simple webcam question---urgent!! - Debian

This is a discussion on simple webcam question---urgent!! - Debian ; is there a usb webcam that will work with debian with the default install, simple yes or no. I am in danger ( I should actually say "facing certainty of") of being fired from my job is this is not ...

  1. simple webcam question---urgent!!

    is there a usb webcam that will work with debian with the default install,
    simple yes or no. I am in danger ( I should actually say "facing certainty of")
    of being fired from my job is this is not up and running and serving video by
    this evening (saturday). I've had good experiences with linux as a web server,
    file server, etc... so this took me off guard. I'm using the most recent stable
    release of debian (typing this on my mac, so don't ask the exact kernel version.
    I ran the update ran hour ago, so it IS up to date.) with a brand spanking new
    quickcam messenger. I have tried a dozen different tutorials, most recently this
    one: http://www.aboutdebian.com/webcam.htm , and have reinstalled from disk
    again and again. I have followed the above tutorial to the letter. xawtv does
    NOT see the camera, this is what it reports:

    This is xawtv-3.95.dfsg.1, running on Linux/i686 (2.6.18-6-686)
    looking for available devices
    port 65-65
    type : Xvideo, image scaler
    name : NV Video Overlay

    port 66-97
    type : Xvideo, image scaler
    name : NV Video Blitter

    /dev/video0: OK [ -device /dev/video0 ]
    type : v4l2
    name : BT878 video ( *** UNKNOWN/GENER
    flags: overlay capture tuner

    /dev/video1: OK [ -device /dev/video1 ]
    type : v4l2
    name : BT878 video ( *** UNKNOWN/GENER
    flags: overlay capture tuner

    /dev/video2: OK [ -device /dev/video2 ]
    type : v4l2
    name : BT878 video ( *** UNKNOWN/GENER
    flags: overlay capture tuner

    /dev/video3: OK [ -device /dev/video3 ]
    type : v4l2
    name : BT878 video ( *** UNKNOWN/GENER
    flags: overlay capture tuner

    This is lsmod, a hideous mess after hair pulling for 72 hours at this point:

    Module Size Used by
    nls_iso8859_1 4256 1
    isofs 32540 1
    udf 73156 0
    nfs 202860 0
    nfsd 197936 17
    exportfs 5600 1 nfsd
    lockd 54344 3 nfs,nfsd
    nfs_acl 3584 2 nfs,nfsd
    sunrpc 138812 13 nfs,nfsd,lockd,nfs_acl
    appletalk 33228 0
    ppdev 8676 0
    lp 11012 0
    button 6672 0
    ac 5188 0
    battery 9636 0
    ipv6 226272 29
    dm_snapshot 15552 0
    dm_mirror 19152 0
    dm_mod 50200 2 dm_snapshot,dm_mirror
    cx2341x 10308 0
    parport_pc 32132 0
    c_qcam 11512 0
    parport 33256 4 ppdev,lp,parport_pc,c_qcam
    ultracam 11084 0
    ibmcam 43980 0
    vgastate 7776 0
    uvcvideo 31016 0
    quickcam_messenger 12324 0
    usbvideo 24388 3 ultracam,ibmcam,quickcam_messenger
    sisusbvga 47612 0
    sbp2 20840 0
    scsi_mod 124168 1 sbp2
    loop 15048 0
    bt878 10392 0
    bttv 159732 1 bt878
    video_buf 23012 1 bttv
    firmware_class 9600 1 bttv
    ir_common 27780 1 bttv
    compat_ioctl32 1472 3 c_qcam,usbvideo,bttv
    i2c_algo_bit 8424 1 bttv
    btcx_risc 4776 1 bttv
    tveeprom 13840 1 bttv
    videodev 21120 4 c_qcam,uvcvideo,usbvideo,bttv
    v4l1_compat 12036 2 uvcvideo,videodev
    v4l2_common 20448 4 cx2341x,uvcvideo,bttv,videodev
    snd_usb_audio 69024 0
    snd_usb_lib 14976 1 snd_usb_audio
    snd_seq_dummy 3844 0
    snd_seq_oss 28768 0
    snd_seq_midi 8192 0
    snd_seq_midi_event 7008 2 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi
    snd_intel8x0 30332 1
    snd_ac97_codec 83104 1 snd_intel8x0
    snd_ac97_bus 2400 1 snd_ac97_codec
    snd_seq 45680 6
    snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_mid i_event
    snd_pcm_oss 38368 0
    snd_mixer_oss 15200 1 snd_pcm_oss
    serio_raw 6660 0
    snd_rawmidi 22560 2 snd_usb_lib,snd_seq_midi
    snd_seq_device 7820 5
    snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq,snd _rawmidi
    rtc 12372 0
    i2c_sis96x 5380 0
    snd_hwdep 8836 1 snd_usb_audio
    psmouse 35016 0
    pcspkr 3072 0
    tsdev 7520 0
    sis_agp 8420 1
    i2c_core 19680 4 bttv,i2c_algo_bit,tveeprom,i2c_sis96x
    snd_pcm 68676 4
    snd_usb_audio,snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_ oss
    snd_timer 20996 2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
    snd 47012 14
    snd_usb_audio,snd_seq_oss,snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_co dec,snd_seq,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mix
    er_oss,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_device,snd_hwdep,snd_pc m,snd_timer
    snd_page_alloc 10184 2 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm
    soundcore 9248 1 snd
    shpchp 33024 0
    pci_hotplug 28704 1 shpchp
    agpgart 29896 1 sis_agp
    evdev 9088 2
    eth1394 18212 0
    ext3 119240 1
    jbd 52456 1 ext3
    mbcache 8356 1 ext3
    ide_disk 14848 3
    ide_cd 36064 1
    cdrom 32544 1 ide_cd
    generic 4868 0 [permanent]
    usbhid 37248 0
    8139cp 21920 0
    via_rhine 22664 0
    sis5513 12360 0 [permanent]
    ide_core 110504 4 ide_disk,ide_cd,generic,sis5513
    ohci1394 30800 0
    8139too 25120 0
    mii 5344 3 8139cp,via_rhine,8139too
    ieee1394 86904 3 sbp2,eth1394,ohci1394
    ehci_hcd 28136 0
    ohci_hcd 18276 0
    usbcore 112644 12
    ultracam,ibmcam,uvcvideo,quickcam_messenger,usbvid eo,sisusbvga,snd_usb_audio,snd_
    usb_lib,usbhid,ehci_hcd,ohci_hcd
    thermal 13608 0
    processor 28840 1 thermal
    fan 4804 0

