Some video cards on the early Alphastations had an anomaly where the
ground for one of the color signals was not actually grounded on the
board; the cables provided with DEC cards apparently performed the
needed connection, so if you used an aftermarket monitor with
dedicated cable or just a non-DEC cable, the display would be
compromised; ugly color fringing and the like.

I actually did a wee solder job on my ZLXp-E2 card to fix the issue,
connecting the one floating ground to one of the other signal
grounds. The display is very sharp and stable now on any bog-standard
VGA analog monitor, or on my VRC21 at home.

My work VAXstation 3100 with SPX graphics is now displaying on an NEC
LCD2010, and is definitely showing a little bit of fringing and a
shadow a few pixels to the right of the displayed items. Its still
better/clearer than the VR299 it replaced (which was fuzzy with age
but definitely did not have the shadow problem). I'm using the DEC
provided cable which appears to be in good condition. The monitor
reports incoming signal is 1280x1024, 70.4kHz horizontal, 66.5Hz
vertical with sync on green, as expected.

The monitor's fine adjustment helped a little but cannot eliminate the
fringing or shadow.

Are there any 'special circumstances' on VAXstation video output that
could lead to the minor display issues? Floating grounds, or anything
similar? Just looking to see if I can tweak things a little more to
get the best display possible given the antiques I'm using.

Thanks

Rich