TK70 Interface - DEC

This is a discussion on TK70 Interface - DEC ; I just bought a TK70 that was advertised as being SCSI. However it does not look like a SCSI interface to me. There is a blue connector with 26 pins. What interface is this? Thanks Rob...

  1. TK70 Interface

    I just bought a TK70 that was advertised as being SCSI. However it does not
    look like a SCSI interface to me. There is a blue connector with 26 pins.
    What interface is this?

    Thanks

    Rob

  2. Re: TK70 Interface

    In article , "Robert Jarratt" writes:
    > I just bought a TK70 that was advertised as being SCSI. However it does not
    > look like a SCSI interface to me. There is a blue connector with 26 pins.
    > What interface is this?

    This is the interface that goes to the controller board. There may
    be a controller that will work with SCSI, but I've never seen one
    for the TK70. Lower density (TKZ30) and higher density (TKZ8x)
    drives, but not the TK70.

  3. Re: TK70 Interface

    Robert Jarratt wrote:
    > I just bought a TK70 that was advertised as being SCSI. However it does not
    > look like a SCSI interface to me. There is a blue connector with 26 pins.
    > What interface is this?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Rob

    It is definitely not SCSI.
    You need a special controller (adapter) board to use the drive. In Qbus
    machines (VAX 3xxx/MicroVAX 3xxxx, VAX4xxx) the controller is called
    TQK70 (M7559). There is a controller/adapter for BI-bus machines (e.g.
    VAX6xxx) also. It is called TBK70.

    I doubt that there are any other possibilities to use than with those
    adapters.

    Kari

  4. Re: TK70 Interface

    "Uusimäki" wrote in message
    > Robert Jarratt wrote:
    >> I just bought a TK70 that was advertised as being SCSI. However it does
    >> not look like a SCSI interface to me. There is a blue connector with 26
    >> pins. What interface is this?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Rob

    > It is definitely not SCSI.
    > You need a special controller (adapter) board to use the drive. In Qbus
    > machines (VAX 3xxx/MicroVAX 3xxxx, VAX4xxx) the controller is called TQK70
    > (M7559). There is a controller/adapter for BI-bus machines (e.g. VAX6xxx)
    > also. It is called TBK70.
    >
    > I doubt that there are any other possibilities to use than with those
    > adapters.
    >

    > Kari

    So do I have any options for connecting it to any of the following?

    VAXstation 3100 M38
    VAXstation 4000 VLC
    DEC 2000 Model 300 AXP (Jensen)

    As far as I know these are all SCSI only, but I would be happy to be
    corrected.

    Thanks

    Rob

  5. Re: TK70 Interface

    Uusimäki wrote:
    > Robert Jarratt wrote:
    >> I just bought a TK70 that was advertised as being SCSI. However it
    >> does not look like a SCSI interface to me. There is a blue connector
    >> with 26 pins. What interface is this?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Rob
    >>

    > It is definitely not SCSI.
    > You need a special controller (adapter) board to use the drive. In Qbus
    > machines (VAX 3xxx/MicroVAX 3xxxx, VAX4xxx) the controller is called
    > TQK70 (M7559). There is a controller/adapter for BI-bus machines (e.g.
    > VAX6xxx) also. It is called TBK70.
    >
    > I doubt that there are any other possibilities to use than with those
    > adapters.

    There is a SCSI controller for the TK50. It is called a TZK50. Mine was
    mounted inside a box that contained a real TK50 (not TZ30) that connected
    to the SCSI bus. I did a quick Google on these controllers and some people
    seem to think that this controller supports both drive types.

    Tim.

