Installing Programs under P/OS - DEC

This is a discussion on Installing Programs under P/OS - DEC ; I finally have my DEC PRO 350 up and running P/OS 3.2 ! Now, however, I'm trying to install other software and I'm getting the message that some of the files must be installed system-wide and I need a system ...

  1. Installing Programs under P/OS

    I finally have my DEC PRO 350 up and running P/OS 3.2 ! Now, however, I'm
    trying to install other software and I'm getting the message that some of
    the files must be installed system-wide and I need a system administrator to
    do that. There's only one account on the machine (SYSTEM) and it's a
    privileged account. How can I install these programs system-wide? Is there
    some trick to it?

    TIA

    Tom Lake

  2. Re: Installing Programs under P/OS

    On Mon, 12 Nov 2007, Tom Lake wrote:

    > I finally have my DEC PRO 350 up and running P/OS 3.2 ! Now,
    > however, I'm trying to install other software and I'm getting the
    > message that some of the files must be installed system-wide and I
    > need a system administrator to do that.

    I have never used a P/OS, but it is derived from RSX which I am
    familiar with. I have never heard the term "system-wide" used in the
    way you describe it in RSX. What is the exact message?

    In RSX, "install" means something different from what it does nowadays
    in the MS Windows world. Perhaps you just need to type

    > INSTALL filespec

    and perhaps add it to [1,2]STARTUP.CMD (or whatever it is that
    configures everything at boot time).

    > There's only one account on the machine (SYSTEM) and it's a
    > privileged account.

    That should be enough. There is not anything more.

    > Is there some trick to it?

    Hopefully, some PRO pro will enlighten us shortly.

    ;-)

    --

    Rob Brown b r o w n a t g m c l d o t c o m
    G. Michaels Consulting Ltd. (780)438-9343 (voice)

  3. Re: Installing Programs under P/OS

    "Rob Brown" wrote in message
    news:Pine.LNX.4.61.0711121046470.20238@localhost.l ocaldomain...
    > On Mon, 12 Nov 2007, Tom Lake wrote:
    >
    > I have never used a P/OS, but it is derived from RSX which I am familiar
    > with. I have never heard the term "system-wide" used in the way you
    > describe it in RSX. What is the exact message?

    NOTICE
    The application you are installing contains system-wide components
    which must be installed from a privileged account on a Server or
    Standalone system. These components may already be installed,
    contact your system manager.

    > In RSX, "install" means something different from what it does nowadays in
    > the MS Windows world. Perhaps you just need to type
    >
    > > INSTALL filespec

    Type if from where? I can't even get out of the menu system!

    Tom Lake

  4. Re: Installing Programs under P/OS

    Evidently, P/OS is just too different from RSX for my knowledge to be
    much direct use. Where is a PRO pro when you need one?

    On Mon, 12 Nov 2007, Tom Lake wrote:

    > NOTICE
    > The application you are installing contains system-wide components
    > which must be installed from a privileged account on a Server or
    > Standalone system. These components may already be installed,
    > contact your system manager.

    To me, this message seems to say that you are not privileged.

    Can you verify that your account is privileged? In RSX, that meant
    the UIC group number was 10 or less.

    It might matter what your current directory or current UIC is. Make
    sure that your current UIC is group 10 or less. Perhaps if you are
    not in the right UIC or the right directory, your privilege "goes
    away". Similar things happen to privileged users in RSX.

    Obviously, I know nothing about P/OS so I don't know how these RSX
    concepts transfer. I had no idea that you were locked into a menu
    system.

    Good luck.

    - Rob

    --

    Rob Brown b r o w n a t g m c l d o t c o m
    G. Michaels Consulting Ltd. (780)438-9343 (voice)
    Edmonton (780)437-3367 (FAX)
    http://gmcl.com/

  5. Re: Installing Programs under P/OS

    "Rob Brown" wrote in message
    news:Pine.LNX.4.61.0711121457350.22898@localhost.l ocaldomain...

    > Evidently, P/OS is just too different from RSX for my knowledge to be much
    > direct use. Where is a PRO pro when you need one?

    I'm becoming one rapidly! I got those apps to install. What I did was
    search
    through all the menus and found an Add to Library menu. When I chose that
    I noticed that one of the options was Add system-wide components to
    Public Library. I tried that then installed the app as usual and it worked!
    It's tough having only a manual for P/OS 2.0 when I have 3.2 installed.
    The manual is no help at all and most of the menus in 3.2 are totally
    different than in the older OS.

    Thanks for your replies!

    Tom Lake

  6. Re: Installing Programs under P/OS

    "Tom Lake" wrote in message

    > "Rob Brown" wrote in message
    > news:Pine.LNX.4.61.0711121046470.20238@localhost.l ocaldomain...
    > > On Mon, 12 Nov 2007, Tom Lake wrote:
    > >
    > > I have never used a P/OS, but it is derived from RSX which I am familiar
    > > with. I have never heard the term "system-wide" used in the way you
    > > describe it in RSX. What is the exact message?

    > NOTICE
    > The application you are installing contains system-wide components
    > which must be installed from a privileged account on a Server or
    > Standalone system. These components may already be installed,
    > contact your system manager.
    >

    > > In RSX, "install" means something different from what it does nowadays

    in
    > > the MS Windows world. Perhaps you just need to type
    > >
    > > > INSTALL filespec

    > Type if from where? I can't even get out of the menu system!

    Until you install the Pro Tool Kit, you aren't getting out of the menus.
    The Pro Tool kit adds a middlin' passable version of the RSX command line
    environment. And, installing the Pro Tool Kit lets you run the single most
    important program in all of RSX - RMD, invoked by the command SHO MEM. Its
    hypnotizing vision of what's in memory and what's running has bedazzled many
    a generation of PDP-11 programmers and system managers. Long have I stared
    at it, as tasks leapt in and out of partitions, and pool went up and (more
    usually) down. I don't knwo what it is about it, but it's my favorite system
    status display, from any OS.

    Sorry, can't help much with the installing of tasks for the menu system -
    IMHO, the thing to do with a PRO is to set the Tool Kit as the task to run
    on signon (done in the Environment Services menu, and get to the $ prompt
    ASAP, so I can pretend I'm running RSX on a reall 11.

    --
    Lee K. Gleason N5ZMR
    Control-G Consultants

+ Reply to Thread