    I'm perfectly willing to start over from scratch with a fresh install (probably
    best, at this point) but it must work the first time. PLEASE.

    TIA!

    Joshua

  2. Re: simple webcam question---urgent!!

    Joshua Whalen wrote:
    > is there a usb webcam that will work with debian with the default install,
    > simple yes or no. I am in danger ( I should actually say "facing certainty of")
    > of being fired from my job is this is not up and running and serving video by
    > this evening (saturday). I've had good experiences with linux as a web server,
    > file server, etc... so this took me off guard. I'm using the most recent stable
    > release of debian (typing this on my mac, so don't ask the exact kernel version.
    > I ran the update ran hour ago, so it IS up to date.) with a brand spanking new
    > quickcam messenger. I have tried a dozen different tutorials, most recently this
    > one: http://www.aboutdebian.com/webcam.htm , and have reinstalled from disk
    > again and again. I have followed the above tutorial to the letter. xawtv does
    > NOT see the camera, this is what it reports:
    >
    > This is xawtv-3.95.dfsg.1, running on Linux/i686 (2.6.18-6-686)
    > looking for available devices
    > port 65-65
    > type : Xvideo, image scaler
    > name : NV Video Overlay
    >
    > port 66-97
    > type : Xvideo, image scaler
    > name : NV Video Blitter
    >
    > /dev/video0: OK [ -device /dev/video0 ]
    > type : v4l2
    > name : BT878 video ( *** UNKNOWN/GENER
    > flags: overlay capture tuner
    >
    > /dev/video1: OK [ -device /dev/video1 ]
    > type : v4l2
    > name : BT878 video ( *** UNKNOWN/GENER
    > flags: overlay capture tuner
    >
    > /dev/video2: OK [ -device /dev/video2 ]
    > type : v4l2
    > name : BT878 video ( *** UNKNOWN/GENER
    > flags: overlay capture tuner
    >
    > /dev/video3: OK [ -device /dev/video3 ]
    > type : v4l2
    > name : BT878 video ( *** UNKNOWN/GENER
    > flags: overlay capture tuner

    The xawtv sees the 4-port capture card. Did you provide xawtv with the
    -hwscan option (it was not provided above, but it appears you did).

    I have a default install of Ubuntu 8.04, which is essentially Debian
    Lenny, on two boxes. They both see the USB camera, which is a cheap
    Intel CS630 Pocket PC Camera.

    It is monitoring the laundry in my basement, using ZoneMinder, so my
    wife can tell when the washer or dryer has finished a cycle.

    You might try lsusb to see if your camera is listed.

    Also, I have found that my camera sometimes does not start up. I have to
    be running ZoneMinder (or xawtv) then plug the USB cable into the
    camera. You might try that, since it is easy to do.

    I've also used a Nikon Coolpix L6 to feed ZoneMinder while testing. The
    USB "just works."

    Please let us know what you do find.

    --
    John

  3. Re: simple webcam question---urgent!!

    sk8r-365 wrote:
    > John F. Morse made a definite or systematic statement of:
    >

    >> It is monitoring the laundry in my basement, using ZoneMinder, so my
    >> wife can tell when the washer or dryer has finished a cycle.
    >>

    > LOL - really, that's a cool way to employ technology. Excellent idea.

    Raymond "Rainman" Babbit would certainly like this technology.

    He could sit up here in the comfy computer room, and watch the red one
    always falling the same. ;-)

    --
    John

  4. Re: simple webcam question---urgent!!

    sk8r-365 wrote:
    > John F. Morse made a definite or systematic statement of:
    >> Raymond "Rainman" Babbit would certainly like this technology.
    >>

    > Met Kim Peek and his father, the real man for who the character was
    > modeled, at a dinner for people living with disablilties and those
    > assisting them. Learned quite a bit that evening.

    That is one of my very favorite movies, and it isn't because of Tom
    Cruise either.

    I heard Dustin Hoffman studied the role for over a year, and did an
    excellent job.

    There was something on this past week where the actor was doing a good
    job of mimicking (ripping off?) Hoffman's acting.

    >> He could sit up here in the comfy computer room, and watch the red one
    >> always falling the same. ;-)
    >>

    > Oh, oh. I used to sit and watch 'scandisk' perform

    You're kidding?!

    I thought my mother was bad, watching her Macintosh's "fishbowl" all day.

    But then she discovered how to change it to flying toasters!

    --
    John