Who owns /etc/default/locale? - Debian

This is a discussion on Who owns /etc/default/locale? - Debian ; I have two systems. Both track unstable, and have package locales at version 2.0.16. On one system, package locales owns /etc/default/locale, on the other, it doesn't. Should the file be owned by locales or not? Could the situation arise by ...

  1. Who owns /etc/default/locale?

    I have two systems. Both track unstable, and have package
    locales at version 2.0.16.

    On one system, package locales owns /etc/default/locale, on the other,
    it doesn't. Should the file be owned by locales or not?

    Could the situation arise by upgrades? One system is 4 years old
    (upgraded weekly or better), the other just two months old. Surely it
    isn't architecture dependent (one is x86, the second is amd64)?

    SYSTEM 1

    root@lilavati{~}dpkg --list locales
    | Status=Not/Inst/Cfg-files/Unpacked/Failed-cfg/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
    ||/ Name Version Description
    +++-=============================-=============================-================================================== ========================
    ii locales 2.7-16 GNU C Library: National Language (locale) data [support]
    root@lilavati{~}dpkg --search /etc/default/locale
    locales: /etc/default/locale

    SYSTEM 2

    steve@riemann{tools}dpkg --list locales
    | Status=Not/Inst/Cfg-files/Unpacked/Failed-cfg/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
    ||/ Name Version Description
    +++-=============================-=============================-================================================== ========================
    ii locales 2.7-16 GNU C Library: National Language (locale) data [support]

    steve@riemann{tools}dpkg --search /etc/default/locale
    dpkg: /etc/default/locale not found.

    -Steve

  2. Re: Who owns /etc/default/locale?

    On Sun, 2008-11-09 at 09:43 -0600, Steve M. Robbins wrote:
    > I have two systems. Both track unstable, and have package
    > locales at version 2.0.16.
    >
    > On one system, package locales owns /etc/default/locale, on the other,
    > it doesn't. Should the file be owned by locales or not?

    I have question which is directly related: shouldn't a package own and
    declare all the configuration files that it uses, even if it doesn't
    install or modify it?

    * If one purges a package, then reinstall it, then he/she wants to have
    a maintainer's behavior.
    * Two packages that uses the same configuration files should either :
    - agree on the file's format, and know who manage the file (so the
    second program [Depends|Recommend|Suggest] on the first package,
    that own the file),
    - or "Conflict" with each other.

    /me put on my post-lenny TODO list to send a patch for the policy, and
    submit a patch for lintian.

    Franklin

  3. Re: Who owns /etc/default/locale?

    On 2008-11-09 16:43 +0100, Steve M. Robbins wrote:

    > I have two systems. Both track unstable, and have package
    > locales at version 2.0.16.
    >
    > On one system, package locales owns /etc/default/locale, on the other,
    > it doesn't. Should the file be owned by locales or not?

    It shouldn't, but on my system it is as well.

    > Could the situation arise by upgrades? One system is 4 years old
    > (upgraded weekly or better), the other just two months old. Surely it
    > isn't architecture dependent (one is x86, the second is amd64)?

    It depends on if you ever had locales 2.6.1-2 installed. That version
    mistakenly shipped /etc/default/locale as a conffile, which was reverted
    in the next upload. See #437404 and #441360.

    Sven

  4. Re: Who owns /etc/default/locale?

    Frank Lin PIAT wrote:
    [....]
    > I have question which is directly related: shouldn't a package own and
    > declare all the configuration files that it uses, even if it doesn't
    > install or modify it?

    [...]

    No. Not all configuration files can be managed as dpkg conffiles.

    cu andreas

  5. Re: Who owns /etc/default/locale?

    Steve M. Robbins wrote:
    > I have two systems. Both track unstable, and have package
    > locales at version 2.0.16.

    > On one system, package locales owns /etc/default/locale, on the other,
    > it doesn't. Should the file be owned by locales or not?

    > Could the situation arise by upgrades?

    Yes.

    > SYSTEM 1

    [...]
    > root@lilavati{~}dpkg --search /etc/default/locale
    > locales: /etc/default/locale

    [...]

    Some versions of the locales package contained the file, but it
    stopped being shipped in 2.6.1-3 (see bug #441360). dpkg nowadays
    tracks orphaned conffiles, i.e. conffiles that previously were owned by
    a package and have not been removed. It will still find them with dpkg
    -S, and list them in dpkg -s.

    System one probably once had a locale package that shipped the file
    installed.
    cu andreas
    so grateful to you.'

  6. Re: Who owns /etc/default/locale?

    On Sun, 2008-11-09 at 18:43 +0100, Andreas Metzler wrote:
    > Frank Lin PIAT wrote:
    > [....]
    > > I have question which is directly related: shouldn't a package own and
    > > declare all the configuration files that it uses, even if it doesn't
    > > install or modify it?

