Re: [ OT ] Internet accounting (UA) - Debian

This is a discussion on Re: [ OT ] Internet accounting (UA) - Debian ; On 04/11/2008, at 5:34 PM, Wojciech Ziniewicz wrote: > I thought that it's not possible at all : > a) there's no connection between BGP prefixes and geographical > situation There is no official connection - although, it would be ...

  1. Re: [ OT ] Internet accounting (UA)

    On 04/11/2008, at 5:34 PM, Wojciech Ziniewicz wrote:

    > I thought that it's not possible at all :
    > a) there's no connection between BGP prefixes and geographical
    > situation

    There is no official connection - although, it would be possible to
    create some
    sort of mapping based on IP addresses/ AS Numbers...

    A provider could also set up his accounting scheme based
    on whether traffic travelled via a peering, or via an upstream.

    > b) there's no way to do the "accounting" of what was the origin of the
    > data that was sent until a user
    > is going thru the proxy or something similar solution.

    Not quite true - you could easily map IP address, or even take the AS
    number.
    - The provider would need to create a mapping on his side though.

    The question is whether this solution scales. If the users are on
    modems, not a problem
    but as soon as DSL, and larger connections come into play - NO WAY...
    It costs you more
    to bill it.

    > c) would it be possible that biggest Ukrainian ISP is doing such a
    > resources-demanding bussiness ?

    Possible yes - sensible... I couldn't imagine so - but I hope they
    know their market
    better than I do.

    Cheers

    Andrew

  2. Re: Re[2]: [ OT ] Internet accounting (UA)

    2008/11/5 Bogdan :
    > Dear Wojciech,
    >
    > I couldn't find any hard figures of the number of dial-up users, only a single estimate at ~20% of all internet users (as per http://24.ua/news/show/id/43733.htm)
    >
    > There are some "hard figures" for 2006, but they are split among home users (45% dial-up) and corporate users (3% dial-up): http://www.kontrakty.com.ua/show/ukr...520067774.html
    >
    > Also, as of 2005, there was an estimated 75% segment of dial-up users (as per http://uk.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%A0%...97%D0%BD%D1%96 , which cites the now non-accessible original article)

    Thank You Bogdan - that's all I wanted to know - You were VERY helpful !

    thanks again
    wojtek

    --
    Wojciech Ziniewicz
    Unix SEX :{look;gawk;find;sed;talk;grep;touch;finger;find;f l