Looking for HSZ 50 parts and info - DEC

This is a discussion on Looking for HSZ 50 parts and info - DEC ; first, is it worthwhile to dig around and find cables to run an HSZ50 with two shelves of drives? This would run off of an alpha. Second, what is the cable type required to connect the controller to the drive ...

  1. Looking for HSZ 50 parts and info

    first, is it worthwhile to dig around and find cables to run an HSZ50
    with two shelves of drives? This would run off of an alpha.

    Second, what is the cable type required to connect the controller to the
    drive shelves and the cable to connect the HSZ controller to the alpha
    or vax? I have come up with two types - BN37 and BN21, but no data on
    the cables themselves.

    third, anyone know a source for these cables assuming it is worthwhile
    to run an HSZ50?
    thanks
    bob

  2. Re: Looking for HSZ 50 parts and info

    On Nov 12, 9:17 am, bob wrote:
    > first, is it worthwhile to dig around and find cables to run an HSZ50
    > with two shelves of drives? This would run off of an alpha.

    Worthwile compared to what?

    If you're running DSSI right now, then I'd say HSZ50 is better. If
    you need some of the RAID features that the HSZ50 (with the right
    firmware) can provide then again yes it's worthwile.

    If this is a production environment then I might not bother. You can
    pick up HSG80s and fiber channel adapters on eBay relatively
    inexpensively (especially if you're patient).

    > Second, what is the cable type required to connect the controller to the
    > drive shelves and the cable to connect the HSZ controller to the alpha
    > or vax? I have come up with two types - BN37 and BN21, but no data on
    > the cables themselves.

    BN21K-xx is the cable between the controller and host adapter (where -
    xx is the cable length in meters). It is 68pin high density, fast-
    wide differential, SCSI-2 (aka ultra-wide SCSI), with male connectors
    on each end.

    Check the Golden Eggs drawing for the RA450 for the part numbers of
    the tri-link (y-cable) and terminators.

    http://h18000.www1.hp.com/info/GES021/GES021PF.PDF

    You mentioned both VAX and Alpha, but I'm not sure you'll find a
    SCSI-2 FWD controller for a VAX.

    > third, anyone know a source for these cables assuming it is worthwhile
    > to run an HSZ50?

    eBay. Most any DEC surplus vendor will have them as well.

    Most cable manufacturers *should* have a cross reference, or just pick
    stock cables that have the correct connectors on each end.

+ Reply to Thread