  6. Re: TK70 Interface

    "Tim Sneddon" wrote in message
    > Uusimäki wrote:
    >> Robert Jarratt wrote:
    >>> I just bought a TK70 that was advertised as being SCSI. However it does
    >>> not look like a SCSI interface to me. There is a blue connector with 26
    >>> pins. What interface is this?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>>
    >>> Rob
    >>>

    >> It is definitely not SCSI.
    >> You need a special controller (adapter) board to use the drive. In Qbus
    >> machines (VAX 3xxx/MicroVAX 3xxxx, VAX4xxx) the controller is called
    >> TQK70 (M7559). There is a controller/adapter for BI-bus machines (e.g.
    >> VAX6xxx) also. It is called TBK70.
    >>
    >> I doubt that there are any other possibilities to use than with those
    >> adapters.
    >>

    > There is a SCSI controller for the TK50. It is called a TZK50. Mine was
    > mounted inside a box that contained a real TK50 (not TZ30) that connected
    > to the SCSI bus. I did a quick Google on these controllers and some people
    > seem to think that this controller supports both drive types.
    >
    > Tim.
    >
    > --

    In actual fact I have a TZK50, but I was sloppy with the way I handled it
    and it is now broken :-(

    Regards

    Rob

  7. Re: TK70 Interface

    In article ,
    "Robert Jarratt" writes:

    > "Tim Sneddon" wrote in message
    >> Uusimäki wrote:

    >>> It is definitely not SCSI.
    >>> You need a special controller (adapter) board to use the drive. In Qbus
    >>> machines (VAX 3xxx/MicroVAX 3xxxx, VAX4xxx) the controller is called
    >>> TQK70 (M7559). There is a controller/adapter for BI-bus machines (e.g.
    >>> VAX6xxx) also. It is called TBK70.
    >>>
    >>> I doubt that there are any other possibilities to use than with those
    >>> adapters.
    >>>

    >> There is a SCSI controller for the TK50. It is called a TZK50. Mine was
    >> mounted inside a box that contained a real TK50 (not TZ30) that connected
    >> to the SCSI bus. I did a quick Google on these controllers and some people
    >> seem to think that this controller supports both drive types.
    >>
    >> Tim.
    >>
    >> --
    >>

    > In actual fact I have a TZK50, but I was sloppy with the way I handled it
    > and it is now broken :-(

    What are you doing with it? I could probably use the spare parts.

    bill

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

  8. Re: TK70 Interface

    "Bill Gunshannon" wrote in message
    > In article ,
    > "Robert Jarratt" writes:
    >>
    >> "Tim Sneddon" wrote in message

    >>> There is a SCSI controller for the TK50. It is called a TZK50. Mine was
    >>> mounted inside a box that contained a real TK50 (not TZ30) that
    >>> connected
    >>> to the SCSI bus. I did a quick Google on these controllers and some
    >>> people
    >>> seem to think that this controller supports both drive types.
    >>>
    >>> Tim.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>>

    >> In actual fact I have a TZK50, but I was sloppy with the way I handled it
    >> and it is now broken :-(
    >>

    > What are you doing with it? I could probably use the spare parts.
    >
    > bill
    >
    > --
    > Bill Gunshannon | de-moc-ra-cy (di mok' ra see) n. Three wolves
    > bill@cs.scranton.edu | and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
    > University of Scranton |
    > Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

    By "it" do you mean the TK70 or the TK50Z? In either case I want to hang on
    to them for the moment in the hope that I get something to make one of them
    work. Feel free to contact me again in a few weeks or so to see if something
    has changed. You can reach me on hotmail. The address is "rob_j" followed by
    the number "37"

    Regards

    Rob

  9. Re: TK70 Interface

    In article ,
    "Robert Jarratt" writes:

    > "Bill Gunshannon" wrote in message
    >> In article ,
    >> "Robert Jarratt" writes:
    >>>
    >>> "Tim Sneddon" wrote in message

    >>> In actual fact I have a TZK50, but I was sloppy with the way I handled it
    >>> and it is now broken :-(
    >>>

