problems with deXlan (Intersil) wifi pcmcia card - Debian

This is a discussion on problems with deXlan (Intersil) wifi pcmcia card - Debian ; Hi to Everyone, I have given up any further attempts to get my router 'fonera' to work in a client mode to wirelessly connect to various networks. Instead, I am now trying to get a wifi card working. I got ...

  1. problems with deXlan (Intersil) wifi pcmcia card

    Hi to Everyone,

    I have given up any further attempts to get my router 'fonera' to work in
    a client mode to wirelessly connect to various networks. Instead, I am now
    trying to get a wifi card working.

    I got a 'deXlan' pcmcia 802.11b card. It seems to get reckognized right
    away, as 'pccardctl ident' says:

    Socket1
    product info: 'INTERSIL" "HFA384x/IEEE" "version 01.02
    manfid 0x0156, 0x0002
    function 6 (network)
    MAC: 00026F...
    FCC ID: NI3-2511CD-PLUS

    #iwconfig

    lo no wireless extensions

    irda0 no wireless extensions

    wifi0 IEEE 802.11b ESSID: "test"
    Mode:Master Access Point: Not Associated Bit Rate:11 Mb/s
    Sensitivity=1/3
    Retry min limit:8 RTS thrff Fragment thrff
    Encryption key: off
    Power Management: off

    wlan0 IEEE 802.11b ESSID: "test"
    Mode:Master Access Point: Not Associated Bit Rate:11 Mb/s
    Sensitivity=1/3
    Retry min limit:8 RTS thrff Fragment thrff
    Encryption key: off
    Power Management: off
    Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0

    *****************************

    I suppose that the interface that interrests me for my purpose is wlan0 (I
    don't know what irda0 and wifi0 are for ; I don't have anything like that
    on my desktop: just one interface ra0).

    In my system, I have hostap and hostap_cs modules loaded. These are
    said to be proper drivers for my pcmcia wifi card. But I still don't
    know how to get that card to wirelessly connect to my DSL box. To do so, I
    have tried to use commands similar to those in the 'interfaces' file on my
    Desktop, but this does
    not work, and some commands are not reckognized :

    ******************
    /etc/network/interfaces :

    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

    auto wlan0
    iface wlan0 inet dhcp

    ****************
    with this above abreged 'interfaces' file,
    if I run ifup wlan0, I get :

    wifi0: unknown hardware address type 801
    wifi0: unknown hardware address type 801
    Listening on LPF/wlan0/00:02....
    Sending on LPF/wlan0/00:02....
    Sending on Socket/fallback
    DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 5
    DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 11
    DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 20
    DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 17
    DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 8
    No DHCPOFFERS received
    No working leases in persistent database - sleeping

    *********************

    Now, I knew that my wifi card could not connect to my DSL box that way,
    since there is no mention of ssid or keys in my interfaces file, and
    that, of course, my DSL box is not set to open. But then, if I add those
    mentions as they figure in the config file of my desktop, I get a reply
    saying that such commands are unknown :

    the following line, added to the 'interfaces' file:

    pre-up iwpriv wlan0 set AuthMode=WPAPSK
    etc...

    generate the following error : 'invalid command SET'. If I remove 'SET', I
    get 'invalid command AuthMode'...

    I wonder if 'wpasupplicant', which appears to be installed on my system,
    does intervene in this process, and if it would be wise to wonder if and
    how I should modify a config file in there

    I have found no doc concerning the hostap driver and daemon, there is no
    man page and no doc or readme file installed.

    Thanks in advance for any useful input

    Bernard

  2. Re: problems with deXlan (Intersil) wifi pcmcia card

    J.Ke▀ler wrote:

    > Hello Bernard,
    >
    > I'm not a complete expert since I got my WLAN stuff working via GNOME
    > tools I suggest you try the instructions which can be found here:
    >
    > http://wiki.debian.org/WPA
    >
    > Since we don't know which version of Debian you use, you have to
    > decide yourself which instructions will suit your problem best.

    Even though it is an old machine (Thinkpad 600), I have recently
    installed Debian Etch (4.0) on it, with kernel 2.6.18

    > Also it would be helpfull to write which commands and settings you
    > alread executed and set. Also in which files.

    I have not executed and set much, since most things were already
    installed with the distro. I went to the wiki/debian/wpa doc, where it
    is suggested to use 'wext' together with wpa_supplicant. However, I
    don't have 'wext' on that system. I have 'wext' on my Desktop on Debian
    Sarge, but not on my laptop with Debian Etch, and I can no longer find
    any wext package, since it does not seem to belong to the Etch system
    and the Sarge files are no longer available, or if they are, I don't
    know where to get them from. In any case, even with the 'backports'
    options, apt-cache search wext gives nothing. However, if I write, in my
    /etc/network/interfaces file :

    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback
    auto wlan0
    iface wlan0 inet dhcp
    wpa-driver wext
    wpa-ssid Livebox-46db
    wpa-psk 7795.......

    a /etc/init.d/networking restart does not seem to complain about non
    existing 'wext' package. Here is what I get:

    Reconfiguring network interfaces... SIOCDELRT: No such process
    There is already a pid file /var/run/dhclient.wlan0.pid with pid 4218
    killed old client process, removed PID file
    Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client V3.0.4...
    wifi0: unknown hardware address type 801
    wifi0: unknown hardware address type 801
    Listening on LPF/wlan0/00:02....
    Sending on LPF/wlan0/00:02....
    Sending on Socket/fallback
    DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 6
    DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 15
    DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 7
    DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 14
    DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 9
    DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 10
    No DHCPOFFERS received
    No working leases in persistent database - sleeping
    done.

