Re: Debian Installer Meeting on Friday 7 November 2008 at 21:00 UTC - Debian

This is a discussion on Re: Debian Installer Meeting on Friday 7 November 2008 at 21:00 UTC - Debian ; On Thu, Nov 06, 2008 at 09:28:51PM +1100, Anibal Monsalve Salazar wrote: >There will be a Debian Installer Meeting on Friday 7 November 2008 at >21:00 UTC. > >More information is available at the wiki page below. > > http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstall...s/Coordination ...

  1. Re: Debian Installer Meeting on Friday 7 November 2008 at 21:00 UTC

    On Thu, Nov 06, 2008 at 09:28:51PM +1100, Anibal Monsalve Salazar wrote:
    >There will be a Debian Installer Meeting on Friday 7 November 2008 at
    >21:00 UTC.
    >
    >More information is available at the wiki page below.
    >
    >http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstall...s/Coordination

    Log file: http://people.debian.org/~anibal/d-i...t-20081107.log

    Minutes
    -------

    People who participated in the meeting:

    otavio : Otavio Salvador
    bubulle : Christian Perrier
    anibal : Anibal Monsalve Salazar
    tbm : Martin Michlmayr
    mace : Miah Gregory
    franklin : Franklin Piat
    faw : Felipe Augusto van de Wiel
    cjwatson : Colin Watson
    Ryan52 : Ryan Niebur

    Apologies received from:

    fjp : Frans pop

    RC1
    ---

    For RC1, we have done most things. Help is needed for more people to
    re-read the announcement [1] and the errata [2].

    Christian will ask debian-l10n-english to review the announcement.

    Martin reports that mips and arm are complete and he will contact other
    porters about the other architectures and subarchitectures. He'll check
    the announcement for any missing thing, as well.

    The errata is outdated. Otavio will post an errata with a few updates to
    the mailing list so others could test the current issues in the errata.
    Colin may check the errata WRT PowerMac issues.

    Frans probably has some hints for the errata.

    Currently, some versions of binary packages used by the D-I are not in
    testing yet. This will be taken care of during RC2.

    Otavio will go through the mail messages about packages that need an ACK
    from D-I before they are unbloked by the release team.

    Frans followed the string freeze and translation status so he can
    probably deal with that. The deadline is on Monday 10 November.

    The announcement has to wait for the final CD build which takes 2 days.
    So, the release announcement, errata and website should be ready by
    Friday 14 November.

    Christian will commit aupdates for the release announcement, errata and
    website.

    RC2
    ---

    Otavio raised the following RC2 issues:

    - win32-loader needs to go to lenny
    - kernel needs updating
    - l-m-e-2.6 needs fixing due virtualbox version missmatch (did not check
    if it has been fixed or not)
    - fix any discovered critical bug in rc1
    - check source packages that need to go to lenny due GPL

    Post-lenny
    ----------

    Otavio will open svn for post-lenny changes after RC1. Colin will keep
    an eye on possible changes and push them.

    Release Announcement
    --------------------

    Otavio proposed to form a team for the release management after RC1.

    Christian said the team will have some identified tasks, such as
    "release announcement is kept up-to-date by $person1", "errata is
    managed by $person2" and so on.

    Next Meeting
    ------------

    Anibal will announce a small meeting for Tuesday 11 November at 21:00
    UTC.

    [1] http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/ReleaseAnnounce
    [2] http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/errata

  2. Re: Debian Installer Meeting on Friday 7 November 2008 at 21:00 UTC

    On Saturday 08 November 2008, AnĂ*bal Monsalve Salazar wrote:
    > On Thu, Nov 06, 2008 at 09:28:51PM +1100, Anibal Monsalve Salazar wrote:
    > >There will be a Debian Installer Meeting on Friday 7 November 2008 at
    > >21:00 UTC.

    Sorry folks,

    I've seen the log of the meeting, I've seen the proposed changes for
    errata and announcement. I've seen the total confusion about when RC1
    should happen (why the hell another week of pointless delays?).

    I give up in total despair and frustration. I've no doubt you (plural!)
    will manage to publish something, but I already know that I'll be
    hopelessly disappointed.

    It really appears that nobody has any clue what current issues are, what
    needs to be done or how to do it. Everything is done on a "minimal
    effort" basis (apparently hoping that someone else will do the real work)
    with a total lack of control over quality or process.

    I've been trying to set myself today to give some more constructive
    response, but I just don't have the energy anymore. It means I won't
    bitch anymore when I see things going wrong, you'll just be on your own.

    I will complete the current release process for the manual and possibly
    even do a second release later if that would mean we can add extra
    translations. Please do _not_ interfere in that process and respect my
    announcements regarding the freeze state of D-I SVN for the manual.
    My announcements and updates are clear enough when it comes to timing. You
    should be able to draw your own conclusions from that, but feel free to
    ask specific questions if needed.

    On Wednesday 05 November 2008, Otavio Salvador wrote:
    > No, this is a person who has a fullday work plus University trying to
    > do his best to make the release happen.
    >
    > You might just help on that instead of blame me.

    You may not like my bitching, but despite everything I think I've still
    done a hell of a lot more that anybody else in the team (not including
    yourself) for this release:
    - fixing the recent tzsetup and preseed issues
    - major work on debian-cd to get it ready for lenny
    - I'm still the only person who's made any real effort to reply to
    installation reports and follow up on issues
    - I've been the only person to do any structured testing (except for tbm
    on arm(el), who really does keep those arches in excellent shape)
    - I have up to now followed the release process, which effectively meant
    duplicating all your work because of your failure to communicate
    anything about what you were planning or doing

    A few semi-constructive comments then.
    The most serious issues ATM are related to reopen-console/steal-ctty in
    rootskel. That has had way to little testing; we really only knows it
    works for the most common installs on x86/arm. See the BTS and I fear
    there's more still waiting to be discovered.

    I also hope that someone will at least have the courtesy to reply to Osamu
    Aoki, even if the issue he raised is not handled (which is an RM
    decision!).

    I also hope someone will look into Neale Pickett's mail as there is a
    strong indication that encrypted LVM may be broken.

+ Reply to Thread