Reviving a Letterwriter 100 (LA100) - DEC

This is a discussion on Reviving a Letterwriter 100 (LA100) - DEC ; Hi, I recently inherited a DEC Letterwriter 100 (LA100) KSR which is unfortunately all but dead. I'd like to restore it to working order. When powered up, the paper-feed motor buzzes for a second or so and the CTS and ...

  1. Reviving a Letterwriter 100 (LA100)

    Hi,

    I recently inherited a DEC Letterwriter 100 (LA100) KSR which is
    unfortunately all but dead. I'd like to restore it to working order.

    When powered up, the paper-feed motor buzzes for a second or so and the
    CTS and LINE indicators illuminate. There's no carriage movement
    whatsoever and the keyboard doesn't seem to do anything. The unit is
    supposedly meant to flash all its indicators when the power's turned on,
    but this doesn't happen either.

    I've opened the thing up and verified all voltages from the PSU are ok.
    I've also checked the indicator LEDs themselves and all are working.
    Disconnecting cables from the main PCB hasn't revealed any obvious
    culprits, so I'm at a loss as to what to try next.

    On the documentation front, I've found the Terminals and Printers
    Handbook (1983-84) and the Illustrated Parts Breakdown, but these are
    both of limited use in my case. I could really use a service manual or
    some tips regarding how to proceed.

    Any pointers or ideas would be most welcome.

    Cheers,

    Steve

    PS. I also managed to mangle a couple of the plastic lugs used to hold
    the covers together whilst dismantling it. I don't support these are any
    kind of standard part of which someone may know a supplier?

    --
    Steve Maddison
    http://www.cosam.org/

  2. Re: Reviving a Letterwriter 100 (LA100)

    In article <47e7a7d3$0$53974$dbd4d001@news.wanadoo.nl>,
    Steve Maddison wrote:

    > PS. I also managed to mangle a couple of the plastic lugs used to hold
    > the covers together whilst dismantling it. I don't support these are any
    > kind of standard part of which someone may know a supplier?

    Get a second one, and maybe a third or more. Which one will end up as
    the "parts" machine, I can't say.

    --
    While its true that "you can't fix stupid", apparently you
    can package it up and sell it. -- fnorgby on TMBO

+ Reply to Thread