> [...]
    >> since there is no mention of ssid or keys in my interfaces file, and
    >> that, of course, my DSL box is not set to open. But then, if I add those
    >> mentions as they figure in the config file of my desktop, I get a reply
    >> saying that such commands are unknown :
    >>
    >> the following line, added to the 'interfaces' file:
    >>
    >> pre-up iwpriv wlan0 set AuthMode=WPAPSK
    >> etc...
    >>
    >> generate the following error : 'invalid command SET'. If I remove
    >> 'SET', I
    >> get 'invalid command AuthMode'...
    >>
    >> I wonder if 'wpasupplicant', which appears to be installed on my system,
    >> does intervene in this process, and if it would be wise to wonder if and
    >> how I should modify a config file in there
    >>
    >> I have found no doc concerning the hostap driver and daemon, there is no
    >> man page and no doc or readme file installed.

  3. Re: problems with deXlan (Intersil) wifi pcmcia card

    On Tue, Nov 04, 2008 at 07:29:50PM +0100, Bernard wrote:
    > I got a 'deXlan' pcmcia 802.11b card. It seems to get reckognized right
    > away, as 'pccardctl ident' says:
    >
    > Socket1
    > product info: 'INTERSIL" "HFA384x/IEEE" "version 01.02

    seems to be compat with orinoco_cs module

    > irda0 no wireless extensions

    that's the IrDA interface

    > wifi0 IEEE 802.11b ESSID: "test"

    hm ...

    > wlan0 IEEE 802.11b ESSID: "test"

    hmmm ...

    post output from 'lsmod'.
    Also, post output from 'dmesg|egrep 'wifi|wlan|ndis'

    > pre-up iwpriv wlan0 set AuthMode=WPAPSK
    > etc...

    %man iwpriv
    Without any argument, iwpriv list the available private commands available on each interface

    > I wonder if 'wpasupplicant', which appears to be installed on my system,

    yes, RTFM

    > I have found no doc concerning the hostap driver and daemon, there is no

    not needed, unless you want your notebook to act like an access point.

    --
    paolo

  4. Re: problems with deXlan (Intersil) wifi pcmcia card

    Le Wed, 05 Nov 2008 00:30:14 +0100, Paolo a ├ęcrit:

    > On Tue, Nov 04, 2008 at 07:29:50PM +0100, Bernard wrote:
    >> I got a 'deXlan' pcmcia 802.11b card. It seems to get reckognized right
    >> away, as 'pccardctl ident' says:
    >>
    >> Socket1
    >> product info: 'INTERSIL" "HFA384x/IEEE" "version 01.02

    > seems to be compat with orinoco_cs module
    >
    >> irda0 no wireless extensions

    > that's the IrDA interface
    >
    >> wifi0 IEEE 802.11b ESSID: "test"

    > hm ...
    >
    >> wlan0 IEEE 802.11b ESSID: "test"

    > hmmm ...
    >
    > post output from 'lsmod'.

    #lsmod
    Module Size Used by
    rfcomm 34712 0
    l2cap 21760 5 rfcomm
    bluetooth 46020 4 rfcomm,l2cap
    nvram 8328 1
    uinput 8288 1
    button 6672 0
    ac 5188 0
    battery 9636 0
    dm_snapshot 15552 0
    dm_mirror 19152 0
    dm_mod 50200 2 dm_snapshot,dm_mirror
    loop 15048 0
    orinoco_cs 15844 0
    orinoco 36084 1 orinoco_cs
    hermes 7008 2 orinoco_cs,orinoco
    hostap_cs 53652 3
    hostap 96580 1 hostap_cs
    ieee80211_crypt 5952 1 hostap
    snd_opl3_lib 9920 0
    tsdev 7520 0
    snd_hwdep 8836 1 snd_opl3_lib
    snd_cs4231_lib 23232 0
    irtty_sir 7808 0
    sir_dev 15492 1 irtty_sir
    snd_pcm 68676 1 snd_cs4231_lib
    snd_timer 20996 3 snd_opl3_lib,snd_cs4231_lib,snd_pcm
    snd_page_alloc 10184 2 snd_cs4231_lib,snd_pcm
    snd_mpu401_uart 8064 0
    pcmcia 34140 2 orinoco_cs,hostap_cs
    firmware_class 9600 1 pcmcia
    snd_rawmidi 22560 1 snd_mpu401_uart
    snd_seq_device 7820 2 snd_opl3_lib,snd_rawmidi
    nsc_ircc 20912 0
    snd 47012 8 snd_opl3_lib,snd_hwdep,snd_cs4231_lib,snd_pcm,snd_ timer,snd_mpu401_uart,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_device
    rtc 12372 0
    parport_pc 32132 0
    parport 33256 1 parport_pc
    analog 10784 0
    irda 162588 3 irtty_sir,sir_dev,nsc_ircc
    ns558 4832 0
    crc_ccitt 2240 1 irda
    ad1848 28028 0
    uart401 11172 0
    sound 69736 2 ad1848,uart401
    soundcore 9248 2 snd,sound
    gameport 14632 3 analog,ns558
    serio_raw 6660 0
    psmouse 35016 0
    floppy 53156 0
    i2c_piix4 8268 0
    pcspkr 3072 0
    i2c_core 19680 1 i2c_piix4
    yenta_socket 24460 4
    rsrc_nonstatic 11840 1 yenta_socket
    pcmcia_core 36852 5 orinoco_cs,hostap_cs,pcmcia,yenta_socket,rsrc_nons tatic
    evdev 9088 0
    ext3 119240 1
    jbd 52456 1 ext3
    mbcache 8356 1 ext3
    ide_cd 36064 0
    cdrom 32544 1 ide_cd
    ide_disk 14848 3
    generic 4868 0 [permanent]
    uhci_hcd 21164 0
    piix 9444 0 [permanent]
    usbcore 112644 2 uhci_hcd
    ide_core 110504 4 ide_cd,ide_disk,generic,piix
    thermal 13608 0
    processor 28840 1 thermal
    fan 4804 0