    >> What are you doing with it? I could probably use the spare parts.
    >>
    >> bill
    >>
    >> --
    >> Bill Gunshannon | de-moc-ra-cy (di mok' ra see) n. Three wolves
    >> bill@cs.scranton.edu | and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
    >> University of Scranton |
    >> Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

    > By "it" do you mean the TK70 or the TK50Z? In either case I want to hang on
    > to them for the moment in the hope that I get something to make one of them
    > work. Feel free to contact me again in a few weeks or so to see if something
    > has changed. You can reach me on hotmail. The address is "rob_j" followed by
    > the number "37"

    Actually, depending on what you asked for them and the cost of shipping (I
    don't know where you are) I would consider both. I have a VAX with a TK70
    for which I oculd always use a spafre drive and I have an also non-functional
    TKZ50 that might be fixable by combinig parts from more than one. :-)

    If I remember I will ask again in a while.

    bill

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

  10. Re: TK70 Interface

    > In article ,
    > "Robert Jarratt" writes:
    >>
    >> "Bill Gunshannon" wrote in message

    >>> What are you doing with it? I could probably use the spare parts.
    >>>
    >>> bill
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Bill Gunshannon | de-moc-ra-cy (di mok' ra see) n. Three
    >>> wolves
    >>> bill@cs.scranton.edu | and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
    >>> University of Scranton |
    >>> Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

    >> By "it" do you mean the TK70 or the TK50Z? In either case I want to hang
    >> on
    >> to them for the moment in the hope that I get something to make one of
    >> them
    >> work. Feel free to contact me again in a few weeks or so to see if
    >> something
    >> has changed. You can reach me on hotmail. The address is "rob_j" followed
    >> by
    >> the number "37"

    > Actually, depending on what you asked for them and the cost of shipping (I
    > don't know where you are) I would consider both. I have a VAX with a TK70
    > for which I oculd always use a spafre drive and I have an also
    > non-functional
    > TKZ50 that might be fixable by combinig parts from more than one. :-)
    >
    > If I remember I will ask again in a while.
    >
    > bill
    >
    > --
    > Bill Gunshannon | de-moc-ra-cy (di mok' ra see) n. Three wolves
    > bill@cs.scranton.edu | and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
    > University of Scranton |
    > Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

    I am in the UK, so shipping the TK50Z would be fairly expensive.

    Regards

    Rob

  11. Re: TK70 Interface

    Robert Jarratt wrote:
    > "Uusimäki" wrote in message
    >> Robert Jarratt wrote:
    >>> I just bought a TK70 that was advertised as being SCSI. However it does
    >>> not look like a SCSI interface to me. There is a blue connector with 26
    >>> pins. What interface is this?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>>
    >>> Rob

    >> It is definitely not SCSI.
    >> You need a special controller (adapter) board to use the drive. In Qbus
    >> machines (VAX 3xxx/MicroVAX 3xxxx, VAX4xxx) the controller is called TQK70
    >> (M7559). There is a controller/adapter for BI-bus machines (e.g. VAX6xxx)
    >> also. It is called TBK70.
    >>
    >> I doubt that there are any other possibilities to use than with those
    >> adapters.
    >>

    >> Kari

    > So do I have any options for connecting it to any of the following?
    >
    > VAXstation 3100 M38
    > VAXstation 4000 VLC
    > DEC 2000 Model 300 AXP (Jensen)
    >
    > As far as I know these are all SCSI only, but I would be happy to be
    > corrected.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Rob

    Quite right. The two first ones are SCSI only. You could install an EISA
    adapter for some other bus type e.g. DSSI on the Jensen, but it doesn't
    help in the actual case.

    Therefore, unfortunately, there are no possibilities to connect the TK70
    to those computers.
    There was mentioned in another posting, that TK50 (or TZ30) would be an
    option. That's correct, but onto a TK50 (and TZ30) media will fit only
    95MB compared to TK70, which is capable of writing 295MB on a CompacTape
    II. A big difference.

