    From: Bernard
    Subject: problem with sleep modes etc.. on a ThinkPad600 with Etch
    To: debian-laptop@lists.debian.org
    Date: Monday, November 10, 2008, 11:26 AM

    Hi to Everyone,

    The laptops interrupts (is this the right word ?) - which had worked
    perfectly well for many years on my ThinkPad 600 under RedHat 7.2 - do
    not operate under Debian Etch. Nothing shuts down or goes to sleep when
    I close the lid, neither the video nor the hard disk (I can hear its
    noise) ; I am not sure whether the fan works or not ; nothing goes to
    sleep after a while even when the system is powered on battery... if I
    press Fn+F4 on the keyboard (sleep icon), the system indeed goes to
    sleep, but then there is no way I can awaken it ... and a CTRL-ALT-DEL
    does nothing, same if pressing the OFF switch... the only way to get out
    of this is to unplug AC power AND remove battery
    for a few seconds, then
    put it back and start again. I now have to shutdown this laptop
    everyday, even several times a day, while, when it ran under RedHat 7.2,
    I practically never shut it down, just closed the lid.

    If someone wishes to see the /var/log/messages generated by my laptop
    system during last boot, this is being displayed at the following address.

    http://www.teaser.fr/~bdebreil/log_messages

    Thanks in advance for any shared experience or advice so as to get that
    old laptop operate as it should.

    Bernard

  2. Re: Fw: Re: problem with sleep modes etc.. on a ThinkPad600 with Etch

    Robert Smith wrote:

    > Assuming you don't have a partition set up for saving data through
    > machine "Hibernation," I would guess that by "sleep" you mean suspend.

    Yes, that must be it. I now remember that I had firstly set a special
    partition for hibernation mode, that was about six years ago, but this
    soon disappeared when I upgraded from RedHat 6.0 to RedHat 7.2, since I
    forgot to do this. So, my sleep modes must have been 'suspend', even
    though I must precise that such a suspend mode let me more than a week
    of autonomy on battery.

    > Have you tried issuing the command (as Root) "apm -s"? What does this
    > do? If it puts the machine into suspense, then you must relink that
    > command with the Fn-F4 key press.

    #apm -s
    No APM support in kernel

    'man apm' does provide a man page for 'apm', as if it was implemented. I
    have checked /var/log/messages and /var/log/syslog for the chain of
    characters 'apm', and it was absent from both files.

    However, my system hosts a number of files concerning "apm", as follows :

    localhost:/var/log# find / | grep apm
    /usr/include/linux/apm_bios.h
    /usr/include/asm/mach-default/apm.h
    /usr/include/asm-i486/mach-default/apm.h
    /usr/lib/libapm.so.1
    /usr/lib/libapm.so.1.0.0
    /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/apm_drv.so
    /usr/sbin/apmd
    /usr/bin/apmsleep
    /usr/bin/apm
    /usr/share/man/man4/apm.4.gz
    /usr/share/man/man1/apm_available.1
    /usr/share/man/man1/apm.1
    /usr/share/man/man1/apmsleep.1
    /usr/share/man/man8/apmd.8.gz
    /usr/share/man/fr/man1/apmsleep.1.gz
    /usr/share/apmd
    /usr/share/apmd/apmd_proxy.conf
    /usr/share/doc/apmd
    /usr/share/doc/apmd/README.Debian
    /usr/share/doc/apmd/changelog.gz
    /usr/share/doc/apmd/changelog.Debian.gz
    /usr/share/doc/apmd/apmsleep.README
    /usr/share/doc/apmd/AUTHORS
    /usr/share/doc/apmd/README
    /usr/share/doc/apmd/copyright
    /usr/share/doc/xserver-xorg-video-apm
    /usr/share/doc/xserver-xorg-video-apm/changelog.Debian.gz
    /usr/share/doc/xserver-xorg-video-apm/copyright
    /usr/share/doc/libapm1
    /usr/share/doc/libapm1/changelog.gz
    /usr/share/doc/libapm1/changelog.Debian.gz
    /usr/share/doc/libapm1/AUTHORS
    /usr/share/doc/libapm1/copyright
    /etc/init.d/apmd
    /etc/rc2.d/S20apmd
    /etc/rc4.d/S20apmd
    /etc/rc6.d/K20apmd
    /etc/rc1.d/K20apmd
    /etc/default/apmd
    /etc/rc3.d/S20apmd
    /etc/apm
    /etc/apm/event.d
    /etc/apm/event.d/20hdparm
    /etc/apm/event.d/anacron
    /etc/apm/apmd_proxy
    /etc/apm/suspend.d
    /etc/apm/suspend.d/99hwclock
    /etc/apm/suspend.d/20ifplugd
    /etc/apm/scripts.d
    /etc/apm/scripts.d/hwclock
    /etc/apm/scripts.d/ifplugd
    /etc/apm/other.d
    /etc/apm/other.d/50ifplugd
    /etc/apm/resume.d
    /etc/apm/resume.d/80ifplugd
    /etc/apm/resume.d/00hwclock
    /etc/rc0.d/K20apmd
    /etc/logcheck/ignore.d.paranoid/apmd
    /etc/rc5.d/S20apmd
    /var/lib/dpkg/info/xserver-xorg-video-apm.md5sums
    /var/lib/dpkg/info/apmd.postinst
    /var/lib/dpkg/info/libapm1.preinst
    /var/lib/dpkg/info/libapm1.md5sums
    /var/lib/dpkg/info/libapm1.postrm
    /var/lib/dpkg/info/apmd.prerm
    /var/lib/dpkg/info/apmd.postrm
    /var/lib/dpkg/info/libapm1.postinst
    /var/lib/dpkg/info/libapm1.list
    /var/lib/dpkg/info/apmd.list
    /var/lib/dpkg/info/libapm1.prerm
    /var/lib/dpkg/info/apmd.md5sums
    /var/lib/dpkg/info/xserver-xorg-video-apm.list
    /var/lib/dpkg/info/libapm1.shlibs
    /var/lib/dpkg/info/apmd.preinst
    /var/lib/dpkg/info/apmd.conffiles
    /var/cache/apt/archives/xserver-xorg-video-apm_1%3a1.1.1-3_i386.deb
    /var/cache/apt/archives/libapm1_3.2.2-8.1_i386.deb
    /var/cache/apt/archives/apmd_3.2.2-8.1_i386.deb
    /lib/modules/2.6.18-6-686/kernel/drivers/net/arcnet/capmode.ko
    /lib/modules/2.6.18-6-686/kernel/arch/i386/kernel/apm.ko
    /dev/.static/dev/apm_bios
    /sbin/apm_available

    So, I don't know why apm is not installed. I will take some time reading
    about conffiles which I have just discovered in listing this.

    > I remember reading something about how this function might not work on
    > 600s if the floppy disk drive's driver were not loaded. Could this be
    > your problem in a day and age where floppies are almost unheard of?

    I have never known such problem with my TP600. Suspend mode or something
    similar, did function perfectly for years, without floppy driver (I
    don't even know where to find that thing now )