    #dmesg|egrep 'wifi|wlan|ndis'
    hostap_cs: Registered netdevice wifi0
    wifi0: NIC: id=0x800c v1.0.0
    wifi0: PRI: id=0x15 v1.1.0
    wifi0: STA: id=0x1f v1.4.9
    wifi0: defaulting to bogus WDS frame as a workaround for firmware bug in Host AP mode WDS
    wifi0: registered netdevice wlan0
    prism2: wlan0: operating mode changed 3 -> 2
    wifi0: dropped unencrypted TX data frame (drop_unencrypted=1)
    wifi0: dropped unencrypted TX data frame (drop_unencrypted=1)
    ***above two lines repeated eleven times ! ***
    wlan0: Preferred AP (SIOCSIWAP) is used only in Managed mode when host_roaming is enabled
    *** above two lines repeated eleven times again ****
    wlan0: Preferred AP (SIOCSIWAP) is used only in Managed mode when host_roaming is enabled
    wifi0: dropped unencrypted TX data frame (drop_unencrypted=1)
    wifi0: dropped unencrypted TX data frame (drop_unencrypted=1)
    wifi0: dropped unencrypted TX data frame (drop_unencrypted=1)
    wlan0: Preferred AP (SIOCSIWAP) is used only in Managed mode when host_roaming is enabled
    wifi0: dropped unencrypted TX data frame (drop_unencrypted=1)
    etc... four times
    wlan0: Preferred AP (SIOCSIWAP) is used only in Managed mode when host_roaming is enabled
    wifi0: dropped unencrypted TX data frame (drop_unencrypted=1)
    four times repeat
    wlan0: Preferred AP (SIOCSIWAP) is used only in Managed mode when host_roaming is enabled
    wifi0: dropped unencrypted TX data frame (drop_unencrypted=1)
    line repeated 11 times
    wlan0: Preferred AP (SIOCSIWAP) is used only in Managed mode when host_roaming is enabled
    wifi0: dropped unencrypted TX data frame (drop_unencrypted=1)
    line repeated 4 times
    wifi0: dropped unencrypted TX data frame (drop_unencrypted=1)
    wifi0: dropped unencrypted TX data frame (drop_unencrypted=1)
    wlan0: Preferred AP (SIOCSIWAP) is used only in Managed mode when host_roaming is enabled
    wifi0: dropped unencrypted TX data frame (drop_unencrypted=1)
    line repeated 23 times

    > --
    > paolo

  5. Re: problems with deXlan (Intersil) wifi pcmcia card

    On Wed, Nov 05, 2008 at 01:11:19AM +0000, bd wrote:
    > orinoco_cs 15844 0
    > orinoco 36084 1 orinoco_cs
    > hermes 7008 2 orinoco_cs,orinoco
    > hostap_cs 53652 3
    > hostap 96580 1 hostap_cs
    > ieee80211_crypt 5952 1 hostap

    > hostap_cs: Registered netdevice wifi0
    > wifi0: NIC: id=0x800c v1.0.0
    > wifi0: PRI: id=0x15 v1.1.0
    > wifi0: STA: id=0x1f v1.4.9
    > wifi0: defaulting to bogus WDS frame as a workaround for firmware bug in Host AP mode WDS
    > wifi0: registered netdevice wlan0
    > prism2: wlan0: operating mode changed 3 -> 2
    > wifi0: dropped unencrypted TX data frame (drop_unencrypted=1)
    > wifi0: dropped unencrypted TX data frame (drop_unencrypted=1)
    > ***above two lines repeated eleven times ! ***
    > wlan0: Preferred AP (SIOCSIWAP) is used only in Managed mode when host_roaming is enabled

    so hostap is taking the hardware; I guess you just want to connect to your
    AP, ie act as client, so remove/don't load hostap*.

    --
    paolo

  6. Re: problems with deXlan (Intersil) wifi pcmcia card

    Paolo wrote:

    >On Wed, Nov 05, 2008 at 01:11:19AM +0000, bd wrote:
    >

    >>orinoco_cs 15844 0
    >>orinoco 36084 1 orinoco_cs
    >>hermes 7008 2 orinoco_cs,orinoco
    >>hostap_cs 53652 3
    >>hostap 96580 1 hostap_cs
    >>ieee80211_crypt 5952 1 hostap

    >>hostap_cs: Registered netdevice wifi0
    >>wifi0: NIC: id=0x800c v1.0.0
    >>wifi0: PRI: id=0x15 v1.1.0
    >>wifi0: STA: id=0x1f v1.4.9
    >>wifi0: defaulting to bogus WDS frame as a workaround for firmware bug in Host AP mode WDS
    >>wifi0: registered netdevice wlan0
    >>prism2: wlan0: operating mode changed 3 -> 2
    >>wifi0: dropped unencrypted TX data frame (drop_unencrypted=1)
    >>wifi0: dropped unencrypted TX data frame (drop_unencrypted=1)
    >>***above two lines repeated eleven times ! ***
    >>wlan0: Preferred AP (SIOCSIWAP) is used only in Managed mode when host_roaming is enabled
    >>

    >so hostap is taking the hardware; I guess you just want to connect to your
    >AP, ie act as client, so remove/don't load hostap*.

    Very difficult to remove or don't load hostap. 'rmmod' says that
    'hostap' being in use, I can't remove it, same for hostap_cs. There is a
    warning about using the --force option, which says that it may be very
    dangerous to force remove a module in use. I then searched for a
    modprobe.conf file, only to find '/etc/discover-modprobe.conf'. In this
    file, I added the following line :

    skip="hostap hostap_cs"

    I then rebooted. After reboot, the hostap modules did not appear in
    'lsmod' output, but then it did not take long for me to realize that
    this module did not load at boot time, whether the skip line was there
    or not. The hostap modules load right after you have introduced the
    pcmcia wifi card in its slot. So, I don't really know how to get away
    with the hostap module, unless I perform a 'apt-get remove hostap' but
    then it might lead me into unexpected problems. In any case, in my
    /etc/network/interfaces file, I have tried replacing

    wpa-driver wext

    by wpa-driver orinoco

    and then by

    wpa-driver hostap

    with no difference whatsoever as far as end results were concerned.

