Display problems in D-I in Dzongkha - Debian

This is a discussion on Display problems in D-I in Dzongkha - Debian ; While testing an installation in Dzongkha with the netinst CD, I experienced corrupted display problems in the root password screen, then later in all subsequent screens. Apparently, some strings are replaced by squares, just as if some glyphs were missing. ...

  1. Display problems in D-I in Dzongkha

    While testing an installation in Dzongkha with the netinst CD, I
    experienced corrupted display problems in the root password screen,
    then later in all subsequent screens.

    Apparently, some strings are replaced by squares, just as if some
    glyphs were missing. However, this happens on *entire* screens, not
    just with "random" glyphs being replaced by squares.

    See screenshots listed at the end of this mail...

    Also, one should note that the root passord selection screen is
    slightly too long and one can easily miss the fact that there are two
    input fields, one for the password and one for its confirmation....as
    the confirmation input dialog is "hidden" as the bottom (and users
    might miss it).

    Screenshots:
    http://people.debian.org/~bubulle/di-dzongkha-root.png
    http://people.debian.org/~bubulle/di-dzongkha-root2.png

    --

  2. Re: Display problems in D-I in Dzongkha

    Quoting Christian Perrier (bubulle@debian.org):
    > While testing an installation in Dzongkha with the netinst CD, I
    > experienced corrupted display problems in the root password screen,
    > then later in all subsequent screens.
    >
    > Apparently, some strings are replaced by squares, just as if some
    > glyphs were missing. However, this happens on *entire* screens, not

    s/screens/strings

    > just with "random" glyphs being replaced by squares.

    Actually, that seems to be a missing italic font.

  3. Re: Display problems in D-I in Dzongkha

    Quoting Christian Perrier (bubulle@debian.org):

    > > Apparently, some strings are replaced by squares, just as if some
    > > glyphs were missing. However, this happens on *entire* screens, not

    > s/screens/strings
    >
    > > just with "random" glyphs being replaced by squares.

    > Actually, that seems to be a missing italic font.

    More details...

    Before the base system install step, everything is fine. The italic
    font (which is used for messages that appear "under" progress bars and
    the short description of select/multiselect/string debconf templates)
    is properly displayed.

    However, after the base system install, the first screen that comes
    (the root password screen) and all screens that follow do not longer
    have italics glyphs displayed. They're replaced by squares.

    This is only happens, as of now, in Dzongkha installs. It does not
    happen in other complex languages installs (an Hindi install is fine).

    --

  4. Re: Display problems in D-I in Dzongkha

    > While testing an installation in Dzongkha with the netinst CD, I
    > experienced corrupted display problems in the root password screen,
    > then later in all subsequent screens.
    >
    > Apparently, some strings are replaced by squares, just as if some
    > glyphs were missing. However, this happens on *entire* screens, not
    > just with "random" glyphs being replaced by squares.

    Strangely, while trying to track this down further, I couldn't
    reproduce it. Tried with the businesscard, netinst and full CD but no
    luck.

    The display was correct. Still, I know I had the problem which appread
    on the root password selection screen. I'll try to do more
    investigation reproducing this.

  5. Display problems in D-I in Dzongkha: how to reproduce the problem

    Quoting Christian Perrier (bubulle@debian.org):
    > While testing an installation in Dzongkha with the netinst CD, I
    > experienced corrupted display problems in the root password screen,
    > then later in all subsequent screens.
    >
    > Apparently, some strings are replaced by squares, just as if some
    > glyphs were missing. However, this happens on *entire* screens, not
    > just with "random" glyphs being replaced by squares.
    >
    > See screenshots listed at the end of this mail...
    >
    > Also, one should note that the root passord selection screen is
    > slightly too long and one can easily miss the fact that there are two
    > input fields, one for the password and one for its confirmation....as
    > the confirmation input dialog is "hidden" as the bottom (and users
    > might miss it).
    >
    > Screenshots:
    > http://people.debian.org/~bubulle/di-dzongkha-root.png
    > http://people.debian.org/~bubulle/di-dzongkha-root2.png

    OK, it took me a while before I could isolate a test case. That's a
    very *weird* issue.

