Call for testing of RC1 images - Debian

  2. Re: Call for testing of RC1 images

    On Wednesday 05 November 2008, Otavio Salvador wrote:
    > The Debian-CD Team has prepared a testing set of images[1] of RC1 for
    > us to give it a try. If all goes well we should release Debian
    > Installer RC1 in Monday.
    >
    > 1. http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/.lenny_rc1/
    >
    > Please give them a try and report any problem to us (in debian-boot
    > mailing list).

    And the "other" images / installation methods don't need testing?
    Cool. That will mean arm and mipsen won't get any testing.

    Installs in foreign languages don't need testing?
    Special installations (lvm, crypto, raid, sata raid, multipath, etc.)
    don't need testing?

    We used to have this nice file release-checklist in SVN. Ah, cool it's
    still there. So basically the real problem is that no one gives a ****
    anymore?

  3. Re: Call for testing of RC1 images

  4. Re: Call for testing of RC1 images

    On Wednesday 05 November 2008, Otavio Salvador wrote:
    > No, this is a person who has a fullday work plus University trying to
    > do his best to make the release happen.

    Why don't you try _asking_ for help if you can't do everything yourself?
    Preferably with some overview of what you intend to do yourself and
    exactly what you'd like others to do.

    Instead all we (the rest of the team) get from you is total silence.
    Every once in a while suddenly something happens. You have not sent a
    release status update or planning or anything basically to the list in
    months...
    As RM your main job is to _coordinate_ the release: make sure that
    everything that needs to be done actually gets done.

    It would also help if you'd stop saying you will do extra stuff (like
    follow up on the source requirement mails) and then completely fail to do
    so without ANY explanation and without asking if others could help out.

    > You might just help on that instead of blame me. This could help a
    > lot.

    Well, I'm afraid I won't help much, for reasons previously given. But if
    you'd at least asked for help, I wouldn't be bitching about things.

    As long as you don't give any indication that you cannot do a job properly
    because of lack of time, you cannot blame others for expecting you to do
    it properly.

    ASK for help processing installation reports and gathering info about
    possible RC issues, ASK for help preparing announcements, ASK for help
    with whatever.
    But don't leave others in the dark and don't just skip important steps
    because you don't have the time to do them.

    IMO it's better to tell people you cannot do a job you've accepted and
    taken responsibility for, then to do the job half-arsed.
    If nobody else steps up to help you or take over, then you still have the
    option to do things half-arsed, but at least then you'll be able to tell
    people who complain to go to hell.

  5. Re: Call for testing of RC1 images

    I downloaded the i386-kde-CD-1 image from there and installed it on a
    new Virtual Machine on VMware 3.5.0 and it worked. Next week when I have
    some time I will try it on some real machines.
    Good work, Thanks.
    Stephen Frazier
    Oklahoma Department of Corrections

    Otavio Salvador wrote:

  6. Re: Call for testing of RC1 images

    Frans Pop writes:

    > On Wednesday 05 November 2008, Otavio Salvador wrote:
    >> No, this is a person who has a fullday work plus University trying to
    >> do his best to make the release happen.

    > Why don't you try _asking_ for help if you can't do everything yourself?
    > Preferably with some overview of what you intend to do yourself and
    > exactly what you'd like others to do.

    Well, that is probably my own fault since I always try to no bother
    people and try to do all myself. I reconice it. This is can be
    improved and I'll try to do better next time.

    > Instead all we (the rest of the team) get from you is total silence.
    > Every once in a while suddenly something happens. You have not sent a
    > release status update or planning or anything basically to the list in
    > months...

    Sorry but I don't agree about this. My way to coordinate the release
    is different of your. I do most of coordination through IRC and talk a
    lot in chat with people responsable by each area.

    I agree that I could have done a better job giving people more status
    updates... but don't think people were lost regarting the release
    planning neither what is missing to be done.

    > As RM your main job is to _coordinate_ the release: make sure that
    > everything that needs to be done actually gets done.

