:qc2dnYdEg7QA4mLanZ2dnUVZ_remnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    >>>>

    >>> Weenies-R-Us ;*)

    >> Do you still work for DEC/Compaq/HP/whatever it will be called next
    >> month?

    > 29 years, 6 months and counting.

    Do you know if Katharina (Katrina?) Khan is still around. I used to
    talk to her fairly often back in the days when I had an employer and a
    support contract. I think I spoke with you a couple of time times in
    the 1990s and early 2000s

+ Reply to Thread