screenshots.debian.net goes beta - Debian

This is a discussion on screenshots.debian.net goes beta - Debian ; On Dienstag, 11. November 2008, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote: > On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 01:02:42AM +0100, Christoph Haas wrote: > > > * There are 14 pages and the navigation is truncated to 'Page: 1 2 > > > ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 38 of 38

  1. Re: screenshots.debian.net goes beta

    On Dienstag, 11. November 2008, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
    > On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 01:02:42AM +0100, Christoph Haas wrote:
    > > > * There are 14 pages and the navigation is truncated to 'Page: 1 2
    > > > 3 .. 14 >'. Could you (optionally) display links to all pages? Or
    > > > alter the number of results per page (increase, or make user
    > > > configurable)?

    > > I'll change the pager radius to 10. Will be fixed in the next
    > > deployment.

    > Actually, in the long run I don't think it will be a good idea of
    > having all pages link, but a radius increase is good.

    Seconded.

    > But this brings me to another idea:
    >
    > Given how short the current package listing pages are, how about
    > adding an extra column showing right away in the browsing table the
    > "most popular" screenshot, with the same super-cool effect which is
    > then used in the per-package page? That would add the benefit of
    > browsing "visually" through packages. Of course the same could be
    > done for the search result page.

    I got asked whether I could create a table of packages with the thumbnails
    shown already (or perhaps a checkbox to enable that in the usual table).
    That would save some clicking and navigating.

    > According to my understanding of the frameworks like Pylons, that
    > would impact a bit on performances, as you'd have to pre-fetch some
    > screenshots, but given the current size of lists it can be acceptable,
    > can't it?

    Perhaps I can put a Squid in front if that really affects performance.
    Until the service is heavily used and linked from packages.d.o I don't
    expect much load though.

    > Also, I fail to understand if the screenshots are indexed per
    > binary-package or per source-package. Given you link to package.d.o I
    > presume the former, but then have you thought about how to reconcile
    > screenshots coming from different binary packages? Should they?

    Currently it's per binary package. It has the advantage that users (who are
    the main beneficians from the screenshots service IMHO) don't care about
    source packages but want to see screenshots for the packages they can
    install in synaptic or aptitude. Some of the binary packages (e.g. *-data
    or *-dbg) don't really need screenshots. I'm working with Enrico's nifty
    debtags soon to fix that.

    Christoph

  2. Re: screenshots.debian.net goes beta

    On Dienstag, 11. November 2008, Paul Wise wrote:
    > On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 9:08 AM, Raphael Geissert
    >
    > wrote:
    > > * When browsing the packages list it would be great if you could also
    > > provide links to browse packages by name (e.g. A, B, C, etc, you get
    > > what I mean). * Have you considered storing more information together
    > > with the images? (the version of the package is what I believe is the
    > > most relevant missing information).

    > Version info would be useful for providing a list of packages with
    > outdated screenshots in any given dist (sid/etch). Also, I think
    > multiple screenshots per package are needed so that the
    > packages.d.o/sid/foo and packages.d.o/etch/foo pages can point to the
    > right screenshots.
    >
    > s.d.n/outdated/sid/a
    > s.d.n/outdated/etch/b
    >
    > Also need lists of packages without screenshots for a given dist:
    >
    > s.d.n/needed/sid/a
    > s.d.n/needed/etch/b

    That would work for Etch - but not for Sid because it's a moving target. So
    far I would just stick to the version number (not yet implemented).

    Christoph

  3. Re: screenshots.debian.net goes beta

    On Dienstag, 11. November 2008, Paul Wise wrote:
    > On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 10:51 AM, Paul Wise wrote:
    > > Also need lists of packages without screenshots for a given dist:
    > >
    > > s.d.n/needed/sid/a
    > > s.d.n/needed/etch/b

    > In a similar vein, it might be a good idea to have per-maintainer
    > lists of packages with outdated screenshots or no screenshots, similar
    > to the debtags todo pages:
    >
    > http://debtags.alioth.debian.org/tod...abs@debian.org

    Good idea. So that maintainers can check whether screenshots of their own
    packages are still up to date or lacking images. Put on the todo list.

