Where is the real forum? - Debian

This is a discussion on Where is the real forum? - Debian ; This newsgroup is about as quiet as a cemetery. Where is the real forum where people post questions and get them answered? -- Particularly questions about debian and xorg....

  1. Where is the real forum?

    This newsgroup is about as quiet as a cemetery.

    Where is the real forum where people post questions and get them
    answered? -- Particularly questions about debian and xorg.

  2. Re: Where is the real forum?

    Orange writes:
    > This newsgroup is about as quiet as a cemetery.

    I don't find it so.

    > Where is the real forum where people post questions and get them
    > answered? -- Particularly questions about debian and xorg.

    Go to www.debian.org and subscribe to the debian-user mailing liat. I
    think that you will find enough action there to satisfy you.

    Or you could just post your question here.
    --
    John Hasler

  3. Re: Where is the real forum?

    Orange wrote:
    > This newsgroup is about as quiet as a cemetery.
    >
    > Where is the real forum where people post questions and get them
    > answered? -- Particularly questions about debian and xorg.

    Your cemetery must be full of the dead dead.

    Last night mine was hopping!

    I couldn't get to sleep until the sun came up and the last vampire and
    zombie retired.

    --
    John

  4. Re: Where is the real forum?

    Orange wrote in
    :

    >This newsgroup is about as quiet as a cemetery.
    >
    > Where is the real forum where people post questions and get them
    >answered? -- Particularly questions about debian and xorg.

    What was your question that didn't get answered? You could also try the
    linux.debian.* newsgroups.

    --
    Harry

  5. Re: Where is the real forum?

    On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 15:33:58 -0500, John Hasler
    wrote:

    >Go to www.debian.org and subscribe to the debian-user mailing liat. I
    >think that you will find enough action there to satisfy you.

    You'll think this is *really* dim. It probably is.

    I've seen that facility, but didn't understand what would result.
    I've never 'subscribed' to a 'mailing list'.

    After subscribing, what happens? Are messages sent to to my email
    address, and I can then read them in my email reader? (I use Forte
    Agent to read newsgroups.)

    Presumably, unlike the newsgroup, because I use pop3, the whole
    message arrives, not just a header?

    And being on (if its a good day) 19k2 dial up, do any of the messages
    have attachments, and are messages long? Do the messages ever have
    earlier messages 'quoted', like the newsgroup messages do?

    Over a period, are we looking at 5, 50, 500, or more messages per day?

    Do you reply using a normal 'email reply' function? And, presumably,
    a new topic is started just by sending a 'new' message from the email
    client?

    Sorry for the basic questions. Genuinely, I've never had the chance
    to see this sort of system operate, so I don't really know how it
    goes.

    Thanks for any insight,

    --
    rgds Bernie

  6. Re: Where is the real forum?

    John Hasler wrote:
    > Orange writes:
    >> This newsgroup is about as quiet as a cemetery.

    > I don't find it so.
    >
    >> Where is the real forum where people post questions and get them
    >> answered? -- Particularly questions about debian and xorg.

    > Go to www.debian.org and subscribe to the debian-user mailing liat. I
    > think that you will find enough action there to satisfy you.
    >
    > Or you could just post your question here.

    If I may warn, some Debian mailing list pick-up a lot of spam due to the
    person controlling that list server not actively blocking spam.
    --
    Jimmy Johnson

    Debian GNU/Linux Sid
    Registered Linux User #380263

  7. Re: Where is the real forum?

    Jimmy Johnson writes:
    > If I may warn, some Debian mailing list pick-up a lot of spam due to the
    > person controlling that list server not actively blocking spam.

    The Debian listmasters apply very aggressive anti-spam measures and at
    least 99% of the spam hitting the filters is blocked. Unfortunately, at
    least 90% of the messages hitting those filters are spam so a little bit
    get through. If it bothers you apply your own filters.

