CS20 help - DEC

This is a discussion on CS20 help - DEC ; I received an API CS20 Monday that I bought second-hand. It had a bad power supply (red LED in standby mode and would not power up). I replaced the power supply with a spare I had and it powered up, ...

  1. CS20 help

    I received an API CS20 Monday that I bought second-hand. It had a bad
    power supply (red LED in standby mode and would not power up). I
    replaced the power supply with a spare I had and it powered up, and
    LEDs are now green. Unfortunately, I am not getting output from
    either serial port (I expect to see "2048 Meg of system memory,
    Initializing GCT/FRU", etc etc).

    I have tried the recovery options documented in the user manual by
    setting jumpers on the J2 jumper block (restore factory default
    environment settings, upgrade/recover firmware, and failsafe reflash
    from CD-ROM). None of these jumper settings appeared to do anything,
    and I never saw any kind of output on my serial console.

    I also swapped all RAM from a healthy CS20 I already had - the healthy
    CS20 still boots fine, and no change on the "new" machine. There is
    also no change if I power on the machine with no system RAM at all.
    Nothing I've tried so far has produced a visible change in the power-
    on sequence after replacing the power supply. At this point, I am not
    sure what is wrong and could use some advice.

    I am wondering if the flash memory containing the SRM has been
    damaged, perhaps when the original power supply died. Does this seem
    reasonable? I found the flash memory IC on the motherboard (an
    AM29F040B-120JC), and it seems I could order a replacement IC
    cheaply. Assuming this was the problem, I could then do a failsafe
    reflash from CD-ROM. But I am just guessing here.

    Any advice appreciated. Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: CS20 help

    cpp wrote:
    > I received an API CS20 Monday that I bought second-hand. It had a bad
    > power supply (red LED in standby mode and would not power up). I
    > replaced the power supply with a spare I had and it powered up, and
    > LEDs are now green. Unfortunately, I am not getting output from
    > either serial port (I expect to see "2048 Meg of system memory,
    > Initializing GCT/FRU", etc etc).
    >
    > I have tried the recovery options documented in the user manual by
    > setting jumpers on the J2 jumper block (restore factory default
    > environment settings, upgrade/recover firmware, and failsafe reflash
    > from CD-ROM). None of these jumper settings appeared to do anything,
    > and I never saw any kind of output on my serial console.
    >
    > I also swapped all RAM from a healthy CS20 I already had - the healthy
    > CS20 still boots fine, and no change on the "new" machine. There is
    > also no change if I power on the machine with no system RAM at all.
    > Nothing I've tried so far has produced a visible change in the power-
    > on sequence after replacing the power supply. At this point, I am not
    > sure what is wrong and could use some advice.
    >
    > I am wondering if the flash memory containing the SRM has been
    > damaged, perhaps when the original power supply died. Does this seem
    > reasonable? I found the flash memory IC on the motherboard (an
    > AM29F040B-120JC), and it seems I could order a replacement IC
    > cheaply. Assuming this was the problem, I could then do a failsafe
    > reflash from CD-ROM. But I am just guessing here.
    >
    > Any advice appreciated. Thanks in advance.

    I don't have experience with this type of Alpha machine, but I assume it
    works about as most other Alpha workstations do.

    Does the machine have a graphics adapter? If it has one and the nvram
    battery is empty, the console output is usually redirected to the
    graphics console by default. So you could try to hook a monitor up and
    see what you get there.

    If you are lucky, you'll see the "windows" type of startup screen, where
    the self tests are shown and when they are done a menu type of GUI.

    If there is something wrong with the machine, it should tell it by
    sounding one or many "beep codes" - a string of short and long beeps in
    succession. What each beep code means is described in the user manual.

    If none of these are of any help, please inform and I'll try to find
    more troubleshooting options.

    Regards,

    Kari

  3. Re: CS20 help

    On Dec 3, 4:12 pm, Uusimäki
    wrote:
    > cpp wrote:

    > > I have tried the recovery options documented in the user manual by
    > > setting jumpers on the J2 jumper block (restore factory default
    > > environment settings, upgrade/recover firmware, and failsafe reflash
    > > from CD-ROM). None of these jumper settings appeared to do anything,
    > > and I never saw any kind of output on my serial console.

    > I don't have experience with this type of Alpha machine, but I assume it
    > works about as most other Alpha workstations do.
    >
    > Does the machine have a graphics adapter? If it has one and the nvram
    > battery is empty, the console output is usually redirected to the
    > graphics console by default. So you could try to hook a monitor up and
    > see what you get there.
    >
    > If you are lucky, you'll see the "windows" type of startup screen, where
    > the self tests are shown and when they are done a menu type of GUI.
    >
    > If there is something wrong with the machine, it should tell it by
    > sounding one or many "beep codes" - a string of short and long beeps in
    > succession. What each beep code means is described in the user manual.
    >
    > If none of these are of any help, please inform and I'll try to find
    > more troubleshooting options.

    Thanks for the suggestions, Kari. This machine does not have a
    graphics adapter and does not emit beep codes. But I was able
    to get into the FSL and get SRM back on the machine by jumpering
    pins 15 and 16 along with pins 1,2 and 3,4. In my previous
    attempt, I did not have the jumper on pins 15 and 16.

    Thanks,
    Craig

+ Reply to Thread