    By the way, some more details of what exactly happen, with the
    interfaces file as follow:

    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback
    auto wlan0
    iface wlan0 inet dhcp
    wpa-driver wext
    wpa-ssid Livebox-46db
    wpa-psk 7799........

    #/etc/init.d/networking restart
    Reconfiguring network interfaces...
    wifi0: unknown hardware address type 801
    wifi0: unknown hardware address type 801
    Listening on LPF/wlan0/00:02:...
    Sending on LPF/wlan0/00:02:...
    Sending on Socket/fallback
    ioctl[SIOCSIWAUTH]: Operation not supported
    WEXT auth param 7 value 0x1 - Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client V3.0.4
    wifi0: unknown hardware address type 801
    wifi0: unknown hardware address type 801
    Listening on LPF/wlan0/00:02:...
    Sending on LPF/wlan0/00:02:...
    Sending on Socket/fallback
    DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 5
    DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 8
    DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 10
    DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 13
    DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 15
    DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 10
    No DHCPOFFERES received
    No working leases in persistent database - sleeping
    done.

  7. Re: problems with deXlan (Intersil) wifi pcmcia card

    On Wed, Nov 05, 2008 at 01:02:05PM +0100, Bernard wrote:
    > pcmcia wifi card in its slot. So, I don't really know how to get away
    > with the hostap module, unless I perform a 'apt-get remove hostap' but
    > then it might lead me into unexpected problems. In any case, in my

    no problems, unless you want your machine to act like an AP.
    Removing the pkg is the simplest way to get rid of it, else check pkg's
    docs to learn how to configure/disable it.

    > wpa-driver wext

    check 'wpa_supplicant --help' for drivers wpa_supp understands; however,
    wext should be the safe choice on recente kernels.

    > wifi0: unknown hardware address type 801

    no news here, remove/disable hostap.

    --
    paolo

  8. Re: problems with deXlan (Intersil) wifi pcmcia card

    Paolo wrote:

    >On Wed, Nov 05, 2008 at 01:02:05PM +0100, Bernard wrote:
    >

    >>pcmcia wifi card in its slot. So, I don't really know how to get away
    >>with the hostap module, unless I perform a 'apt-get remove hostap' but
    >>then it might lead me into unexpected problems. In any case, in my
    >>

    >no problems, unless you want your machine to act like an AP.
    >Removing the pkg is the simplest way to get rid of it, else check pkg's
    >docs to learn how to configure/disable it.
    >

    >>wpa-driver wext
    >>

    >check 'wpa_supplicant --help' for drivers wpa_supp understands; however,
    >wext should be the safe choice on recente kernels.
    >

    >>wifi0: unknown hardware address type 801
    >>

    >no news here, remove/disable hostap.

    I have somewhat moved forward... I mean that I have read quite a bit of
    doc here and there, and I know a little more about wifi. However,
    nothing works still, and I now wonder if I can get this to work.

    If I am not mistaking, the reason why I can't wirelessly connect to my
    DSL box is that I don't provide the appropriate password : the pasword
    that I send is a wpa pasword, and hostap does not support wpa as is ; it
    may support wpa when associated with wpa_supplicant with an appropriate
    config file, AND a running daemon 'hostapd'. Besides my DSL box, I don't
    have any other network that I could test and try to connect to : I can
    see three other networks that appear during scanning, but they are also
    encrypted. I could try to change the settings of my DSL box so as to set
    it for WEP paswords, but I am not keen to do that, even for a test : I
    bet it would work, but then it is not my purpose to have that DSL box
    WEP encrypted. I intend to be able to occasionnally connect to WEP
    encrypted Access Points when travelling, but none of that at home. In
    any case, if I can't connect my laptop to my DSL box at home using WPA
    encryption, my pcmcia wifi card will be of no use, except maybe 5 or 6
    times a year during travels.

    According to what I have read, the 'orinoco' driver that is supposed to
    also work for my 'intersil prism2' pcmcia card, does not support WPA.
    Before I learnt that, I did try to remove 'hostap'. I tried several
    times, with no success. I have removed the 'hostap-utils' packages
    (apt-get remove hostap-utils). This removal seemed to have worked all
    right. But then, once the pcmcia card was introduced into its slot, the
    hostpad and hostpad_cs modules came back into action, with exactly the
    same results as previously. I believe that the internal firmware of the
    wifi card does download a few hostap files onto my system. Still, the
    latter said, whenever queryed, that the 'hostap-utils' package was not
    installed. Then I thought that I had better install it properly again,
    and see if that made a difference : the package got newly installed all
    right, but there was no difference in the behaviour of my pcmcia wifi
    card. As soon as you introduce that card in its slot, dmesg and other
    reports tell you that hostpad driver has been started, whether or not
    the debian package is installed. Later on, I realized that I could have
    tried to change files in /etc/pcmcia/ : config, config.opts,
    hostap_cs.conf, so as to bind my intersil card to orinoco, but, by then,
    I had realized that in any case this was not wpa compatible, so I didn't
    bother.

    So, now, I have read some more doc about wpa_supplicant. I have written
    an /etc/wpa_supplicant.config file, a very simple one for a test :

    begin copy/paste
    **************************************

    ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant

    ### Example of basic WPA-PSK secured AP
    network={
    ssid="Livebox-46db"
    key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
    proto=WPA
    pairwise=TKIP
    group=TKIP
    psk="7799****************73**ad"
    }

    ### Associate with any open access point
    ### Scans/ESSID changes can be done with wpa_cli
    network={
    key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
    }

    end copy/paste

    From there on, I tried a wpa_supplicant command as suggested in one of
    the readme files or man pages so as to test the system and debug :

    #wpa_supplicant -iwlan0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -d

    Here is what I got. At first, a copy/paste of what bears the most
    important information : Driver does not support WPA !