    You can also read the Debian lists at .
    --
    John Hasler

  8. Re: Where is the real forum?

    Bernie wrote:
    > On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 15:33:58 -0500, John Hasler
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Go to www.debian.org and subscribe to the debian-user mailing liat. I
    >> think that you will find enough action there to satisfy you.
    >>

    > You'll think this is *really* dim. It probably is.
    >
    > I've seen that facility, but didn't understand what would result.
    > I've never 'subscribed' to a 'mailing list'.
    >
    > After subscribing, what happens? Are messages sent to to my email
    > address, and I can then read them in my email reader? (I use Forte
    > Agent to read newsgroups.)

    Yes. I would suggest subscribing to the gmane.linux.debian.user news group,
    which is an NNTP gateway to the debian-user mailing list:

    - Chris Burkhardt

  9. Re: Where is the real forum?

    John Hasler wrote:
    > Jimmy Johnson writes:
    >
    >> If I may warn, some Debian mailing list pick-up a lot of spam due to the
    >> person controlling that list server not actively blocking spam.
    >>

    > The Debian listmasters apply very aggressive anti-spam measures and at
    > least 99% of the spam hitting the filters is blocked. Unfortunately, at
    > least 90% of the messages hitting those filters are spam so a little bit
    > get through. If it bothers you apply your own filters.
    >
    > You can also read the Debian lists at .

    Are the lists not posted into some NNTP newsgroups?

    Newsgroups are superior to e-mail lists, and even smoke signals are
    better than Web-based forums.

    --
    John

  10. Re: Where is the real forum?

    Chris Burkhardt wrote:
    > Bernie wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 15:33:58 -0500, John Hasler
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>> Go to www.debian.org and subscribe to the debian-user mailing liat. I
    >>> think that you will find enough action there to satisfy you.
    >>>

    >> You'll think this is *really* dim. It probably is.
    >>
    >> I've seen that facility, but didn't understand what would result.
    >> I've never 'subscribed' to a 'mailing list'.
    >>
    >> After subscribing, what happens? Are messages sent to to my email
    >> address, and I can then read them in my email reader? (I use Forte
    >> Agent to read newsgroups.)
    >>

    > Yes. I would suggest subscribing to the gmane.linux.debian.user news group,
    > which is an NNTP gateway to the debian-user mailing list:
    >

    > - Chris Burkhardt

    Your "gmane.linux.debian.user" is not a newsgroup. It is a hierarchy
    (gmane.linux.debian.user.*) containing dozens of newsgroups.

    --
    John

  11. Re: Where is the real forum?

    John Hasler wrote:
    > Jimmy Johnson writes:
    >> If I may warn, some Debian mailing list pick-up a lot of spam due to the
    >> person controlling that list server not actively blocking spam.

    > The Debian listmasters apply very aggressive anti-spam measures

    Some block most spam and even apologize for spam that gets through.

    > and at
    > least 99% of the spam hitting the filters is blocked. Unfortunately, at
    > least 90% of the messages hitting those filters are spam so a little bit
    > get through. If it bothers you apply your own filters.

    Now you are getting personal, maybe I stepped on a nerve, I take very
    aggressive action towards spam, I don't think filters are enough, if you
    are running a server and it is spitting out spam I don't think you would
    enjoy me being on your list.

    I knew one list master that sent out windows virus, he's not a list
    master any longer. Some try to do the best job they can and some could
    care less.

    > You can also read the Debian lists at .

    --
    Jimmy Johnson

    Debian GNU/Linux Sid
    Registered Linux User #380263

  12. Re: Where is the real forum?

    John F. Morse wrote:
    > Chris Burkhardt wrote:
    >> Bernie wrote:

    >>> You'll think this is *really* dim. It probably is.
    >>> I've seen that facility, but didn't understand what would result.
    >>> I've never 'subscribed' to a 'mailing list'.
    >>>
    >>> After subscribing, what happens? Are messages sent to to my email
    >>> address, and I can then read them in my email reader? (I use Forte
    >>> Agent to read newsgroups.)