    > [...]
    >
    > No. Not all configuration files can be managed as dpkg conffiles.

    I did not wrote that all configuration file should be conffiles : I
    wrote that all (well known) configuration files should be tracked.
    Some configuration files are used by packages but they aren't declared
    anywhere. Also, as I mentioned, those file aren't necessarily removed by
    the package when it is purged.

    For example, on my laptop I've used a quick script to check
    if /etc/default/* files are declared by the scripts located
    in /etc/{init.d,cron.*}... as you can see, almost half of them don't
    belong to any package.

    apache2.2-common uses /etc/default/apache2 owned by apache2.2-common
    exim4-base uses /etc/default/exim4 NOT OWNED
    live-helper uses /etc/default/live-helper_autobuild owned by
    live-helper
    acpid uses /etc/default/acpid owned by acpid
    apache2.2-common uses /etc/default/apache2 owned by apache2.2-common
    apt-proxy uses /etc/default/apt-proxy owned by apt-proxy
    atftpd uses /etc/default/atftpd NOT OWNED
    avahi-daemon uses /etc/default/avahi-daemon owned by avahi-daemon
    bluez-utils uses /etc/default/bluetooth owned by bluez-utils
    initscripts uses /etc/default/bootlogd owned by initscripts
    clamav-daemon uses /etc/default/clamav-daemon owned by clamav-daemon
    console-tools uses /etc/default/locale NOT OWNED
    cpufrequtils uses /etc/default/cpufrequtils owned by cpufrequtils
    cron uses /etc/default/cron owned by cron
    cron uses /etc/default/locale NOT OWNED
    cups uses /etc/default/cups owned by cups
    dbus uses /etc/default/dbus owned by dbus
    dhcp3-server uses /etc/default/dhcp3-server NOT OWNED
    dnsmasq uses /etc/default/dnsmasq owned by dnsmasq
    exim4-base uses /etc/default/exim4 NOT OWNED
    gdm uses /etc/default/locale NOT OWNED
    hal uses /etc/default/hal owned by hal
    initscripts uses /etc/default/halt owned by initscripts
    hdparm uses /etc/default/hdparm owned by hdparm
    ifupdown uses /etc/default/ifupdown owned by ifupdown
    ifupdown uses /etc/default/ifupdown owned by ifupdown
    irda-utils uses /etc/default/irda-utils NOT OWNED
    console-common uses /etc/default/locale NOT OWNED
    klogd uses /etc/default/klogd owned by klogd
    cpufrequtils uses /etc/default/loadcpufreq NOT OWNED
    cpufrequtils uses /etc/default/powernowd NOT OWNED
    initscripts uses /etc/default/locale NOT OWNED
    initscripts uses /etc/default/devpts owned by initscripts
    initscripts uses /etc/default/tmpfs owned by initscripts
    initscripts uses /etc/default/tmpfs owned by initscripts
    initscripts uses /etc/default/mountoverflowtmp NOT OWNED
    initscripts uses /etc/default/devpts owned by initscripts
    initscripts uses /etc/default/tmpfs owned by initscripts
    network-manager uses /etc/default/NetworkManagerDispatcher NOT OWNED
    network-manager uses /etc/default/NetworkManager NOT OWNED
    nfs-common uses /etc/default/nfs-common NOT OWNED
    nfs-kernel-server uses /etc/default/nfs-kernel-server NOT OWNED
    openbsd-inetd uses /etc/default/openbsd-inetd NOT OWNED
    partimage-server uses /etc/default/partimaged owned by partimage-server
    pcmciautils uses /etc/default/pcmciautils NOT OWNED
    portmap uses /etc/default/portmap NOT OWNED
    rsync uses /etc/default/rsync owned by rsync
    sane-utils uses /etc/default/saned owned by sane-utils
    sl-modem-daemon uses /etc/default/slmodemd NOT OWNED
    sl-modem-daemon uses /etc/default/sl-modem-daemon owned by
    sl-modem-daemon
    openssh-server uses /etc/default/ssh owned by openssh-server
    sysklogd uses /etc/default/syslogd owned by sysklogd
    udftools uses /etc/default/udftools owned by udftools
    acpi-support uses /etc/default/acpi-support owned by acpi-support

    ----
    The scriptlet I used:

    for x in $(grep --binary-files=without-match -R -E "/etc/default/[^
    \(/etc/default/[[:alnum:]_-]*\).*#\1:\2#' | sort -u | grep -v
    ':/etc/default/rcS' ) ; do script="${x##*:}"; cfg="${x%%:*}" ; pkg=
    $(dpkg -S "$cfg" | sed -e 's/:.*//') ; owner=$(dpkg -S $script
    2>/dev/null | sed -e 's/:.*//' ) ; echo -n "$pkg uses ${x##*:} " ; if
    [ "$owner" ] ; then echo "owned by $owner" ; else echo "NOT OWNED" ;
    fi ; done