    I suggest that you consider a newer type of DLT drive. There are many
    types to choose from and it is easier to find media for them than to the
    oldest types. The various DLT drive (DEC) models are: TK50/TZ30 (95MB),
    TK70 (295MB), TZ85/TF85 (2.6GB), TZ86/TF86 (6GB), TZ87 (10/20GB), TZ88
    (20/40GB), TZ89 (35/70GB), TZ90 (40/80GB). The TF8*'s are equipped with
    a DSSI bus interface. All TZ8*'s have SCSI interface. The later types
    have hardware compression, hence the double capacity marking.

    The DLT drives have been built by Quantum since mid-90's, but has had
    many different brands (else than DEC). Quantums model names are DLT2000
    = TZ87, DLT4000 = TZ88, DLT7000 = TZ89 and DLT8000 = TZ90. The drive is
    physically exactly the same on different brands, but the firmware is
    slightly different.

    The media compatibility between the different drives is a long story,
    which is made easy to understand by Quantum:
    http://www.quantum.com/Products/Medi...pe/Index.aspx#

    The media compatibility tool starts with DLT2000XT (15/30GB) and covers
    the newer technology, SuperDLT, also.

    Many of the older models (TZ87, TZ88, TZ89) are available on Ebay and
    don't cost too much (maybe $10-20).

    Regards,

    Kari

  12. Re: TK70 Interface

    "Uusimäki" wrote in message
    > Robert Jarratt wrote:
    >> "Uusimäki" wrote in message

    >>> It is definitely not SCSI.
    >>> You need a special controller (adapter) board to use the drive. In Qbus
    >>> machines (VAX 3xxx/MicroVAX 3xxxx, VAX4xxx) the controller is called
    >>> TQK70 (M7559). There is a controller/adapter for BI-bus machines (e.g.
    >>> VAX6xxx) also. It is called TBK70.
    >>>
    >>> I doubt that there are any other possibilities to use than with those
    >>> adapters.
    >>>

    >>> Kari

    >> So do I have any options for connecting it to any of the following?
    >>
    >> VAXstation 3100 M38
    >> VAXstation 4000 VLC
    >> DEC 2000 Model 300 AXP (Jensen)
    >>
    >> As far as I know these are all SCSI only, but I would be happy to be
    >> corrected.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Rob

    > Quite right. The two first ones are SCSI only. You could install an EISA
    > adapter for some other bus type e.g. DSSI on the Jensen, but it doesn't
    > help in the actual case.
    >
    > Therefore, unfortunately, there are no possibilities to connect the TK70
    > to those computers.
    > There was mentioned in another posting, that TK50 (or TZ30) would be an
    > option. That's correct, but onto a TK50 (and TZ30) media will fit only
    > 95MB compared to TK70, which is capable of writing 295MB on a CompacTape
    > II. A big difference.
    >
    > I suggest that you consider a newer type of DLT drive. There are many
    > types to choose from and it is easier to find media for them than to the
    > oldest types. The various DLT drive (DEC) models are: TK50/TZ30 (95MB),
    > TK70 (295MB), TZ85/TF85 (2.6GB), TZ86/TF86 (6GB), TZ87 (10/20GB), TZ88
    > (20/40GB), TZ89 (35/70GB), TZ90 (40/80GB). The TF8*'s are equipped with a
    > DSSI bus interface. All TZ8*'s have SCSI interface. The later types have
    > hardware compression, hence the double capacity marking.
    >
    > The DLT drives have been built by Quantum since mid-90's, but has had many
    > different brands (else than DEC). Quantums model names are DLT2000 = TZ87,
    > DLT4000 = TZ88, DLT7000 = TZ89 and DLT8000 = TZ90. The drive is physically
    > exactly the same on different brands, but the firmware is slightly
    > different.
    >
    > The media compatibility between the different drives is a long story,
    > which is made easy to understand by Quantum:
    > http://www.quantum.com/Products/Medi...pe/Index.aspx#
    >
    > The media compatibility tool starts with DLT2000XT (15/30GB) and covers
    > the newer technology, SuperDLT, also.
    >
    > Many of the older models (TZ87, TZ88, TZ89) are available on Ebay and
    > don't cost too much (maybe $10-20).
    >

    > Regards,
    >
    > Kari

    This is great info, thanks! Can you tell me though, which is the most modern
    drive that can read TK5 0 tapes?