    >> Yes. I would suggest subscribing to the gmane.linux.debian.user news
    >> group,
    >> which is an NNTP gateway to the debian-user mailing list:
    >>

    >> - Chris Burkhardt
    >>

    > Your "gmane.linux.debian.user" is not a newsgroup. It is a hierarchy
    > (gmane.linux.debian.user.*) containing dozens of newsgroups.

    It is also a newsgroup itself: nntp://news.gmane.org/gmane.linux.debian.user
    (or use the web interface: http://news.gmane.org/gmane.linux.debian.user)

    - Chris

  13. Re: Where is the real forum?

    On 2008-11-03, John F. Morse wrote:

    > John Hasler wrote:
    >>
    >> You can also read the Debian lists at .
    >>

    > Are the lists not posted into some NNTP newsgroups?

    linux.debian.*

    > Newsgroups are superior to e-mail lists, and even smoke signals are
    > better than Web-based forums.

    if you want to post from your newsreader.

    Howard E.

  14. Re: Where is the real forum?

    "Orange" wrote
    > This newsgroup is about as quiet as a cemetery.
    >
    > Where is the real forum where people post questions and get them
    > answered? -- Particularly questions about debian and xorg.

    Personally I find this the best place to ask my questions about Debian
    packages (including xserver-xorg*).

    There's linux.debian.user, which as others have said is the debian-user
    mailing list, but its SNR is far lower than this group.

    There's comp.os.linux.setup, which has more traffic but is not
    distro-specific, and seems to have a majority of RedHat users. I still ask
    there if it's not a Debian-specific issue, usually with good results.

    There's uk.comp.linux and virginmedia.comp.linux, but I fail to see why
    anyone would need to discuss Linux in a geographically specific group.
    Perhaps lots of people have problems with locale settings?

    There's a decent web forum called linuxquestions.org, which I use
    occasionally, but I basically hate web fora so I don't use any others.

    So there's no single place, unfortunately.

    CC

  15. Re: Where is the real forum?

    Chris Burkhardt wrote:
    > John F. Morse wrote:
    >> Your "gmane.linux.debian.user" is not a newsgroup. It is a hierarchy
    >> (gmane.linux.debian.user.*) containing dozens of newsgroups.

    > It is also a newsgroup itself: nntp://news.gmane.org/gmane.linux.debian.user
    > (or use the web interface: http://news.gmane.org/gmane.linux.debian.user)
    >
    > - Chris

    Ah, after additional checking, I see you are quite correct.

    A telnet session indicates:

    group gmane.linux.debian.user
    211 335257 1843 337639 gmane.linux.debian.user

    Currently with 123,972 messages, it would certainly be a lifetime of
    reading! [Figuring 337,639 high-water mark, minus 1,843 low-water mark =
    335,796. Then subtracting all of the canceled and purged messages (lots
    of spam likely, and calculated to be 211,824), = 123,972 active articles
    in that group.]

    Thanks for pointing this out. It usually indicates "unauthorized"
    posting into a hierarchy when the ISC is involved. However, Gmane is a
    private server, hosting private groups, so the ISC really has no
    authority since it isn't USENET.

    I do have 38 Gmane groups subscribed, but never time enough to read.
    Gmane is only one of 17 news servers that I frequent (or
    infrequent). ;-)

    So much knowledge -- so little time!

    --
    John

  16. Re: Where is the real forum?

    On 2008-11-01, Orange was urged to write the following:
    > This newsgroup is about as quiet as a cemetery.
    >
    > Where is the real forum where people post questions and get them
    > answered? -- Particularly questions about debian and xorg.

    http://forums.debian.net

    may or may not be what you're looking for.

    --
    He's got a watch with a minute hand,
    Millenium hand and an eon hand.

+ Reply to Thread