    > It would also help if you'd stop saying you will do extra stuff (like
    > follow up on the source requirement mails) and then completely fail to do
    > so without ANY explanation and without asking if others could help out.

    I've said that I'll look into that and I'll do it when possible. Since
    RC1 is not our last release before final (we'll have a RC2) this is
    not required to be done exactly now.

    >> You might just help on that instead of blame me. This could help a
    >> lot.

    > Well, I'm afraid I won't help much, for reasons previously given. But if
    > you'd at least asked for help, I wouldn't be bitching about things.

    I'm really sad to read this (yes, I know your reasons) but I accept.

    > As long as you don't give any indication that you cannot do a job properly
    > because of lack of time, you cannot blame others for expecting you to do
    > it properly.
    >
    > ASK for help processing installation reports and gathering info about
    > possible RC issues, ASK for help preparing announcements, ASK for help
    > with whatever.
    > But don't leave others in the dark and don't just skip important steps
    > because you don't have the time to do them.

    I've asked people to help with release announcement, and other things
    here in mailing list but few people did it. I agree I could be more
    clear about things but I always try to not bother too much about the
    issues.

    > IMO it's better to tell people you cannot do a job you've accepted and
    > taken responsibility for, then to do the job half-arsed.
    > If nobody else steps up to help you or take over, then you still have the
    > option to do things half-arsed, but at least then you'll be able to tell
    > people who complain to go to hell.

    Well this is indeed a good point and I'll do best next times.

    Basically my TODO list, that I'm lacking time to do... and I
    appreciate help with:

    - check missing items in release announcement
    - check outdated items in errata and propose a patch in mailing list
    for it
    - check source requirement mails items (source packages that are need
    to be in sync in lenny and sid due GPL and like)
    - check missing acks on sources for lenny (kernel, packages building
    udebs, ...)
    - prepare a diff for website about RC1 release

    I've probably missed few ones but if I remember I'll post it here.

    Release the Debian Installer is a huge job and when I've joined as
    Release Manager the idea was to do that as a team. That team was I,
    Jeremy and Joey. After that each one has stoping to work as RM (each
    one has their reasons, no problem on that) and it ended in my hands. I
    try to offer all my free time to d-i and I'm constantly sad due my
    inability to give more time for it.

    I love Debian and I feel d-i is a really core part of the release
    ... if someone wants to join this effort _please_ do it. I know I'm far
    from perfect but I'm sure I always do my best ...

    Do someone wants to join and really form a team to release Debian
    Installer? Help is needed!

    Cheers,

    - --
    O T A V I O S A L V A D O R
    E-mail: otavio@debian.org UIN: 5906116
    GNU/Linux User: 239058 GPG ID: 49A5F855
    you the whole house."

  7. Re: Call for testing of RC1 images

    On Wed, Nov 05, 2008 at 01:54:20PM -0200, Otavio Salvador wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > The Debian-CD Team has prepared a testing set of images[1] of RC1 for us
    > to give it a try. If all goes well we should release Debian Installer
    > RC1 in Monday.
    >
    > 1. http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/.lenny_rc1/
    >
    > Please give them a try and report any problem to us (in debian-boot
    > mailing list).

    fwiw, netinsts work fine on a HP ProLiant DL380 G5 (i386) and an HP
    Itanium rx2600 (ia64). thanks!

  8. Re: Call for testing of RC1 images

    Quoting Otavio Salvador (otavio@debian.org):

    > > On Wednesday 05 November 2008, Otavio Salvador wrote:
    > >> No, this is a person who has a fullday work plus University trying to
    > >> do his best to make the release happen.

    > > Why don't you try _asking_ for help if you can't do everything yourself?
    > > Preferably with some overview of what you intend to do yourself and
    > > exactly what you'd like others to do.

    > Well, that is probably my own fault since I always try to no bother
    > people and try to do all myself. I reconice it. This is can be
    > improved and I'll try to do better next time.

    I won't enter this debate too deeply but I have to confirm that I
    share some concerns with Frans even if it's not my method to express
    it the way he does it (not blaming: we both have our work and
    communication method and different work methods is what makes a good
    team).

