The "World's First" MicroVAX II Museum is now Open - DEC

This is a discussion on The "World's First" MicroVAX II Museum is now Open - DEC ; Hello All, After more than a year, which should have taken less than three weeks, the MicroVAX II museum (or better referred to as "shrine", due to its size) is now open. A partial, lots-to-be-done web presence is at: http://www.microvax2.org ...

  1. The "World's First" MicroVAX II Museum is now Open

    Hello All,

    After more than a year, which should have taken less than three weeks,
    the MicroVAX II museum (or better referred to as "shrine", due to its
    size) is now open.

    A partial, lots-to-be-done web presence is at: http://www.microvax2.org
    (check out the virtual tour).

    It is located in Israel, and entry is free and by appointment only.

    I have no idea what a visitor might do there after wandering around
    the room for a few minutes, but if you are in the neighborhood and in
    desparate need for a VMS 5.4 prompt, you can find it there.

    Seriously, this place is all about preserving the MicroVAX II, and as
    much software, literature and related hardware as possible. It is
    built like a computer room from the late 80's, and a glass wall is the
    next thing on the construction plan.

    The history of the 12 sq. meter room in my front yard goes back many
    years. But in the last year I have cleared tons of rubbish from it,
    lay down a new ceramic tile floor, got it painted, had special-ordered
    all the furniture, connected the room to mains power, littered the
    ceiling with spot lights, and had the essential air conditioner
    installed.

    I would like to take the opportunity to thank all those who helped me,
    in this newsgroup and beyond (you know who you are).

    My apologies for the double posting.

    -Al.

  2. Re: The "World's First" MicroVAX II Museum is now Open

    On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 22:34:28 -0800, alegend wrote:

    > Hello All,
    >
    > After more than a year, which should have taken less than three weeks,
    > the MicroVAX II museum (or better referred to as "shrine", due to its
    > size) is now open.
    >
    > A partial, lots-to-be-done web presence is at: http://www.microvax2.org
    > (check out the virtual tour).
    >
    > It is located in Israel, and entry is free and by appointment only.
    >
    > I have no idea what a visitor might do there after wandering around
    > the room for a few minutes, but if you are in the neighborhood and in
    > desparate need for a VMS 5.4 prompt, you can find it there.
    >
    > Seriously, this place is all about preserving the MicroVAX II, and as
    > much software, literature and related hardware as possible. It is
    > built like a computer room from the late 80's, and a glass wall is the
    > next thing on the construction plan.
    >
    > The history of the 12 sq. meter room in my front yard goes back many
    > years. But in the last year I have cleared tons of rubbish from it,
    > lay down a new ceramic tile floor, got it painted, had special-ordered
    > all the furniture, connected the room to mains power, littered the
    > ceiling with spot lights, and had the essential air conditioner
    > installed.
    >
    > I would like to take the opportunity to thank all those who helped me,
    > in this newsgroup and beyond (you know who you are).
    >
    > My apologies for the double posting.
    >
    > -Al.

    You should install SDL and PL/I. Aside from possibly Fortran, PL/I
    probably produced the most efficient code on VAX.

    --
    PL/I for OpenVMS
    www.kednos.com

  3. Re: The "World's First" MicroVAX II Museum is now Open

    alegend wrote:

    > A partial, lots-to-be-done web presence is at: http://www.microvax2.org
    > (check out the virtual tour).

    You can look at

    http://www.vaxination.ca/vms/microvax/mv_ii.html

  4. Re: The "World's First" MicroVAX II Museum is now Open

    "alegend" wrote in message
    > Hello All,
    >
    > After more than a year, which should have taken less than three weeks,
    > the MicroVAX II museum (or better referred to as "shrine", due to its
    > size) is now open.
    >
    > A partial, lots-to-be-done web presence is at: http://www.microvax2.org
    > (check out the virtual tour).
    >
    > It is located in Israel, and entry is free and by appointment only.
    >
    > I have no idea what a visitor might do there after wandering around
    > the room for a few minutes, but if you are in the neighborhood and in
    > desparate need for a VMS 5.4 prompt, you can find it there.
    >
    > Seriously, this place is all about preserving the MicroVAX II, and as
    > much software, literature and related hardware as possible. It is
    > built like a computer room from the late 80's, and a glass wall is the
    > next thing on the construction plan.
    >
    > The history of the 12 sq. meter room in my front yard goes back many
    > years. But in the last year I have cleared tons of rubbish from it,
    > lay down a new ceramic tile floor, got it painted, had special-ordered
    > all the furniture, connected the room to mains power, littered the
    > ceiling with spot lights, and had the essential air conditioner
    > installed.
    >
    > I would like to take the opportunity to thank all those who helped me,
    > in this newsgroup and beyond (you know who you are).
    >
    > My apologies for the double posting.
    >
    > -Al.

    Some interesting stuff there, brings back memories. One comment intrigued me
    though, on cleaning a TK50. I had worked most of it out for myself, but then
    at the very last you mention the head tachometer. Where is that? Any
    recommendations on how to clean it? I have a tape that I know to have been
    readable recently but will not load in my TK50.