    SIOCGIWRANGE: WE(compiled)=20 WE(source)=18 enc_capa=0xf
    capabilities: key_mgmt 0xf enc 0xf
    Added alternative ifindex 5 (wifi0) for wireless events
    WEXT: Operstate: linkmode=1, operstate=5
    Added alternative ifindex 5 (wifi0) for wireless events
    Own MAC address: 00:02:6f:05:f4:41
    wpa_driver_hostap_set_wpa: enabled=1
    IOCTL[PRISM2_IOCTL_PRISM2_PARAM]: Operation not supported
    Driver does not support WPA.

    then the whole of it :

    begin copy/paste
    ********************************

    Initializing interface 'wlan0' conf '/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf' driver 'default' ctrl_interface 'N/A' bridge 'N/A'
    Configuration file '/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf' -> '/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf'
    Reading configuration file '/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf'
    ctrl_interface='/var/run/wpa_supplicant'
    Priority group 0
    id=0 ssid='Livebox-46db'
    id=1 ssid=''
    Initializing interface (2) 'wlan0'
    EAPOL: SUPP_PAE entering state DISCONNECTED
    EAPOL: KEY_RX entering state NO_KEY_RECEIVE
    EAPOL: SUPP_BE entering state INITIALIZE
    EAP: EAP entering state DISABLED
    EAPOL: External notification - portEnabled=0
    EAPOL: External notification - portValid=0
    SIOCGIWRANGE: WE(compiled)=20 WE(source)=18 enc_capa=0xf
    capabilities: key_mgmt 0xf enc 0xf
    Added alternative ifindex 5 (wifi0) for wireless events
    WEXT: Operstate: linkmode=1, operstate=5
    Added alternative ifindex 5 (wifi0) for wireless events
    Own MAC address: 00:02:6f:05:f4:41
    wpa_driver_hostap_set_wpa: enabled=1
    IOCTL[PRISM2_IOCTL_PRISM2_PARAM]: Operation not supported
    Driver does not support WPA.
    wpa_driver_hostap_set_key: alg=none key_idx=0 set_tx=0 seq_len=0 key_len=0
    wpa_driver_hostap_set_key: alg=none key_idx=1 set_tx=0 seq_len=0 key_len=0
    wpa_driver_hostap_set_key: alg=none key_idx=2 set_tx=0 seq_len=0 key_len=0
    wpa_driver_hostap_set_key: alg=none key_idx=3 set_tx=0 seq_len=0 key_len=0
    wpa_driver_hostap_set_countermeasures: enabled=0
    wpa_driver_hostap_set_drop_unencrypted: enabled=1
    Setting scan request: 0 sec 100000 usec
    Added interface wlan0
    RTM_NEWLINK: operstate=0 ifi_flags=0x1002 ()
    Wireless event: cmd=0x8b06 len=8
    RTM_NEWLINK: operstate=0 ifi_flags=0x1003 ([UP])
    RTM_NEWLINK, IFLA_IFNAME: Interface 'wifi0' added
    RTM_NEWLINK: operstate=0 ifi_flags=0x1003 ([UP])
    RTM_NEWLINK, IFLA_IFNAME: Interface 'wlan0' added
    RTM_NEWLINK: operstate=0 ifi_flags=0x1003 ([UP])
    RTM_NEWLINK, IFLA_IFNAME: Interface 'wlan0' added
    State: DISCONNECTED -> SCANNING
    Starting AP scan (broadcast SSID)
    Trying to get current scan results first without requesting a new scan to speed up initial association
    Received 332 bytes of scan results (2 BSSes)
    Scan results: 2
    Selecting BSS from priority group 0
    0: 00:90:4b:c3:7d:42 ssid='Livebox-46db' wpa_ie_len=0 rsn_ie_len=0 caps=0x11
    skip - no WPA/RSN IE
    1: 00:16:41:65:93:51 ssid='Alice-c685' wpa_ie_len=0 rsn_ie_len=0 caps=0x11
    skip - no WPA/RSN IE
    No suitable AP found.
    Setting scan request: 0 sec 0 usec
    Starting AP scan (broadcast SSID)
    RTM_NEWLINK: operstate=0 ifi_flags=0x1003 ([UP])
    Wireless event: cmd=0x8b19 len=8
    Received 332 bytes of scan results (2 BSSes)
    Scan results: 2
    Selecting BSS from priority group 0
    0: 00:90:4b:c3:7d:42 ssid='Livebox-46db' wpa_ie_len=0 rsn_ie_len=0 caps=0x11
    skip - no WPA/RSN IE
    1: 00:16:41:65:93:51 ssid='Alice-c685' wpa_ie_len=0 rsn_ie_len=0 caps=0x11
    skip - no WPA/RSN IE
    No suitable AP found.
    Setting scan request: 5 sec 0 usec
[...]
    CTRL-EVENT-TERMINATING - signal 2 received
    Removing interface wlan0
    State: SCANNING -> DISCONNECTED
    wpa_driver_wext_set_operstate: operstate 0->0 (DORMANT)
    WEXT: Operstate: linkmode=-1, operstate=5
    No keys have been configured - skip key clearing
    EAPOL: External notification - portEnabled=0
    EAPOL: External notification - portValid=0
    wpa_driver_hostap_set_wpa: enabled=0
    Failed to disable WPA in the driver.
    wpa_driver_hostap_set_drop_unencrypted: enabled=0
    wpa_driver_hostap_set_countermeasures: enabled=0
    No keys have been configured - skip key clearing
    WEXT: Operstate: linkmode=0, operstate=6
    cancelling scan request

    ********************************
    end copy/paste

    I must point out that, in any case, the conditions for the support of
    wpa encryption were not met : it is being said that you need, on top of
    the hostap_cs driver, a running daemon 'hostapd'. Even though I have
    installed and configured that daemon using debian packages, I can't
    launch it, even though I have done many trials fiddling with the daemon
    config file