    Christoph

  4. Re: screenshots.debian.net goes beta

    On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 03:05:32PM +0100, Christoph Haas wrote:
    > Have fun and let me know what you think.

    Another minor one: when browsing through the result of a package
    search, please repeat somewhere the search string, a-la-google "result
    for search foo bar baz". It just happened to me that I went back to an
    old search result page and it took me a while to understand what I was
    browsing through

    Thanks!
    Cheers.

    --
    Stefano Zacchiroli -*- PhD in Computer Science \ PostDoc @ Univ. Paris 7
    Dietro un grande uomo c' sempre /oo\ All one has to do is hit the right

  5. Re: screenshots.debian.net goes beta

    On Tue Nov 11, 2008 at 01:02:42 +0100, Christoph Haas wrote:

    > > * There are 14 pages and the navigation is truncated to 'Page: 1 2 3 ..
    > > 14 >'. Could you (optionally) display links to all pages? Or alter
    > > the number of results per page (increase, or make user configurable)?

    > I'll change the pager radius to 10. Will be fixed in the next deployment.

    I'd love a "random" link in there somewhere too..

    Steve
    --
    # The Debian Security Audit Project.
    http://www.debian.org/security/audit

  6. Re: screenshots.debian.net goes beta

    On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 10:38:44AM +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
    > I believe the answer is that in the future there will be more
    > screenshot, but what about giving the ability of seeing one (maybe the
    > "most popular") screenshot directly from the result page?

    Good idea. 110x80 would be a nice size for the thumbnails.

  7. Re: screenshots.debian.net goes beta

    2008/11/11 Noah Slater :
    > On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 10:38:44AM +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
    >> I believe the answer is that in the future there will be more
    >> screenshot, but what about giving the ability of seeing one (maybe the
    >> "most popular") screenshot directly from the result page?

    > Good idea. 110x80 would be a nice size for the thumbnails.

    I think it would be better to try to keep a 4:3 ratio.

    Greetings,
    Miry

  8. Re: screenshots.debian.net goes beta

    I demand that Miriam Ruiz may or may not have written...

    > 2008/11/11 Noah Slater :
    >> On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 10:38:44AM +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
    >>> I believe the answer is that in the future there will be more
    >>> screenshot, but what about giving the ability of seeing one (maybe the
    >>> "most popular") screenshot directly from the result page?

    >> Good idea. 110x80 would be a nice size for the thumbnails.

    > I think it would be better to try to keep a 4:3 ratio.

    I disagree; the aspect ratio of the screenshot would be correct.

    | + Buy less and make it last longer. INDUSTRY CAUSES GLOBAL WARMING.

    The only thing funnier than how things don't work out is how they do.

  9. Re: screenshots.debian.net goes beta

    2008/11/11 Darren Salt :
    >>> Good idea. 110x80 would be a nice size for the thumbnails.

    >> I think it would be better to try to keep a 4:3 ratio.

    > I disagree; the aspect ratio of the screenshot would be correct.

    Sorry? In which way is 110X80 a correct ratio?

    Conventional screens are 4:3 or 16:9, and most usual resolutions keep
    4:3 ratio (640x480, 800x600, 1024x768...)

    Greetings,
    Miry

  10. Re: screenshots.debian.net goes beta

    On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 08:54:07PM +0100, Miriam Ruiz wrote:
    > >> I think it would be better to try to keep a 4:3 ratio.

    > > I disagree; the aspect ratio of the screenshot would be correct.

    > Conventional screens are 4:3 or 16:9, and most usual resolutions keep
    > 4:3 ratio (640x480, 800x600, 1024x768...)

    Isn't the two of you assuming that screenshots are always took in
    fullscreen mode? That isn't neither stated in screenshot.d.n
    guidelines, nor reasonable.

    So it can be that your disagreement is not that relevant

    Cheers.