    Thanks

    Rob

  5. Re: The "World's First" MicroVAX II Museum is now Open

    On Feb 14, 12:46*am, "Robert Jarratt" wrote:
    > "alegend" wrote in message

    > > Hello All,

    > > After more than a year, which should have taken less than three weeks,
    > > the MicroVAX II museum (or better referred to as "shrine", due to its
    > > size) is now open.

    > > A partial, lots-to-be-done web presence is at:http://www.microvax2.org
    > > (check out the virtual tour).

    > > It is located in Israel, and entry is free and by appointment only.

    > > I have no idea what a visitor might do there after wandering around
    > > the room for a few minutes, but if you are in the neighborhood and in
    > > desparate need for a VMS 5.4 prompt, you can find it there.

    > > Seriously, this place is all about preserving the MicroVAX II, and as
    > > much software, literature and related hardware as possible. It is
    > > built like a computer room from the late 80's, and a glass wall is the
    > > next thing on the construction plan.

    > > The history of the 12 sq. meter room in my front yard goes back many
    > > years. But in the last year I have cleared tons of rubbish from it,
    > > lay down a new ceramic tile floor, got it painted, had special-ordered
    > > all the furniture, connected the room to mains power, littered the
    > > ceiling with spot lights, and had the essential air conditioner
    > > installed.

    > > I would like to take the opportunity to thank all those who helped me,
    > > in this newsgroup and beyond (you know who you are).

    > > My apologies for the double posting.

    > > -Al.

    > Some interesting stuff there, brings back memories. One comment intrigued me
    > though, on cleaning a TK50. I had worked most of it out for myself, but then
    > at the very last you mention the head tachometer. Where is that? Any
    > recommendations on how to clean it? I have a tape that I know to have been
    > readable recently but will not load in my TK50.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Rob- Hide quoted text -

    Hi Rob,

    The TK50 tacho is not something easily reached, cleaned, or assembled
    back safely. It sits in a black plastic casing below one of the
    rotating elements, the farthest one from the front panel IIRC. The
    infrarerd LED and detector are connected to a flexible PCB, and the
    tacho wheel is extremely flimsy and delicate. Cleaning that is not a
    task for the technically challenged so it has no place in a simple
    guide, because I think more often than not people would destroy their
    tape drive. But if you have managed to get to the thing and open it
    up, a short burst of compressed air or a wipe with tissue paper will
    clean the infrared elements. Then there's the task of putting it back
    together.

    -Al.

  6. Re: The "World's First" MicroVAX II Museum is now Open

    Greetings Alon,

    > After more than a year, which should have taken less than three weeks,
    > the MicroVAX II museum (or better referred to as "shrine", due to its
    > size) is now open.

    [cut]

    Congratulations from the bloke who helped "force feed"
    your MicroVAX II obsession in Melbourne, Australia.

    I'm trying to clean up my factory, AKA the VAX/PDP-11 "dungeon",
    by trying to give away the boxes of ancient IBM PC s/w I collected
    many moons ago. Next target is the ancient IBM PC compatible h/w.

    Hopefully the Grandmas are not spoiling Ori and sibling too much.
    (can't pop your wife's name off the top of my memory stack!)

    --
    Regards, Andy.

    03-9808-9584 AH, 04140-76667 reasonable hours only.
    If this is an news group posting and you want to email me
    then substitute "darkstar" and "carringbush" appropriately.

    "With enough lubrication, we can do anything."

    Motto of the Mythbuster team.

  7. Re: The "World's First" MicroVAX II Museum is now Open

    Hi Andrew

    Haven't seen your name in print (or you IRL) since the heady DECUS
    days.......

    Milton

    Christine Ricketts/Andrew Stewart wrote:
    > Greetings Alon,
    >
    >> After more than a year, which should have taken less than three weeks,
    >> the MicroVAX II museum (or better referred to as "shrine", due to its
    >> size) is now open.

    > [cut]
    >
    > Congratulations from the bloke who helped "force feed"
    > your MicroVAX II obsession in Melbourne, Australia.
    >
    > I'm trying to clean up my factory, AKA the VAX/PDP-11 "dungeon",
    > by trying to give away the boxes of ancient IBM PC s/w I collected
    > many moons ago. Next target is the ancient IBM PC compatible h/w.
    >
    > Hopefully the Grandmas are not spoiling Ori and sibling too much.
    > (can't pop your wife's name off the top of my memory stack!)

  8. Re: The "World's First" MicroVAX II Museum is now Open

    Greetings Milton,

    Yes, still lurking on comp.os.vms and
    collecting/recycling DEC stuff. :-)

    I'm trying to reduce my collection now by
    expelling the ancient PC bits and pieces
    from the factory.

    More modern PC stuff type that comes my way
    gets sent across the Yarra river to Altona
    where the CADSS group recycles it.

    --
    Regards, Andy.

    03-9808-9584 AH, 04140-76667 reasonable hours only.
    If this is an news group posting and you want to email me
    then substitute "darkstar" and "carringbush" appropriately.

    "With enough lubrication, we can do anything."

    Motto of the Mythbuster team.

+ Reply to Thread