    #'/usr/sbin/hostapd /etc/hostapd.conf' tells me the following :

    ioctl(SIOCGIFINDEX): No such device
    hostap driver initialisation failed
    rmdir[ctrl_interface]: no such file or directory

    My hostapd.conf does not contain much, I left the minimum in it for a start:

    interface=wlan0
    debug=3
    dump file=/tmp/hostapd.dump (nothing in it)
    ctrl_interface=/var/run/hostapd
    ssid=Livebox46db

    if, in the config file, I don't disable 'passive scanning', I get this
    reply: "Could not set passive scanning. Unknown error 4294967295"

    So, 'hostapd' is not running, which could be a good reason why I can't
    connect to my network (DSL box/router). There may also be another reason
    : in the doc written by the author of hostap, I have picked this :

    "Station firmware version needs to be 1.7.0 or newer to work in WPA mode"

    I suppose that the so called 'station firmware', or 'STA firmware', is
    the peace of software that is inside the pcmcia card... ? How am I to
    know which version it is ? There is nothing written on it for that matter.

    Thanks in advance for some more help

    Bernard

  9. Re: problems with deXlan (Intersil) wifi pcmcia card

    On Fri, Nov 07, 2008 at 07:15:11PM +0100, Bernard wrote:

    > According to what I have read, the 'orinoco' driver that is supposed to
    > also work for my 'intersil prism2' pcmcia card, does not support WPA.

    indeed

    > Before I learnt that, I did try to remove 'hostap'. I tried several

    > hostap_cs.conf, so as to bind my intersil card to orinoco, but, by then,
    > I had realized that in any case this was not wpa compatible, so I didn't
    > bother.

    note that hostap* pkgs and hostap driver are different matter: the 1st are
    the pkgs while the latter is the kernel driver.

    For AP station you need hostapd, for client station wpa_supplicant.

    But you also need to check that your card can actually support WPA:

    > "Station firmware version needs to be 1.7.0 or newer to work in WPA mode"

    that's the culprint now.

    > I suppose that the so called 'station firmware', or 'STA firmware', is
    > the peace of software that is inside the pcmcia card... ? How am I to
    > know which version it is ? There is nothing written on it for that matter.

    - check card docs
    - check card with card's own utils (if any)
    - check dmesg output on driver load

    eg I've got an old Avaya orinoco_cs card:

    eth1: Hardware identity 0001:0001:0004:0002
    eth1: Station identity 001f:0001:0007:001c
    eth1: Firmware determined as Lucent/Agere 7.28
    eth1: Ad-hoc demo mode supported
    eth1: IEEE standard IBSS ad-hoc mode supported
    eth1: WEP supported, 104-bit key
    eth1: MAC address 00:02:2d:xx:xx:xx
    eth1: Station name "HERMES I"
    eth1: ready
    eth1: orinoco_cs at 0.0, irq 3, io 0x3100-0x313f

    and got latest fw from vendors's site. This card isn't supported by
    hostap_cs, nor it would support WPA at all. 802.1x could be a better option
    then plain WEP anyway, but for my needs WEP104 is/was fine.

    - check prism2 sites, suitable fw may be avail there - beware though that
    a wrong fw may turn your card into a brick.
    - if you can't use WEP, and your card can't do WAP, and you can't setup a
    VPN (like your case, for a simple DSL modem on the other end), well, you
    have no choice but buy another card/USB-wlan.

    HTH
    --
    paolo

  10. Re: problems with deXlan (Intersil) wifi pcmcia card

    On Sat, Nov 08, 2008 at 12:58:31PM +0100, Paolo wrote:
    > On Fri, Nov 07, 2008 at 07:15:11PM +0100, Bernard wrote:
    >
    > > According to what I have read, the 'orinoco' driver that is supposed to
    > > also work for my 'intersil prism2' pcmcia card, does not support WPA.

    hm, but checking your wpa_supp logs I notice:

    Scan results: 2
    Selecting BSS from priority group 0
    0: 00:90:4b:c3:7d:42 ssid='Livebox-46db' wpa_ie_len=0 rsn_ie_len=0 caps=0x11
    skip - no WPA/RSN IE
    1: 00:16:41:65:93:51 ssid='Alice-c685' wpa_ie_len=0 rsn_ie_len=0 caps=0x11
    skip - no WPA/RSN IE
    No suitable AP found.

    are you sure your AP is set to WPA?

    Also, if it's a cardbus pccard (32bit, not a 16bit pcmcia), vendor likely
    provides NDIS driver for MS-W*, which you can try to use instead of hostap*
    with ndiswrapper (if such ndis driver supports WPA, that is).

    --
    paolo

  11. Re: problems with deXlan (Intersil) wifi pcmcia card

    Paolo wrote:

    >On Sat, Nov 08, 2008 at 12:58:31PM +0100, Paolo wrote:
    >

    >>On Fri, Nov 07, 2008 at 07:15:11PM +0100, Bernard wrote:
    >>

    >>>According to what I have read, the 'orinoco' driver that is supposed to
    >>>also work for my 'intersil prism2' pcmcia card, does not support WPA.
    >>>

    >hm, but checking your wpa_supp logs I notice:

    >Scan results: 2
    >Selecting BSS from priority group 0
    >0: 00:90:4b:c3:7d:42 ssid='Livebox-46db' wpa_ie_len=0 rsn_ie_len=0 caps=0x11
    > skip - no WPA/RSN IE
    >1: 00:16:41:65:93:51 ssid='Alice-c685' wpa_ie_len=0 rsn_ie_len=0 caps=0x11
    > skip - no WPA/RSN IE
    >No suitable AP found.
    >
    >are you sure your AP is set to WPA?

