Alphaserver 1200 - DEC

This is a discussion on Alphaserver 1200 - DEC ; Alphaserver 1200 for sale in Oztralia. No OS installed :-( Wot could I do with it if I buy it ? Linux ? :-) Widmerpool...

  1. Alphaserver 1200

    Alphaserver 1200 for sale in Oztralia.
    No OS installed :-( Wot could I do with it if I buy it ?
    Linux ? :-)
    Widmerpool

  2. Re: Alphaserver 1200

    widmerpool wrote:
    > Alphaserver 1200 for sale in Oztralia.
    > No OS installed :-( Wot could I do with it if I buy it ?
    > Linux ? :-)
    > Widmerpool

    Install OpenVMS, then have the most secure server for:
    - email (pmdf or CommuniGate Pro)
    - ftp
    - http (WASD or Apache, WASD preferred!)

    All free for hobby users.....

  3. Re: Alphaserver 1200

    In <13nr0rjmv2oiqc7@corp.supernews.com> widmerpool writes:

    >Alphaserver 1200 for sale in Oztralia.
    >No OS installed :-( Wot could I do with it if I buy it ?
    >Linux ? :-)

    You have a couple of options, starting with the free OS choices:
    OpenBSD, Linux (various distros), NetBSD.

    The non-free OSes which you still may be able to get or not:
    VMS, WindowsNT, True64.

    Embryonic support was available for Plan9, don't know if that's still the
    case, I'm currently unable to connect to their website...

    I'm sure that this list is not complete,
    HTH,
    Uli
    --
    Dipl. Inf. Ulrich Teichert|e-mail: Ulrich.Teichert@gmx.de
    Stormweg 24 |Der Weisse Raum (Der Dritte Mann), Is It Good Or

  4. Re: Alphaserver 1200

    Ulrich.Teichert@gmx.de wrote:
    > In <13nr0rjmv2oiqc7@corp.supernews.com> widmerpool writes:
    >
    >> Alphaserver 1200 for sale in Oztralia.
    >> No OS installed :-( Wot could I do with it if I buy it ?
    >> Linux ? :-)

    > You have a couple of options, starting with the free OS choices:
    > OpenBSD, Linux (various distros), NetBSD.
    >
    > The non-free OSes which you still may be able to get or not:
    > VMS, WindowsNT, True64.
    >
    > Embryonic support was available for Plan9, don't know if that's still the
    > case, I'm currently unable to connect to their website...
    >
    > I'm sure that this list is not complete,
    > HTH,
    > Uli

    VMS is free with a hobbyist license - non-commercial usage and you must
    join DECUS/Encompass (free)

    Cheers

  5. Re: Alphaserver 1200

    Gremlin wrote:
    > Ulrich.Teichert@gmx.de wrote:
    >> In <13nr0rjmv2oiqc7@corp.supernews.com> widmerpool
    >> writes:
    >>
    >>> Alphaserver 1200 for sale in Oztralia.
    >>> No OS installed :-( Wot could I do with it if I buy it ?
    >>> Linux ? :-)

    >> You have a couple of options, starting with the free OS choices:
    >> OpenBSD, Linux (various distros), NetBSD.
    >>
    >> The non-free OSes which you still may be able to get or not:
    >> VMS, WindowsNT, True64.
    >>
    >> Embryonic support was available for Plan9, don't know if that's still the
    >> case, I'm currently unable to connect to their website...
    >>
    >> I'm sure that this list is not complete,
    >> HTH,
    >> Uli

    > VMS is free with a hobbyist license - non-commercial usage and you must
    > join DECUS/Encompass (free)
    >
    > Cheers

    Many years ago,back in the dreamtime I was in DECUS. I had rainbows
    and Decmates and PDP-11s' :-(
    W.

  6. Re: Alphaserver 1200

    widmerpool wrote:
    > Gremlin wrote:
    >> Ulrich.Teichert@gmx.de wrote:

    >>> You have a couple of options, starting with the free OS choices:
    >>> OpenBSD, Linux (various distros), NetBSD.
    >>>
    >>> The non-free OSes which you still may be able to get or not:
    >>> VMS, WindowsNT, True64.
    >>>
    >>> Embryonic support was available for Plan9, don't know if that's still
    >>> the
    >>> case, I'm currently unable to connect to their website...
    >>>
    >>> I'm sure that this list is not complete,
    >>> HTH,
    >>> Uli

    >> VMS is free with a hobbyist license - non-commercial usage and you
    >> must join DECUS/Encompass (free)
    >>
    >> Cheers

    > Many years ago,back in the dreamtime I was in DECUS. I had rainbows
    > and Decmates and PDP-11s' :-(
    > W.

    They still exist!!!! And and use by many.......at least an AlphaServer
    1200 running VMS 8.3 will be a secure platform for ftp/mail/web without
    all those nasty side-effects from MS/Linux/Unix.

    DECUS sill lives in the world, although in some places it is called
    Encompass - drop by your local site some time and see what they are up
    to....

  7. Re: Alphaserver 1200

    Gremlin wrote:
    > widmerpool wrote:
    >> Gremlin wrote:

    >>> VMS is free with a hobbyist license - non-commercial usage and you
    >>> must join DECUS/Encompass (free)
    >>>
    >>> Cheers

    >> Many years ago,back in the dreamtime I was in DECUS. I had rainbows
    >> and Decmates and PDP-11s' :-(
    >> W.

    > They still exist!!!! And and use by many.......at least an AlphaServer
    > 1200 running VMS 8.3 will be a secure platform for ftp/mail/web without
    > all those nasty side-effects from MS/Linux/Unix.
    >
    > DECUS sill lives in the world, although in some places it is called
    > Encompass - drop by your local site some time and see what they are up
    > to....

    I know there is probably a FAQ somewhere but will an ordinary VGA
    monitor run with wun of these ?

  8. Re: Alphaserver 1200

    widmerpool wrote:
    > Gremlin wrote:
    >> widmerpool wrote:

    >>> Many years ago,back in the dreamtime I was in DECUS. I had
    >>> rainbows and Decmates and PDP-11s' :-(
    >>> W.

    >> They still exist!!!! And and use by many.......at least an
    >> AlphaServer 1200 running VMS 8.3 will be a secure platform for
    >> ftp/mail/web without all those nasty side-effects from MS/Linux/Unix.
    >>
    >> DECUS sill lives in the world, although in some places it is called
    >> Encompass - drop by your local site some time and see what they are up
    >> to....

    > I know there is probably a FAQ somewhere but will an ordinary VGA
    > monitor run with wun of these ?

    Depends on the card in the AlphaServer, but it is possible. I have
    several Vaxen (Alphas really), with VGA running fine - both as terminal
    and DECwindows.

  9. Re: Alphaserver 1200

    Hi,

    You can be certain that any VGA monitor will work with this AlphaServer --
    assuming of course that the AS has a video card! (I don't recall if this
    was the default configuration.) If it *does* have video card you shouldn't
    expect greater than 1200x1024 resolution from it unless the previous
    (current?) owner was running some graphics-intensive app.

    Regards,

    Jeremy Begg
    (replace nospam by my first name to reply)