VAXstation 3100-M38 Memory + Ultrix ? - DEC

This is a discussion on VAXstation 3100-M38 Memory + Ultrix ? - DEC ; hello world, I have this vintage VS3138 running Ultrix/VAX 4.5. The machine has these strange memory cards, base + piggy back unit. Recently I acquired cards with larger capacity, at least that's what I thought. Console (TEST 50) tells me ...

  1. VAXstation 3100-M38 Memory + Ultrix ?

    hello world,

    I have this vintage VS3138 running Ultrix/VAX 4.5.
    The machine has these strange memory cards,
    base + piggy back unit.
    Recently I acquired cards with larger capacity,
    at least that's what I thought.
    Console (TEST 50) tells me I should have 32MB
    (8MB onboard plus the two extra cards),
    which looks OK to me.
    However, when I boot Ultrix, it tells
    me it sees only 20MB.
    Is this a known behaviour, or
    does it mean one of the memory boards
    went belly-up in the mean time ?

    I've seen similar behaviour on DECstations,
    where certain memory configurations are accepted
    by the console, but are rejected by Ultrix.

    TIA,
    MK

  2. Re: VAXstation 3100-M38 Memory + Ultrix ?

    In article , Michael Kraemer writes:
    > hello world,
    >
    > I have this vintage VS3138 running Ultrix/VAX 4.5.

    I'll assume you mean VAXStation 3100 Model 38. Shortened forms are
    not unique. (Maybe it's a VAXServer?)

    > The machine has these strange memory cards,
    > base + piggy back unit.
    > Recently I acquired cards with larger capacity,
    > at least that's what I thought.
    > Console (TEST 50) tells me I should have 32MB
    > (8MB onboard plus the two extra cards),
    > which looks OK to me.
    > However, when I boot Ultrix, it tells
    > me it sees only 20MB.
    > Is this a known behaviour, or
    > does it mean one of the memory boards
    > went belly-up in the mean time ?

    IIRC, in ULTRIX days you may have had to regenerate the kernel to
    recognise more memory.

  3. Re: VAXstation 3100-M38 Memory + Ultrix ?

    Bob Koehler schrieb:
    > In article , Michael Kraemer writes:

    >>I have this vintage VS3138 running Ultrix/VAX 4.5.

    > I'll assume you mean VAXStation 3100 Model 38.

    Yes. Sometimes I prefer sloppy language.

    > IIRC, in ULTRIX days you may have had to regenerate the kernel to
    > recognise more memory.

    OK, I'll look into this one, but
    I'm not sure if this is generally true for "modern" versions
    such as 4.5. At least with DECstations I observed that the
    Ultrix boot procedure immediately reported the increase
    in available memory after a memory upgrade.
    I think I saw a similar effect for the VAXstations,
    but there Ultrix maxes out at 20MB.
    I find it confusing that the OS reports different numbers
    than the console.
    A similar effect occurs with DECstations when they are
    populated with RAM parts of different capacity (i.e.
    mixed 8 and 32MB). I once had a single 32MB part in the
    first memory slot and 8MB in the remaining slots.
    I was happy the console reported lots of memory,
    but Ultrix only took the first 32MB :-(
    This behaviour is even mentioned in the Ultrix FAQ,
    but no mention of Ultrix on VAX.

  4. Re: VAXstation 3100-M38 Memory + Ultrix ?

    In article , Michael Kraemer writes:

    > Yes. Sometimes I prefer sloppy language.

    Actually, I see it now in the title.

+ Reply to Thread