    Sure it is. At this very moment, I am wirelessly connected with this
    desktop (using a ralink card under Debian Sarge), and my config file
    (/etc/network/interfaces) is as follows :

    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback
    auto ra0
    iface ra0 inet dhcp
    pre-up iwconfig ra0 essid Livebox-46db
    pre-up iwpriv ra0 set AuthMode=WPAPSK
    pre-up iwpriv ra0 set EncrypType=TKIP
    pre-up iwpriv ra0 set WPAPSK="779xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxAD"

    the pasword (or passphrase, don't exactly know how it is called: 26
    char) is the same that I use with my laptop and pcmcia card ; it
    connects all right on this desktop, not with the laptop.

    Oh, by the way, I am going to ask a stupid question: on the desktop, I
    have both an Ethernet card and a Wireless card (Wifi card) inside...
    while on the laptop I have never more than one pcmcia card at a time,
    either the Ethernet card (that one - D-Link 660 - works all right and
    provide good cable connexions to my DSL box and to the Internet), or the
    WiFi card. Indeed, at one time I got the idea to carry a test with the
    Ethernet card in slot 1 and the WiFi card in slot 2... but nothing
    worked, I couldn't even reboot with both cards in: the boot process got
    stuck in the middle.

    So, I hope that wifi connexions on laptops are supposed to work with
    just a wifi card, and not an Ethernet card on top...

    I went inside my DSL box, using Firefox in root mode, with
    http://192.168.1.1, that allowed me to check once more the parameters:

    Amongst other informations, this :

    wireless network service : 802.11g
    easy pairing : ON
    Mode 802.11 802.11b+g
    Channel: 10 - 2.457GHz
    Security : WPA
    etc...

  12. Re: problems with deXlan (Intersil) wifi pcmcia card

    On Sat, Nov 08, 2008 at 06:28:18PM +0100, Bernard wrote:
    > >are you sure your AP is set to WPA?

    > Sure it is. At this very moment, I am wirelessly connected with this

    > pre-up iwconfig ra0 essid Livebox-46db
    > pre-up iwpriv ra0 set AuthMode=WPAPSK
    > pre-up iwpriv ra0 set EncrypType=TKIP
    > pre-up iwpriv ra0 set WPAPSK="779xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxAD"

    hm, pls post output from 'iwconfig ra0' and 'iwlist ra0 scan' on that
    desktop - obfuscate sensitive data of course.

    > the pasword (or passphrase, don't exactly know how it is called: 26

    key ?

    > Ethernet card in slot 1 and the WiFi card in slot 2... but nothing
    > worked, I couldn't even reboot with both cards in: the boot process got
    > stuck in the middle.

    resources conflict, likely - check pccard config and dmesg/boot msg; try
    to insert/remove both cards when it's up and running normally, check if
    it hangs/freezes, check dmesg/ifconfig/iwconfig/pccardctl if the modules
    get loaded, resources are allocated, interfaces appears etc.

    > So, I hope that wifi connexions on laptops are supposed to work with
    > just a wifi card, and not an Ethernet card on top...

    of course, they're the same thing, only the medium is different.

    > I went inside my DSL box, using Firefox in root mode, with

    > Security : WPA

    ok, but output from above commands would be of interest anyway.

    --
    paolo

  13. Re: problems with deXlan (Intersil) wifi pcmcia card : the end

    At last, I know why WPA connexion trials never succeeded on my laptop.
    Indeed, I have been able to figure what was the firmware STA version of
    my prism2 card, it shows with 'dmesg':

    wifi0 STA id 0x1f v1.4.9

    while the author of the Hostap software says that STA firmware version
    needs to be 1.7.0 or newer to work in WPA mode.

    So, that's it ! Right after that, I have changed the settings in my DSL
    box so as to have WEP encryption mode, I removed WPA supplicant from my
    system, and then my pcmcia wireless card started to behave. With only 7
    lines in /etc/network/interfaces :

    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback
    auto wlan0
    iface wlan0 inet dhcp
    wireless-mode Managed
    wireless-essid Livebox-46db
    wireless-key 77......

    and this is it !

    Connexion to the Internet is almost instant, speed is the same as with a
    wire connexion to the DSL box. Having that box set to wep encryption
    mode does not please me that much, but I think that I will keep it that
    way for awhile. I am not prepared to spend any more time searching for
    another suitable wifi pcmcia card and fiddling around for hours and
    days, especially since I have some more questions concerning my Thinkpad
    600.

    I will start another thread with this, but in a few words :

    the laptops interrupts (is this the right word ?), which used to work
    perfectly well under RedHat 7.2 (which I have had for about 6 years on
    that laptop) do not operate under Debian Etch. Nothing shuts down or
    goes to sleep when I close the lid, neither the video nor the hard disk
    (I can hear its noise) ; I am not sure whether the fan works or not ;
    nothing goes to sleep after a while even when the system is powered on
    battery... if I press Fn+F4 on the keyboard (sleep icon), the system
    indeed goes to sleep, but then there is no way to awaken it
    afterwards... and a CTRL-ALT-DEL does nothing, same if pressing the off
    switch... the only way to get out of this is to unplug AC power AND
    remove battery for a few seconds, then put it back and start again. I
    now have to shutdown this laptop everyday, even several times a day,
    while, when it ran under RedHat 7.2, I practically never shut it down,
    just closed the lid.

    Do you think that I could post here a copy of my last /var/log/messages
    (about 300 lines), or maybe I should give an url where to find it...
    well, this is it, here is the link :

    http://www.teaser.fr/~bdebreil/log_messages

    A few things bother me in this file. Fans and sleep modes as just
    mentioned, and this too:

    localhost kernel pcmcia: detected deprecated PCMCIA ioctl usage for
    process: discover
    localhost kernel pcmcia : this interface will soon be removed from the
    kernel. Please expect breakage unless you upgrade to new tools

    Oh, by the way, I just remembered something. By the time when I tried to
    install Debian Sarge on that laptop (I now have Etch), there was
    something in the logfile about fans and sleep modes, I can barely
    remember what it exactly was... something like this : "XXX (sleep fans
    etc) enabled, XXX (sleep fans etc) disabled : BIOS too old"... but I see
    no such messages with Etch, it simply does not work, same as with Sarge.

