Re: mutt and ~/Mail - Debian

This is a discussion on Re: mutt and ~/Mail - Debian ; On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 13:13:13 -0600, sk8r-365 wrote: > mutt asks every time it starts to create a directory "Mail", which is > pretty useless for all mail ends up in ~/mbox by default. Plus, > generally I don't ...

  1. Re: mutt and ~/Mail

    On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 13:13:13 -0600, sk8r-365 wrote:

    > mutt asks every time it starts to create a directory "Mail", which is
    > pretty useless for all mail ends up in ~/mbox by default. Plus,
    > generally I don't keep mail - it's system mail only. Also, I like things
    > tidy. Allowing an used directory to be created is wasteful. Yes, I know,
    > it's not much but I don't care for it. Having read the man page and
    > unsuccessfully searching for a solution to stop mutt from trying to
    > create ~/Mail on the Web, I thought maybe someone in the news groups had
    > found a suitable answer. Please advise.

    I just hide mine. From Muttrc

    set folder="~/.Mail"

    Similarly,

    # Location of read & saved mail
    set mbox="~/.mbox"

    # Location of copies of sent mail (Bcc
    set record="~/.sent"

  2. Re: mutt and ~/Mail

    On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 17:40:58 -0600, sk8r-365 wrote:

    > Is "set folder="~/.Mail"" in your /etc/Muttrc?

    Perhaps I should have clarified that but the capital "M" should have
    sufficed. Yes, /etc/Muttrc.

    > Not mine. In fact, none
    > of the above are. Read all of /etc/Muttrc.d/* and going over the 4382
    > lines of 'man muttrc' I didn't see an option. Or, are you referring to
    > ~/.muttrc?

    You will not find those in Debian's abbreviated version of /etc/Muttrc.
    You will, however, find the information in the mutt documentation. See
    /usr/share/doc/mutt/html

  3. Re: mutt and ~/Mail

    sk8r-365 writes:

    > Thanks for writing, Dave.
    >
    > Is "set folder="~/.Mail"" in your /etc/Muttrc? Not mine. In fact, none
    > of the above are. Read all of /etc/Muttrc.d/* and going over the 4382
    > lines of 'man muttrc' I didn't see an option. Or, are you referring to
    > ~/.muttrc?
    >
    > --
    > sk8r-365
    > "Walking is the best possible exercise. Habituate yourself to walk very
    > fast." - Thomas Jefferson

    You could really put it anywhere you want; usually, the only difference is that
    the config files in /etc/ are global and the ones in your home directory
    with a preceding . are for that user only. Additionally, the ones in
    /etc/ usually overrule the ones in ~.

+ Reply to Thread