    --
    Stefano Zacchiroli -*- PhD in Computer Science \ PostDoc @ Univ. Paris 7
    Dietro un grande uomo c' sempre /oo\ All one has to do is hit the right
    uno zaino -- A.Bergonzoni \__/ keys at the right time -- J.S.Bach

  11. Re: screenshots.debian.net goes beta

    On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 08:54:07PM +0100, Miriam Ruiz wrote:
    > 2008/11/11 Darren Salt
    > :
    > > I disagree; the aspect ratio of the screenshot would be
    > > correct.

    > Sorry? In which way is 110X80 a correct ratio?
    >
    > Conventional screens are 4:3 or 16:9, and most usual
    > resolutions keep 4:3 ratio (640x480, 800x600, 1024x768...)

    I think Darren meant that the aspect ratio of the
    screenshot should be used for the thumbnails, rather than
    squash/squeeze it into any other fixed ratio.

    --
    Jon Dowland

  12. Re: screenshots.debian.net goes beta

    2008/11/11 Noah Slater :

    >> So it can be that your disagreement is not that relevant

    I won't keep on arguing that, my point was clear enough.

    > Not at all, I was assuming that no matter what size the uploaded image is, it
    > would be scaled down to fit inside a bounding box and placed in the centre of a
    > white canvas. So the question remains, how large to make the canvas.

    If there's some way to get that kind of image in a 320x240 canvas,
    I'll modify goplay to get and use them.

    Greetings,
    Miry

  13. Re: screenshots.debian.net goes beta

    On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 09:24:18PM +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
    > > > I disagree; the aspect ratio of the screenshot would be correct.

    > > Conventional screens are 4:3 or 16:9, and most usual resolutions keep
    > > 4:3 ratio (640x480, 800x600, 1024x768...)

    > Isn't the two of you assuming that screenshots are always took in
    > fullscreen mode? That isn't neither stated in screenshot.d.n
    > guidelines, nor reasonable.
    >
    > So it can be that your disagreement is not that relevant

    Not at all, I was assuming that no matter what size the uploaded image is, it
    would be scaled down to fit inside a bounding box and placed in the centre of a
    white canvas. So the question remains, how large to make the canvas.

  14. Re: screenshots.debian.net goes beta

    Hi, Florian...

    On Dienstag, 11. November 2008, Florian Maier wrote:
    > Christoph Haas wrote:
    > > Fellow developers...
    > >
    > > it took a little longer than I expected but I finally launched
    > >
    > > http://screenshots.debian.net
    > >
    > > after two weeks of programming fun.

    > How can i contribute a german translation? ;-)

    I intend to make the application i18n-savvy. But that's currently not the
    hightest priority on my todo list. As soon as the other issues are sorted
    out I'll happily gettextify the application and send you a file to
    translate. Thanks for the offer.

    Cheers
    Christoph
    --
    A guess is just a guess until you turn it into a pie chart.
    Then it's an analysis. (Scott Adams)

  15. Re: screenshots.debian.net goes beta

  16. Re: screenshots.debian.net goes beta

  17. Re: screenshots.debian.net goes beta

    Christoph Haas wrote:

    > On Dienstag, 11. November 2008, Paul Wise wrote:

    [...]
    >> s.d.n/needed/sid/a
    >> s.d.n/needed/etch/b

    > That would work for Etch - but not for Sid because it's a moving target. So
    > far I would just stick to the version number (not yet implemented).

    Maybe one for testing would be good.

    > Christoph

    Cheers,
    Raphael Geissert

  18. Re: screenshots.debian.net goes beta

    Paul Wise wrote:
    [...]
    > Version info would be useful for providing a list of packages with
    > outdated screenshots in any given dist (sid/etch). Also, I think
    > multiple screenshots per package are needed so that the
    > packages.d.o/sid/foo and packages.d.o/etch/foo pages can point to the
    > right screenshots.

    That's exactly why I suggested that feature, that's for completing my idea

    > s.d.n/outdated/sid/a
    > s.d.n/outdated/etch/b
    >
    > Also need lists of packages without screenshots for a given dist:
    >
    > s.d.n/needed/sid/a
    > s.d.n/needed/etch/b

    Cheers,
    Raphael Geissert