(UK) DECServer 90TL 4MB SIMM required - DEC

This is a discussion on (UK) DECServer 90TL 4MB SIMM required - DEC ; Hi, Does anyone have a 4MB SIMM (FPM, parity I believe) suitable for a DECServer 90TL (in the UK, preferably, although I guess anywhere is good)? I'd like to get rid of the annoying telnet 'echo echo' when running as ...

  1. (UK) DECServer 90TL 4MB SIMM required

    Hi,

    Does anyone have a 4MB SIMM (FPM, parity I believe) suitable for a
    DECServer 90TL (in the UK, preferably, although I guess anywhere is
    good)?

    I'd like to get rid of the annoying telnet 'echo echo' when running as
    a telnet listener for my VAX/DEC gear connected via serial reverse
    lookup. I've not found anywhere on the net that gives a fix for this
    problem, so am assuming that it is down to a limitation of version 1
    of the firmware. I need the extra memory to run the updated firmware
    which handles telnet echo negotiation properly).

    I am, of course, willing to pay for one. I've found a possible
    candidate at 15 GBP, so anything below that (preferably free+postage!)
    would be great.

    I now have a near perfect setup at home (thanks to the DECServer and a
    home-built remote mains switch for all my boxes) and this is the one
    remaining thorn in the side (it is very off-putting seeing everything
    twice when you are trying to do a BBAACCKKUPP DDKKAA110000::
    MMUUAA660000: !!!!)

    Thanks for the help, Mark.

  2. Re: (UK) DECServer 90TL 4MB SIMM required

    "urbancamo" wrote in message
    news:1193930274.682839.22420@d55g2000hsg.googlegro ups.com...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Does anyone have a 4MB SIMM (FPM, parity I believe) suitable for a
    > DECServer 90TL (in the UK, preferably, although I guess anywhere is
    > good)?
    >
    > I'd like to get rid of the annoying telnet 'echo echo' when running as
    > a telnet listener for my VAX/DEC gear connected via serial reverse
    > lookup. I've not found anywhere on the net that gives a fix for this
    > problem, so am assuming that it is down to a limitation of version 1
    > of the firmware. I need the extra memory to run the updated firmware
    > which handles telnet echo negotiation properly).
    >
    > I am, of course, willing to pay for one. I've found a possible
    > candidate at 15 GBP, so anything below that (preferably free+postage!)
    > would be great.
    >
    > I now have a near perfect setup at home (thanks to the DECServer and a
    > home-built remote mains switch for all my boxes) and this is the one
    > remaining thorn in the side (it is very off-putting seeing everything
    > twice when you are trying to do a BBAACCKKUPP DDKKAA110000::
    > MMUUAA660000: !!!!)
    >
    > Thanks for the help, Mark.

    I *might* have something for you. I have been meaning to check what I have
    for a while, I just need to find a bit of time to put my inventory in order,
    the problem is that I have been away from home a bit recently for work and
    my family wants to see me. If I haven't contacted you in the next 10 days
    feel free to send me a reminder. My email address is the first three letters
    of my name followed by an underscore and then j37, all at hotmail (sorry for
    the cryptic contact details). By the way, I would not charge for just one
    stick of memory and it would not be worth sending me a few pennies for
    postage.

    I am curious about one thing: tell me about the remote mains switch, it
    sounds intriguing.

    Regards

    Rob

  3. Re: (UK) DECServer 90TL 4MB SIMM required

    Robert Jarratt wrote:

    > I am curious about one thing: tell me about the remote mains switch, it
    > sounds intriguing.

    I've been meaning to build it for ages, and finally got round to it.
    It's a box consisting of the following:

    An 8 x relay card (bought off ebay) which interfaces to a parallel
    port.
    8 x IDC 'Kettle' connector outlets, and one inlet (with switch)
    1 x 12 vot transformer (robbed from a 'plug in' type transformer lying
    around)

    All wired up internally using crimp connectors (for the most part).

    It plugs into the mains and the parallel port of a linux/intel server
    I have at home that runs 24x7. I have written a simple piece of
    software that controls the parallel port bits individually, and this
    in turn switches the relays and of course in turn, powers up or down
    external equipment (up to 240V 3A maximum).

    It works great. I SSH into my linux box from work/wherever and can
    turn my DEC equipment on/off remotely. I have the linux box connected
    to my DECServer via the admin port and then have my DEC equipment
    console ports connected via MMJ -> RJ45 cables to the other DECServer
    ports. It is setup to provide telnet listeners for all these ports.

    Only problem is this stupid double echo whenever you access one of
    these ports. Oh, and I have to be careful when the Linux box reboots
    because the parallel port initialisation temporarily switches on
    equipment. My solution to this is to connect the switch box to a MC68K
    single board computer I have which will then keep these connections
    stable during reboots (and will be controlled via another serial port
    on the Linux box). This will also have the advantage of being able to
    monitor equipment usage and I will be writing a web interface so that
    it can all be controlled via a browser (whilst brushing my my Java/
    Spring/Hibernate/JNI etc skillset)

    Anyone interested in more details - I will be taking pictures/
    providing details on the website at some point. My DEC stuff is
    detailed at http://www.wickensonline.co.uk/vaxen/index.html.

+ Reply to Thread