    I don't want to blame you too much, Otavio, because I always find this
    unfair to people who made things happen. You manage the release the
    way you think is appropriate and, well, the release is very hard to
    manage as there's a lot of things to do and you're tempted to do them
    on your own....just like the former release managers did.....which is
    what probably cannot continue.

    > > Instead all we (the rest of the team) get from you is total silence.
    > > Every once in a while suddenly something happens. You have not sent a
    > > release status update or planning or anything basically to the list in
    > > months...

    > Sorry but I don't agree about this. My way to coordinate the release
    > is different of your. I do most of coordination through IRC and talk a
    > lot in chat with people responsable by each area.

    But, some of the most active contributors for D-I (Frans, /me,
    Jérémy, Joey....) are much less active on IRC....so that may not very
    well fit our current work method. This is one of the thigns that
    changed dramatically since the woody->sarge and sarge->etch release cycles.

    > I've said that I'll look into that and I'll do it when possible. Since
    > RC1 is not our last release before final (we'll have a RC2) this is

    We *need* to say this to the release team. Are they aware of that*?

    Having an RC2 will delay the lenny release by about 2 months more,
    making it impossible to happen before February, imho. Are they aware
    of this?

  9. todo list for the release (Re: Call for testing of RC1 images

    Hi,

    I'm refraining from crossposting this to -release and -devel...
    but I think this news get to go out!

    On Thursday 06 November 2008 01:09, Otavio Salvador wrote:
    > Basically my TODO list, that I'm lacking time to do... and I
    > appreciate help with:
    >
    > - check missing items in release announcement
    > - check outdated items in errata and propose a patch in mailing list
    > for it
    > - check source requirement mails items (source packages that are need
    > to be in sync in lenny and sid due GPL and like)
    > - check missing acks on sources for lenny (kernel, packages building
    > udebs, ...)
    > - prepare a diff for website about RC1 release
    >
    > I've probably missed few ones but if I remember I'll post it here.

    Here? Wouldnt it be better to put them on a "d-i lenny release work" wiki page
    or such? a blog post? a post to d-d-a?!

    Also, what Christian wrote: "Having an RC2 will delay the lenny release by
    about 2 months more, making it impossible to happen before February, imho.
    Are they aware of this?" (they=release team)

    regards,
    Holger (too busy with other stuff to help here, just bye-standing)

  10. Re: Call for testing of RC1 images

    Hello,

    Just a note that I downloaded [0] and gave it a try, installing under
    a KVM x86/ia32 virtio-enabled guest machine and everything was fine.

    I did two installs, one using the standard text (ncurses) based
    install option and other using the graphicall (GTK+) based install
    option, bith using Brazilian Portuguese (pt_BR) language.

    Also, on both installs I selected the standard guided partitioning
    scheme and the standard partition layout (only one swap partition and a
    big root partition) and selected only the "base system" and "desktop" tasks.

    Regards,

    --
    André Luís Lopes
    andrelop@{andrelop,debian}.org

  11. Re: Call for testing of RC1 images

    Hi,

    On Wed, Nov 05, 2008 at 10:09:32PM -0200, Otavio Salvador wrote:
    [snip]

    > Release the Debian Installer is a huge job and when I've joined as
    > Release Manager the idea was to do that as a team. That team was I,
    > Jeremy and Joey. After that each one has stoping to work as RM (each
    > one has their reasons, no problem on that) and it ended in my hands. I
    > try to offer all my free time to d-i and I'm constantly sad due my
    > inability to give more time for it.
    >
    > I love Debian and I feel d-i is a really core part of the release
    > .. if someone wants to join this effort _please_ do it. I know I'm far
    > from perfect but I'm sure I always do my best ...
    >
    > Do someone wants to join and really form a team to release Debian
    > Installer? Help is needed!

    I can help. Just tell me what to do.

