PDP-6 timesharing monitor listing - DEC

This is a discussion on PDP-6 timesharing monitor listing - DEC ; teranews appears to have eaten my post from yesterday.. A listing of the PDP-6 timesharing executive 1.4 from Aug, 1965 is up now under http://bitsavers.org/pdf/dec/pdp6/tsExec1.4/ I have the mininal ioinit scanned, and have the versions for the following which i'll ...

  1. PDP-6 timesharing monitor listing

    teranews appears to have eaten my post from yesterday..

    A listing of the PDP-6 timesharing executive 1.4 from Aug, 1965 is up
    now
    under http://bitsavers.org/pdf/dec/pdp6/tsExec1.4/

    I have the mininal ioinit scanned, and have the versions for the
    following
    which i'll get to at some point

    aachen, berkeley, bonn, brookhaven, dec, lns(?), perth, rand, and
    rutgers

    This also reminded me that in 2000 Rolie Baldock was trying to read
    some
    PDP-6 tapes. When he passed away, they were given to Paul Repacholi,
    who has also passed away as of the middle of last year. I'm hoping
    someone
    knows what has become of Paul's collection, and in particular, Rolie's
    DECtapes

  2. Re: PDP-6 timesharing monitor listing

    On Tue, 29 Jan 2008, Al Kossow posted:
    > A listing of the PDP-6 timesharing executive 1.4 from Aug, 1965 is up
    > now under http://bitsavers.org/pdf/dec/pdp6/tsExec1.4/

    Interesting. It seems that in 1.4 days, monitor commands could not be
    abbreviated. It's a simple CAME/AOBJN loop. By 3.19, it was the somewhat
    longer loop (10 instructions) that I found in WAITS and replaced with a
    binary search that actually gave back a noticable percentage of the CPU.

    I wonder when the disgusting mess in 7.02 COMCON came about.

    -- Mark --

    http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

  3. Re: PDP-6 timesharing monitor listing

  4. Re: PDP-6 timesharing monitor listing

    On Thu, 31 Jan 2008, htimsc@moc.rric.pcuu.orobenots posted:
    > Don't miss
    > http://bitsavers.org/pdf/dec/pdp6/tsExec1.4/CORE.pdf

    Whoo-hoo! Gentlemen's timesharing indeed! This is memory management code
    from before The Big BLT!

    I wonder if the infamous "CORE AVAILABLE BUT NOT FOR YOU" message occurs
    in that version. IIRC, that message would happen if there was enough free
    core for your request, but due to locked memory blocks (which was exempt
    from The Big BLT) the shuffler couldn't put together a contiguous block of
    that size.

    There was also "YOU ARE LOCKED OUT OF CORE" when the swapper was no longer
    able to swap you in due to locked segments.

    I think that both of these are from a bit later in Bottoms-10 history.

    -- Mark --

    http://panda.com/mrc

  5. Re: PDP-6 timesharing monitor listing

    >> http://bitsavers.org/pdf/dec/pdp6/tsExec1.4/CORE.pdf

    I was too obscure ... the author is

    G. BELL 6-29-65

    >I wonder if the infamous "CORE AVAILABLE BUT NOT FOR YOU" message occurs

    There's an error message in COMCON, viz.

    FREE 1K BLOCKS LEFT, NONE ASSIGNED

  6. Re: PDP-6 timesharing monitor listing

    In article ,
    Mark Crispin wrote:

    >I think that both of these are from a bit later in Bottoms-10 history.

    You do realize that, when DEC hardware engineers heard your term
    Bottoms-10, they thought you were talking about the PDP-10 and
    not some software?

    /BAH

  7. Re: PDP-6 timesharing monitor listing

    On Fri, 1 Feb 2008, jmfbahciv@aol.com posted:
    > In article ,
    > Mark Crispin wrote:
    >> I think that both of these are from a bit later in Bottoms-10 history.

    > You do realize that, when DEC hardware engineers heard your term
    > Bottoms-10, they thought you were talking about the PDP-10 and
    > not some software?

    The term Bottoms-10 was widely used in the ITS, Tenex, and TOPS-20
    communities to describe 10/50 after it was renamed to its totally false
    and misleading name "TOPS-10". That marketing name name was highly
    offensive to these communities, considering that the operating system in
    question was in no way "TOPS" compared to the other operating systems.

    The term "Twenex" for TOPS-20 was a compliment, not an insult.

    -- Mark --

    http://panda.com/mrc

  8. Re: PDP-6 timesharing monitor listing

    Mark Crispin writes:

    > On Fri, 1 Feb 2008, jmfbahciv@aol.com posted:
    >> In article ,
    >> Mark Crispin wrote:
    >>> I think that both of these are from a bit later in Bottoms-10 history.

    >> You do realize that, when DEC hardware engineers heard your term
    >> Bottoms-10, they thought you were talking about the PDP-10 and
    >> not some software?

    > The term Bottoms-10 was widely used in the ITS, Tenex, and TOPS-20
    > communities to describe 10/50 after it was renamed to its totally
    > false and misleading name "TOPS-10". That marketing name name was
    > highly offensive to these communities, considering that the operating
    > system in question was in no way "TOPS" compared to the other
    > operating systems.
    >
    > The term "Twenex" for TOPS-20 was a compliment, not an insult.

    Not to be confused with the term "Tweenex" (pronounced like Kleenex),
    which I think originated with RMS.

  9. Re: PDP-6 timesharing monitor listing

    In article ,
    Mark Crispin wrote:
    >On Fri, 1 Feb 2008, jmfbahciv@aol.com posted:
    >> In article ,
    >> Mark Crispin wrote:
    >>> I think that both of these are from a bit later in Bottoms-10 history.

    >> You do realize that, when DEC hardware engineers heard your term
    >> Bottoms-10, they thought you were talking about the PDP-10 and
    >> not some software?

    >The term Bottoms-10 was widely used in the ITS, Tenex, and TOPS-20
    >communities to describe 10/50 after it was renamed to its totally false
    >and misleading name "TOPS-10". That marketing name name was highly
    >offensive to these communities, considering that the operating system in
    >question was in no way "TOPS" compared to the other operating systems.
    >
    >The term "Twenex" for TOPS-20 was a compliment, not an insult.

    I don't care how the term was used in the "community". I am talking
    about how DEC hardware engineering heard the term.

    /BAH

  10. Re: PDP-6 timesharing monitor listing

    On Sat, 2 Feb 2008, jmfbahciv@aol.com posted:
    > I don't care how the term was used in the "community". I am talking
    > about how DEC hardware engineering heard the term.

    Not caring about the community was one of the reasons that Digital died.

    -- Mark --

    http://panda.com/mrc