Re: Package plugins packaging - Debian

This is a discussion on Re: Package plugins packaging - Debian ; Le vendredi 07 novembre 2008 * 19:37 +0300, Всеволод Величко a écrit : > I need help from expereinced maintainers, because I don't know, how to > do it right. > I have some QT program, qutIM, which should be ...

  1. Re: Package plugins packaging

    Le vendredi 07 novembre 2008 * 19:37 +0300, Всеволод Величко a écrit :
    > I need help from expereinced maintainers, because I don't know, how to
    > do it right.
    > I have some QT program, qutIM, which should be builded by cmake. Also,
    > there is a number of plugins, who use qmake for building and are
    > developed as separate branches. For plugin compilation its source must
    > be placed to the qutim source /plugins/ directory, i.e. I must have
    > source of qutim to compile qutim plugin. So I have a problem, how must
    > I organize their packaging?

    You can ship the sources in a qutim-source package and use it to build
    the plugins, but that’s really fugly.

    Another approach is to find out what files are necessary for compiling
    plugins. Theoretically, you don’t need the C++ sources, only the headers
    and maybe some static libraries. Then, you can ship all of this in a
    qutim-devel package, and modify the build system of the plugins so that
    it uses them.

    You can also look for another IM software without such a clueless
    upstream.

    --
    .''`.
    `- our own. Resistance is futile.

  2. Re: Package plugins packaging

    2008/11/7 Josselin Mouette
    > Another approach is to find out what files are necessary for compiling
    > plugins. Theoretically, you don't need the C++ sources, only the headers
    > and maybe some static libraries. Then, you can ship all of this in a
    > qutim-devel package, and modify the build system of the plugins so that
    > it uses them.

    Yeah, that's exactly what I need, thank's a lot

    May be, you can help me with the following?

    --
    Best wishes,
    Velichko Vsevolod

  3. Re: Package plugins packaging

    2008/11/9 Vincent Fourmond :
    > This makes it look like it is not possible to switch from the original
    > archive to any other kind of archive. So you cannot distribute it as a
    > Debian package. Drop it ;-)...

    Thank you. That's a pity, but I have to deal with it.

    --
    Best wishes,
    Velichko Vsevolod

  4. Re: Package plugins packaging

    Hello,

    Всеволод Величко wrote:
    > May be, you can help me with the following?
    >> which CC licenses are treated as DFSG compatible now? Could someone read this license:
    >> http://pastebin.com/m4ba1c5ed and say, can I package smile pack, which uses this license,
    >> for the non-free section, or it'll be rejected?

    I see this:

    - You can distribute them for free use in forums, chats and other
    applications, as long as the smiles are unmodified and this text file is
    included within the RAR file.
    - You may not repackage them and redistribute them with other smiles
    without my permission.

    This makes it look like it is not possible to switch from the original
    archive to any other kind of archive. So you cannot distribute it as a
    Debian package. Drop it ;-)...

    Cheers,

    Vincent

    --
    Vincent Fourmond, Debian Developer
    http://vince-debian.blogspot.com/

    It was funny how people were people everywhere you went, even if the
    people concerned weren't the people the people who made up the phrase
    ``people are people everywhere'' had traditionally thought of as people.
    -- Terry Pratchet, The Fifth Elephant

    Vincent, listening to How Many More Times (Led Zeppelin)

  5. Re: Package plugins packaging

    On Sun, 2008-11-09 at 17:24 +0100, Vincent Fourmond wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Всеволод Величко wrote:
    > > May be, you can help me with the following?
    > >> which CC licenses are treated as DFSG compatible now? Could someone read this license:
    > >> http://pastebin.com/m4ba1c5ed and say, can I package smile pack, which uses this license,
    > >> for the non-free section, or it'll be rejected?

    > I see this:
    >
    > - You can distribute them for free use in forums, chats and other
    > applications, as long as the smiles are unmodified and this text file is
    > included within the RAR file.
    > - You may not repackage them and redistribute them with other smiles
    > without my permission.
    >
    > This makes it look like it is not possible to switch from the original
    > archive to any other kind of archive. So you cannot distribute it as a
    > Debian package. Drop it ;-)...

    Or, put the rar file in a tarball, and it qualifies for non-free if it's
    REALLY important to have it available.

  6. Re: Package plugins packaging

    2008/11/9 Martin Meredith :
    > Or, put the rar file in a tarball, and it qualifies for non-free if it's
    > REALLY important to have it available.

    Wow, it's really interesting idea Hopefully, I'll have no need in this.

    --
    Best wishes,
    Velichko Vsevolod