    > Cheers,
    >
    > - --
    > O T A V I O S A L V A D O R
    > - ---------------------------------------------
    > E-mail: otavio@debian.org UIN: 5906116
    > GNU/Linux User: 239058 GPG ID: 49A5F855
    > Home Page: http://otavio.ossystems.com.br
    > - ---------------------------------------------
    > "Microsoft sells you Windows ... Linux gives
    > you the whole house."
    >

    > --

    _________________________
    Ryan Niebur
    ryanryan52@gmail.com

  12. Re: Call for testing of RC1 images

    Hello,

    André Luís Lopes escreveu:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Just a note that I downloaded [0] and gave it a try, installing under
    > a KVM x86/ia32 virtio-enabled guest machine and everything was fine.

    Yeah, I know, [0] wasn't actually provided. It's now :-)

    Besides that, I also did the exact same tests using the XFCE image
    provided at [1] and again both tests were also successful.

    I did not tested KDE images as someone else reported on this thread
    that he tested it with success already.

    [0]http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/.lenny_rc1/i386/iso-cd/debian-testing-i386-CD-1.iso
    [1]http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/.lenny_rc1/i386/iso-cd/debian-testing-i386-xfce-CD-1.iso

    Regards,

    --
    André Luís Lopes
    andrelop@{andrelop,debian}.org
    http://www.andrelop.org/blog/
    Public GPG KeyID : 9D1B82F6

  13. Re: Call for testing of RC1 images

    Ryan Niebur writes:

    > Hi,
    >
    > On Wed, Nov 05, 2008 at 10:09:32PM -0200, Otavio Salvador wrote:
    > [snip]
    >>
    >> Release the Debian Installer is a huge job and when I've joined as
    >> Release Manager the idea was to do that as a team. That team was I,
    >> Jeremy and Joey. After that each one has stoping to work as RM (each
    >> one has their reasons, no problem on that) and it ended in my hands. I
    >> try to offer all my free time to d-i and I'm constantly sad due my
    >> inability to give more time for it.
    >>
    >> I love Debian and I feel d-i is a really core part of the release
    >> .. if someone wants to join this effort _please_ do it. I know I'm far
    >> from perfect but I'm sure I always do my best ...
    >>
    >> Do someone wants to join and really form a team to release Debian
    >> Installer? Help is needed!
    >>

    > I can help. Just tell me what to do.

    We'll have a meeting tomorrow about this. Is it possible to you to
    participate?

    --
    O T A V I O S A L V A D O R
    E-mail: otavio@debian.org UIN: 5906116
    GNU/Linux User: 239058 GPG ID: 49A5F855

  14. Re: Call for testing of RC1 images

    On Thu, Nov 06, 2008 at 03:24:45PM -0200, Otavio Salvador wrote:
    > Ryan Niebur writes:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > On Wed, Nov 05, 2008 at 10:09:32PM -0200, Otavio Salvador wrote:
    > > [snip]
    > >>
    > >> Release the Debian Installer is a huge job and when I've joined as
    > >> Release Manager the idea was to do that as a team. That team was I,
    > >> Jeremy and Joey. After that each one has stoping to work as RM (each
    > >> one has their reasons, no problem on that) and it ended in my hands. I
    > >> try to offer all my free time to d-i and I'm constantly sad due my
    > >> inability to give more time for it.
    > >>
    > >> I love Debian and I feel d-i is a really core part of the release
    > >> .. if someone wants to join this effort _please_ do it. I know I'm far
    > >> from perfect but I'm sure I always do my best ...
    > >>
    > >> Do someone wants to join and really form a team to release Debian
    > >> Installer? Help is needed!
    > >>

    > > I can help. Just tell me what to do.

    > We'll have a meeting tomorrow about this. Is it possible to you to
    > participate?

    yup. I'm assuming it's just in #debian-boot, right?

    --
    _________________________
    Ryan Niebur

  15. Re: Call for testing of RC1 images

    On Thursday 06 November 2008, Christian Perrier wrote:
    > Having an RC2 will delay the lenny release by about 2 months more,
    > making it impossible to happen before February, imho. Are they aware
    > of this?