    So, to reproduce that problem, you must do the following:

    - boot the graphical installer
    - choose Dzongkha as installation language. Than you'll get hard times
    unless you were raised in Bhutan and can read it, but you can do
    it..:-)
    - always pick up default options until you reach the root password
    setting screen. Please note that the last screen for partitioning
    requires changing the "No" option to "Yes" (confirming that you
    overwrite the disk). You can do this by just hitting the Down arrow
    and then Enter
    -When you reach the root password screen (which has a slider on the
    right because the text is too long), deliberately enter two different
    passwords so that D-I complains. Typing "Root" (first pwd), then Tab
    twice (so that the password confirmation is empty), then Enter, is the
    way to do it

    - You then get the "password mismatch" screen...which seems correct,
    but again has a slider on the right. Click on the slider and scroll
    down. BLAM.....the italic glyphs are replaced by squares and all
    subsequent screens are also replaced by squares.

    If you don't slide down in the password mismatch screen, then the
    italic font will be garbled anyway on later screens.

    This root password screen is the only place where I could reproduce
    the problem. And for it to happen, you *must* deliberately provoke the
    password mismatch dialog to appear.

    My problem is that I currently test in VirtualBox and can't find a
    bloody way to switch to another console and catch some debug output
    there (Ctrl-Alt+F2 switches to the console on my *host* not in the
    virtual machine). I have no idea how to enter Ctrl-Alt-F2 in a virtual
    machine on VB. I should then use qemu or VmWare....but need to
    reinstall them properly...

    This was tested with the netinst CD but I suspect this also happens
    with other installation media. What made me miss the issue in earlier
    tests is the fact that you *must* hit the password mismatch, otherwise
    no breakage happens.

  6. Re: Display problems in D-I in Dzongkha: how to reproduce the problem

    On Tuesday 11 November 2008, Christian Perrier wrote:
    > My problem is that I currently test in VirtualBox and can't find a
    > bloody way to switch to another console and catch some debug output
    > there (Ctrl-Alt+F2 switches to the console on my *host* not in the
    > virtual machine). I have no idea how to enter Ctrl-Alt-F2 in a virtual
    > machine on VB.

    http://wiki.debian.org/VirtualBox#he...11d2a8cc4532f3

  7. Re: Display problems in D-I in Dzongkha: how to reproduce the problem

    Hi Christian,
    I would like to thank you for looking into this issue. I ll ask Tenzin to
    look into it in detail.

    However, you may not hear from him till the end of this months as coronation
    ceremony for the 5th king is taking place at the moment and its holiday for
    every one till 12th of this month and after that there is a week long ICT
    fair being organized by DIT in Thimphu which will definitely keep Tenzin
    occupied for the whole month. Nevertheless, he should be able to look at it
    by the last week of this month.

    Many Thanks
    Pema Geyleg

    --
    Pema Geyleg
    108 7 ST NW,

  8. Re: Display problems in D-I in Dzongkha: how to reproduce the problem

    Quoting Pema Geyleg (pema.geyleg@gmail.com):
    > Hi Christian,
    > I would like to thank you for looking into this issue. I ll ask Tenzin to
    > look into it in detail.
    >
    > However, you may not hear from him till the end of this months as coronation
    > ceremony for the 5th king is taking place at the moment and its holiday for
    > every one till 12th of this month and after that there is a week long ICT
    > fair being organized by DIT in Thimphu which will definitely keep Tenzin
    > occupied for the whole month. Nevertheless, he should be able to look at it
    > by the last week of this month.

    As of now, indeed, this is *very* weird and probably some corner case
    in the graphical installer that happens to be 'revealed' by the
    display problem in Dzongkha, but I can' say whether the problem is
    really specific to Dzongkha as I haven't tested with all other
    languages (though Hindi does no show the problem).

+ Reply to Thread