  14. Re: problems with deXlan (Intersil) wifi pcmcia card : the end

    On Sun, Nov 09, 2008 at 05:46:09PM +0100, Bernard wrote:

    > my prism2 card, it shows with 'dmesg':
    >
    > wifi0 STA id 0x1f v1.4.9

    maybe check vendor's site for upgrades

    > So, that's it ! Right after that, I have changed the settings in my DSL
    > box so as to have WEP encryption mode, I removed WPA supplicant from my

    not needed at all - instead, better keep it installed; wpa_supplicant
    can be used to manage all kind of modes (except AP), from no enc at all to
    EAP/WPAx.

    > Connexion to the Internet is almost instant, speed is the same as with a

    glad you succeeded eventually

    > I will start another thread with this, but in a few words :

    yep, pls start new thread, likely other TP user will be of help.

    > Do you think that I could post here a copy of my last /var/log/messages
    > (about 300 lines), or maybe I should give an url where to find it...

    IMHO if possible it's better to _attach_ the _relevant_ excerpt - not
    inlined since mail formatting breaks lines and thus readability, so that
    all infos is archived in the ML, whereas URLs tend to disappear over time.
    But for big stuff URL is better, if not the only option.
    300 lines by ~100 char means ~30kB, which should be fair with most MLs - ie
    sf.net's limit is 40kB.

    > localhost kernel pcmcia: detected deprecated PCMCIA ioctl usage for
    > process: discover
    > localhost kernel pcmcia : this interface will soon be removed from the
    > kernel. Please expect breakage unless you upgrade to new tools

    likely old stuff from previous installation - you'd better check and clean
    up, ie remove all 'sarge' pkgs.

    > remember what it exactly was... something like this : "XXX (sleep fans
    > etc) enabled, XXX (sleep fans etc) disabled : BIOS too old"... but I see
    > no such messages with Etch, it simply does not work, same as with Sarge.

    that's from the kernel, there was a limit release date for ACPI to be
    deemed reliable, iirc that option has been removed - you need to play with
    kernel boot params acpi*, apm* and find what works - hopely some other TP
    user has infos for you.

    --
    paolo

  15. Re: problems with deXlan (Intersil) wifi pcmcia card : the end

    On Sun, 9 Nov 2008, Bernard wrote:

    > At last, I know why WPA connexion trials never succeeded on my laptop.
    > Indeed, I have been able to figure what was the firmware STA version of
    > my prism2 card, it shows with 'dmesg':
    >
    > wifi0 STA id 0x1f v1.4.9
    >
    > while the author of the Hostap software says that STA firmware version
    > needs to be 1.7.0 or newer to work in WPA mode.

    Indeed. You might find these pages useful:

    http://w1.fi/
    http://linux.junsun.net/intersil-prism/

    Cheers,

    --
    Cristian

  16. Re: problems with deXlan (Intersil) wifi pcmcia card : the end

    Cristian Ionescu-Idbohrn wrote:

    >On Sun, 9 Nov 2008, Bernard wrote:
    >

    >>At last, I know why WPA connexion trials never succeeded on my laptop.
    >>Indeed, I have been able to figure what was the firmware STA version of
    >>my prism2 card, it shows with 'dmesg':
    >>
    >>wifi0 STA id 0x1f v1.4.9
    >>
    >>while the author of the Hostap software says that STA firmware version
    >>needs to be 1.7.0 or newer to work in WPA mode.
    >>

    >Indeed. You might find these pages useful:
    >
    > http://w1.fi/
    > http://linux.junsun.net/intersil-prism/
    >

    >Cheers,

    Thanks a lot for these two links. I have learnt why I couldn't get rid
    of the hostap driver, no matter if I removed the debian package I had
    installed earlier : hostap is built in kernels 2.6. The mere fact of
    installing an older version of hostap might even have been a source of
    conflicts. The second thing I learnt is that there are possibliities to
    flash the internal firmware software and replace it by a newer
    version... I kind of supposed that this could be done, but I suspected
    this to be a hazardous choice... I now know that such process is well
    documented and explained

  17. problem with sleep modes etc.. on a ThinkPad600 with Etch

    Hi to Everyone,

    The laptops interrupts (is this the right word ?) - which had worked
    perfectly well for many years on my ThinkPad 600 under RedHat 7.2 - do
    not operate under Debian Etch. Nothing shuts down or goes to sleep when
    I close the lid, neither the video nor the hard disk (I can hear its
    noise) ; I am not sure whether the fan works or not ; nothing goes to
    sleep after a while even when the system is powered on battery... if I
    press Fn+F4 on the keyboard (sleep icon), the system indeed goes to
    sleep, but then there is no way I can awaken it ... and a CTRL-ALT-DEL
    does nothing, same if pressing the OFF switch... the only way to get out
    of this is to unplug AC power AND remove battery for a few seconds, then
    put it back and start again. I now have to shutdown this laptop
    everyday, even several times a day, while, when it ran under RedHat 7.2,
    I practically never shut it down, just closed the lid.

    If someone wishes to see the /var/log/messages generated by my laptop
    system during last boot, this is being displayed at the following address.

    http://www.teaser.fr/~bdebreil/log_messages

    Thanks in advance for any shared experience or advice so as to get that
    old laptop operate as it should.

    Bernard

  18. Re: problem with sleep modes etc.. on a ThinkPad600 with Etch

    On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 06:26:25PM +0100, Bernard wrote:
    > Hi to Everyone,
    >
    > The laptops interrupts (is this the right word ?) - which had worked
    > perfectly well for many years on my ThinkPad 600 under RedHat 7.2 - do

    did you already check/search here?

    http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/

    HTH
    --