    The fact that we need an RC2 is not primairily "our fault". As long as
    developers keep targeting updates of packages used in D-I images at lenny
    such as Gnome libs and libssl, as long as we keep getting new kernel
    uploads because of upstream releases or bug fixes, we don't have a
    choice.

    And we also have some bugs of our own to fix.

    But an RC2 release can happen a lot quicker than the RC1 release (if
    managed properly), at least as long as there's no kernel ABI change.
    Why? Because in that case migrating components to testing does not break
    the existing release. Because we won't need additional string freeze
    periods. And because the changes are a lot smaller and have been
    individually tested (one would hope), you can do with only basic testing.

  16. Re: Call for testing of RC1 images

    Ryan Niebur writes:

    > On Thu, Nov 06, 2008 at 03:24:45PM -0200, Otavio Salvador wrote:
    >> Ryan Niebur writes:
    >>
    >> > Hi,
    >> >
    >> > On Wed, Nov 05, 2008 at 10:09:32PM -0200, Otavio Salvador wrote:
    >> > [snip]

    >> > I can help. Just tell me what to do.

    >> We'll have a meeting tomorrow about this. Is it possible to you to
    >> participate?
    >>

    > yup. I'm assuming it's just in #debian-boot, right?

    Yes. You're right.

    --
    O T A V I O S A L V A D O R
    E-mail: otavio@debian.org UIN: 5906116
    GNU/Linux User: 239058 GPG ID: 49A5F855

  17. Re: Call for testing of RC1 images

    Quoting Frans Pop (elendil@planet.nl):

    > But an RC2 release can happen a lot quicker than the RC1 release (if
    > managed properly), at least as long as there's no kernel ABI change.

    OK, thanks for the detailed rationale.

    However, and no offense intended to Otavio, but are we *really* able
    to manage the release more properly than RC1, with the "resources" we
    have (that includes Otavio's available time and Otavio's work method)?

    That's why I fear that an RC2 is probably likely to take 2 more months
    to get out....which, of course, I'd be delighted to be proven wrong
    about...

  18. Re: Call for testing of RC1 images

    On Wed, 2008-11-05 at 13:54 -0200, Otavio Salvador wrote:

    > The Debian-CD Team has prepared a testing set of images[1] of RC1 for us
    > to give it a try. If all goes well we should release Debian Installer
    > RC1 in Monday.
    >
    > 1. http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/.lenny_rc1/

    I have tested root on SoftRaid+LVM, under kvm i386.

    So the following regression tests[1] might be considered passed :
    * lvm over raid
    * raid 1 root and boot (lilo)
    * netinst CD install [I had Internet connection too]
    * rescue mode [I love the RAID+LVM detection !]

    * lvm install from netinst CD [I had Internet connection too]

    Franklin

    [1] http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/d-i/trunk...ile&rev=0&sc=0

  19. Re: Call for testing of RC1 images

    On Sat, 2008-11-08 at 17:22 +0100, Frank Lin PIAT wrote:
    > On Wed, 2008-11-05 at 13:54 -0200, Otavio Salvador wrote:
    > >
    > > The Debian-CD Team has prepared a testing set of images[1] of RC1 for us
    > > to give it a try. If all goes well we should release Debian Installer
    > > RC1 in Monday.
    > >
    > > 1. http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/.lenny_rc1/

    * I have tested qemu/i386 with 32mb ram, from netinst cdrom + mirror.
    The installation went fine (in legacy "text" mode, but I assume it
    is normal).

    So the following regression tests[1] might be considered passed :
    - 32 mb ram install
    - netinst CD install

    * I have also tested qemu/i386 with 48mb ram, from netinst cdrom +
    mirror. The installation went fine (in "newt" mode).

    So the following regression tests[1] might be considered passed :
    - 48 mb ram install
    - netinst CD install

    Regarding installgui, qemu refused to boot it with less than 52Mb of
    RAM. The installation guide mention 48[1] (the screen is black). However
    another VM (VirtualPC) was happy with 48Mb.

    [1] http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.i386/apds06.html

    Franklin