    Thanks

    Rob

  13. Re: TK70 Interface

    In article , "Robert Jarratt" writes:
    >This is great info, thanks! Can you tell me though, which is the most modern
    >drive that can read TK5 0 tapes?

    all the (DLT) Tx8y tapes (without the "N", means no Tx8yN drives)
    where x = K cartridge and pure drive (without interface)
    x = Z [U]SCSI[-nnn]
    x = F DSSI
    and y = 5-9 (5: 2.6GB up to 9: 36/70GB)

    and corresponding Tx8y7 tapelibraries (but no SDLT Drives AFAIK)

    So, the TZ89 (and TZ897 = TZ89 with magazine for 7 cartridges) should be ok.

    But, IIRC, the TZ89 are not very common, the TZ89N are...

    Would anybody confirm, please

    --
    Peter "EPLAN" LANGSTOEGER
    Network and OpenVMS system specialist

  14. Re: TK70 Interface

    In article <479c641b$1@news.langstoeger.at>,
    peter@langstoeger.at (Peter 'EPLAN' LANGSTOeGER) writes:
    > In article , "Robert Jarratt" writes:
    >>This is great info, thanks! Can you tell me though, which is the most modern
    >>drive that can read TK5 0 tapes?

    > all the (DLT) Tx8y tapes (without the "N", means no Tx8yN drives)
    > where x = K cartridge and pure drive (without interface)
    > x = Z [U]SCSI[-nnn]
    > x = F DSSI
    > and y = 5-9 (5: 2.6GB up to 9: 36/70GB)
    >
    > and corresponding Tx8y7 tapelibraries (but no SDLT Drives AFAIK)
    >
    > So, the TZ89 (and TZ897 = TZ89 with magazine for 7 cartridges) should be ok.
    >
    > But, IIRC, the TZ89 are not very common, the TZ89N are...
    >
    > Would anybody confirm, please

    I haven't had a DLT for a long time but I am fairly certain I could
    not insert a TK50 into those drives. Tapes look the same but there
    were differences that kept it from fitting. I thought it was pretty
    much TK50/TK70 and then the rest of the world.

    bill

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

  15. Re: TK70 Interface

    Bill Gunshannon wrote:
    > In article <479c641b$1@news.langstoeger.at>,
    > peter@langstoeger.at (Peter 'EPLAN' LANGSTOeGER) writes:
    >> In article , "Robert Jarratt" writes:
    >>> This is great info, thanks! Can you tell me though, which is the most modern
    >>> drive that can read TK5 0 tapes?

    >> all the (DLT) Tx8y tapes (without the "N", means no Tx8yN drives)
    >> where x = K cartridge and pure drive (without interface)
    >> x = Z [U]SCSI[-nnn]
    >> x = F DSSI
    >> and y = 5-9 (5: 2.6GB up to 9: 36/70GB)
    >>
    >> and corresponding Tx8y7 tapelibraries (but no SDLT Drives AFAIK)
    >>
    >> So, the TZ89 (and TZ897 = TZ89 with magazine for 7 cartridges) should be ok.
    >>
    >> But, IIRC, the TZ89 are not very common, the TZ89N are...
    >>
    >> Would anybody confirm, please

    > I haven't had a DLT for a long time but I am fairly certain I could
    > not insert a TK50 into those drives. Tapes look the same but there
    > were differences that kept it from fitting. I thought it was pretty
    > much TK50/TK70 and then the rest of the world.
    >
    > bill

    The backward compatibility for TK50 tapes was kept up to the TZ87
    (10/20GB) drives. They are still widely available e.g. on Ebay.

