Emulating a TU58 drive with a PC: cable question - DEC

This is a discussion on Emulating a TU58 drive with a PC: cable question - DEC ; Hi to everyone, today i decided to get back to my VAX 11/725. The machine seems to be in good conditions except for the tu58 drive, which suffer from the capstan problem, and completely ruined the firmware tape (this happened ...

  1. Emulating a TU58 drive with a PC: cable question

    Hi to everyone,
    today i decided to get back to my VAX 11/725.
    The machine seems to be in good conditions except for the tu58 drive, which
    suffer from the capstan problem, and completely ruined the firmware tape
    (this happened before i got my hands on the machine :-( ).
    I think i found the tape images for the firmware, now all i need is to
    setup a machine with dos/unix to run the emulator and connect the
    vax to the "fake" drive.

    I wasn't able to found an explicit scheme for the tu58--pc_serial cable
    i need to build, so after some research i came up with this:

    TU58 DRIVE CONNECTOR

    (male) (female)
    ___---___ ___---___
    |0 2 4 6 8| |8 6 4 2 0|
    |1 3 X 7 9| |9 7 X 3 1|
    --------- ---------

    0 --> GND
    1 --> AUX-B
    2 --> RX-
    3 --> RX+
    4 --> GND
    5 --> *NOT CONNECTED*
    6 --> TX+
    7 --> TX-
    8 --> AUX-A
    9 --> GND

    Connection to RS232 (crossed)

    TU58 ---- DB9
    3 -------> 3 (tx)
    6 -------> 2 (rx)
    2 --,----> 5 (gnd)
    7 __|

    Would this work? do i need to gnd the AUX signals? anyone attempted to
    do this?

    Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
    Hkz

    --
    "La profonda attrazione esercitata da (...) sentirsi parte di una
    potente Elite tecnologica non dovrebbe mai essere sottovalutata."

  2. Re: Emulating a TU58 drive with a PC: cable question

    Il Sat, 29 Dec 2007 12:51:08 +0000, Hkz ha scritto:

    > Connection to RS232 (crossed)
    >
    > TU58 ---- DB9
    > 3 -------> 3 (tx)
    > 6 -------> 2 (rx)
    > 2 --,----> 5 (gnd)
    > 7 __|

    Uhmm... i had a second tought on this one...
    as the pinout TU58 i have found is for the DRIVE, and not the controller,
    i think that this would be more correct:

    TU58 ---- DB9
    3 -------> 2 (rx)
    6 -------> 3 (tx)
    2 --,----> 5 (gnd)
    7 __|

    This is because if the pin is named RX on the drive, the pc emulating it
    should also receive on it, same consideration for the TX.

    Sigh, will i ever get this done right? :P

    --
    "La profonda attrazione esercitata da (...) sentirsi parte di una
    potente Elite tecnologica non dovrebbe mai essere sottovalutata."
    -Bruce Sterling
    HKZlab Network: http://hkzlab.spatof.org
    INTERnet -> nightshade@email.it
    Retro DECnet -> 1126::HKZ

  3. Re: Emulating a TU58 drive with a PC: cable question

    Il Sat, 29 Dec 2007 12:51:08 +0000, Hkz ha scritto:

    Problem "solved" (the vax still has to boot, anyway).
    I used this scheme, and the VAX11 communicated with the emu software:

    CONTROLLER PC
    TU58 ---- DB9
    3 -------> 2 (rx)
    6 -------> 3 (tx)
    2 --,----> 5 (gnd)
    7 __|
    9 __|
    0 __|
    4 __|

    Bye everyone :-)
    --
    "La profonda attrazione esercitata da (...) sentirsi parte di una
    potente Elite tecnologica non dovrebbe mai essere sottovalutata."
    -Bruce Sterling
    HKZlab Network: http://hkzlab.spatof.org
    INTERnet -> nightshade@email.it
    Retro DECnet -> 1126::HKZ

  4. Re: Emulating a TU58 drive with a PC: cable question

    On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 15:20:30 UTC, Hkz wrote:

    > Il Sat, 29 Dec 2007 12:51:08 +0000, Hkz ha scritto:
    >
    > Problem "solved" (the vax still has to boot, anyway).
    > I used this scheme, and the VAX11 communicated with the emu software:
    >

    > CONTROLLER PC
    > TU58 ---- DB9
    > 3 -------> 2 (rx)
    > 6 -------> 3 (tx)
    > 2 --,----> 5 (gnd)
    > 7 __|
    > 9 __|
    > 0 __|
    > 4 __|
    >
    > Bye everyone :-)

    Is this software to emulate the TU58? If so, where did you get it?
    --
    Bob Eager
    begin 123 a new life...take up Extreme Ironing!

  5. Re: Emulating a TU58 drive with a PC: cable question

    Il Sat, 29 Dec 2007 16:16:52 +0000, Bob Eager ha scritto:

    > Is this software to emulate the TU58? If so, where did you get it?

    http://www.fpns.net/willy/pdp11/ltu58.htm
    Here it is, now the vax boots a diagnostic tape, but with a console tape
    for an 11/730 i get a UPC=FFFF message.

    --
    "La profonda attrazione esercitata da (...) sentirsi parte di una
    potente Elite tecnologica non dovrebbe mai essere sottovalutata."
    -Bruce Sterling
    HKZlab Network: http://hkzlab.spatof.org
    INTERnet -> nightshade@email.it
    Retro DECnet -> 1126::HKZ

  6. Re: Emulating a TU58 drive with a PC: cable question

    On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 09:58:15 UTC, Hkz wrote:

    > Il Sat, 29 Dec 2007 16:16:52 +0000, Bob Eager ha scritto:
    >
    > > Is this software to emulate the TU58? If so, where did you get it?

    > http://www.fpns.net/willy/pdp11/ltu58.htm
    > Here it is, now the vax boots a diagnostic tape, but with a console tape
    > for an 11/730 i get a UPC=FFFF message.

    Thanks...I'll take a look. Although I'll be wanting to run it on
    FreeBSD.

    The problem is that there have been so many stty etc. variations over
    the last 30-odd years, starting in my case with v6. This always seems to
    be a bit of a problem.

    --
    Bob Eager
    begin 123 a new life...take up Extreme Ironing!

+ Reply to Thread