    In fact, the last 7 slot library was TZ887. After that the TL891 (10
    slots [expandable], 1-2 TZ89's) library replaced it. There was also a
    similar library, the TL881, but with TZ88 drive(s).

    Regards,

    Kari

  16. Re: TK70 Interface

    Robert Jarratt wrote:
    > "Uusimäki" wrote in message
    >> Robert Jarratt wrote:
    >>> "Uusimäki" wrote in message

    >>> So do I have any options for connecting it to any of the following?
    >>>
    >>> VAXstation 3100 M38
    >>> VAXstation 4000 VLC
    >>> DEC 2000 Model 300 AXP (Jensen)
    >>>
    >>> As far as I know these are all SCSI only, but I would be happy to be
    >>> corrected.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>>
    >>> Rob

    >> Quite right. The two first ones are SCSI only. You could install an EISA
    >> adapter for some other bus type e.g. DSSI on the Jensen, but it doesn't
    >> help in the actual case.
    >>
    >> Therefore, unfortunately, there are no possibilities to connect the TK70
    >> to those computers.
    >> There was mentioned in another posting, that TK50 (or TZ30) would be an
    >> option. That's correct, but onto a TK50 (and TZ30) media will fit only
    >> 95MB compared to TK70, which is capable of writing 295MB on a CompacTape
    >> II. A big difference.
    >>
    >> I suggest that you consider a newer type of DLT drive. There are many
    >> types to choose from and it is easier to find media for them than to the
    >> oldest types. The various DLT drive (DEC) models are: TK50/TZ30 (95MB),
    >> TK70 (295MB), TZ85/TF85 (2.6GB), TZ86/TF86 (6GB), TZ87 (10/20GB), TZ88
    >> (20/40GB), TZ89 (35/70GB), TZ90 (40/80GB). The TF8*'s are equipped with a
    >> DSSI bus interface. All TZ8*'s have SCSI interface. The later types have
    >> hardware compression, hence the double capacity marking.
    >>
    >> The DLT drives have been built by Quantum since mid-90's, but has had many
    >> different brands (else than DEC). Quantums model names are DLT2000 = TZ87,
    >> DLT4000 = TZ88, DLT7000 = TZ89 and DLT8000 = TZ90. The drive is physically
    >> exactly the same on different brands, but the firmware is slightly
    >> different.
    >>
    >> The media compatibility between the different drives is a long story,
    >> which is made easy to understand by Quantum:
    >> http://www.quantum.com/Products/Medi...pe/Index.aspx#
    >>
    >> The media compatibility tool starts with DLT2000XT (15/30GB) and covers
    >> the newer technology, SuperDLT, also.
    >>
    >> Many of the older models (TZ87, TZ88, TZ89) are available on Ebay and
    >> don't cost too much (maybe $10-20).
    >>

    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Kari
    >>

    > This is great info, thanks! Can you tell me though, which is the most modern
    > drive that can read TK5 0 tapes?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Rob

    My understanding is that TZ85, TZ86, and TZ87 (but not TZ87N) can read
    (but not write) TK50 and TK70 tapes.

    There is another issue, though. If your host can not transfer data
    to/from the drive fast enough, the drive will drop out of streaming mode
    and start "shoe shining". This can be rough on the drives and tapes.

    If all you want to do is read TK50 tapes, you should be OK. However, if
    you want to use the higher densities, I strongly recommend that you not
    use the 3100. The 3100 SCSI interface struggles to support 1MB/sec, and
    this pretty much saturates the CPU.

    You would need to test with the VLC and Jensen.

    Chris Scheers, Applied Synergy, Inc.

    Voice: 817-237-3360 Internet: chris@applied-synergy.com
    Fax: 817-237-3074

  17. Re: TK70 Interface

    Uusimäki skrev:
    > Robert Jarratt wrote:
    >> I just bought a TK70 that was advertised as being SCSI. However it
    >> does not look like a SCSI interface to me. There is a blue connector
    >> with 26 pins. What interface is this?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Rob
    >>

    > It is definitely not SCSI.
    > You need a special controller (adapter) board to use the drive. In Qbus
    > machines (VAX 3xxx/MicroVAX 3xxxx, VAX4xxx) the controller is called
    > TQK70 (M7559). There is a controller/adapter for BI-bus machines (e.g.
    > VAX6xxx) also. It is called TBK70.
    >
    > I doubt that there are any other possibilities to use than with those
    > adapters.

    There was/is a conversion board for the TK50, which is the predecessor to the
    TK70, to get a SCSI-interface on it. Has anyone tried use that board with a
    TK70? Admittendly, the SCSI-adapter for the TK50 was far from perfect, from what
    I've read about it. I have one here, but I have never tried it, since I actually
    need/use the drives with the TQK50 or TUK50 controllers...
    The TQK70 controller can also be used with a TK50 drive, by the way.

    Johnny

    --
    Johnny Billquist || "I'm on a bus
    || on a psychedelic trip
    email: bqt@softjar.se || Reading murder books

  18. Re: TK70 Interface

    Johnny Billquist wrote:
    > Uusimäki skrev:
    >> Robert Jarratt wrote:
    >>> I just bought a TK70 that was advertised as being SCSI. However it
    >>> does not look like a SCSI interface to me. There is a blue connector
    >>> with 26 pins. What interface is this?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>>
    >>> Rob
    >>>

    >> It is definitely not SCSI.
    >> You need a special controller (adapter) board to use the drive. In
    >> Qbus machines (VAX 3xxx/MicroVAX 3xxxx, VAX4xxx) the controller is
    >> called TQK70 (M7559). There is a controller/adapter for BI-bus
    >> machines (e.g. VAX6xxx) also. It is called TBK70.
    >>
    >> I doubt that there are any other possibilities to use than with those
    >> adapters.

    > There was/is a conversion board for the TK50, which is the predecessor
    > to the TK70, to get a SCSI-interface on it. Has anyone tried use that
    > board with a TK70? Admittendly, the SCSI-adapter for the TK50 was far
    > from perfect, from what I've read about it. I have one here, but I have
    > never tried it, since I actually need/use the drives with the TQK50 or
    > TUK50 controllers...
    > The TQK70 controller can also be used with a TK50 drive, by the way.
    >
    > Johnny

    Do you mean the board which is in the TK50Z?

    Regards,

    Kari

  19. Re: TK70 Interface

    Uusimäki skrev:
    > Johnny Billquist wrote:
    >> Uusimäki skrev:

    >>> It is definitely not SCSI.
    >>> You need a special controller (adapter) board to use the drive. In
    >>> Qbus machines (VAX 3xxx/MicroVAX 3xxxx, VAX4xxx) the controller is
    >>> called TQK70 (M7559). There is a controller/adapter for BI-bus
    >>> machines (e.g. VAX6xxx) also. It is called TBK70.
    >>>
    >>> I doubt that there are any other possibilities to use than with those
    >>> adapters.

    >> There was/is a conversion board for the TK50, which is the predecessor
    >> to the TK70, to get a SCSI-interface on it. Has anyone tried use that
    >> board with a TK70? Admittendly, the SCSI-adapter for the TK50 was far
    >> from perfect, from what I've read about it. I have one here, but I
    >> have never tried it, since I actually need/use the drives with the
    >> TQK50 or TUK50 controllers...
    >> The TQK70 controller can also be used with a TK50 drive, by the way.
    >>
    >> Johnny
    >>

    > Do you mean the board which is in the TK50Z?

    Yes.

    Johnny

    --
    Johnny Billquist || "I'm on a bus