Toshiba Satellite L300 nightmare - Debian

This is a discussion on Toshiba Satellite L300 nightmare - Debian ; I have a Toshiba Satellite L300 laptop which has been a nightmare for the last month as it is NOT very Linux compatible. (Wifi Lan Card, Sound Card). I am hoiping that the new Lenny distro will have some of ...

  1. Toshiba Satellite L300 nightmare

    I have a Toshiba Satellite L300 laptop which has been a nightmare for the
    last month as it is NOT very Linux compatible. (Wifi Lan Card, Sound
    Card). I am hoiping that the new Lenny distro will have some of these
    problems sorted out (drivers etc). Can anyone advise me if they know for
    sure that Lenny will function better. I have considered trying the
    'experimental' Lenny to see if it is more compatible.

    Also, if I buy an external USB Wifi can anyone suggest a model that works
    well with Debian (out of the box... and reasonably cheap).
    Thanks

    daka

  2. Re: Toshiba Satellite L300 nightmare

    On Wednesday 29 October 2008, daka wrote:
    > I have a Toshiba Satellite L300 laptop which has been a nightmare for
    > the last month as it is NOT very Linux compatible. (Wifi Lan Card,
    > Sound Card). I am hoiping that the new Lenny distro will have some of
    > these problems sorted out (drivers etc). Can anyone advise me if they
    > know for sure that Lenny will function better. I have considered
    > trying the 'experimental' Lenny to see if it is more compatible.

    The best you can do is just try a "daily built" image from [1]. Most of
    your issues are related to the kernel version and Lenny may well help
    with that.

    Calling Lenny "experimental" is not really correct. We are very close to
    release and there will be very few changes before we do.
    Even at other times the "testing" suite is considered suitable for daily
    use - primairily for desktop/laptop systems - by users who are
    comfortable with occasionally fixing package conflicts and dealing with
    minor regressions.

    If you would like some info on whether your hardware is supported, please
    send us the output of the command 'lspci -nn'. You can run that during
    the installation from a debug shell after switching to VT2.

    Cheers,
    FJP

    [1] http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/

  3. Re: Toshiba Satellite L300 nightmare

    Thanks FJP

    There is hope, then!! (for the Satellite L300)

    daka

    On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 16:17:05 +0100, Frans Pop wrote:

    > On Wednesday 29 October 2008, daka wrote:
    >> I have a Toshiba Satellite L300 laptop which has been a nightmare for
    >> the last month as it is NOT very Linux compatible. (Wifi Lan Card,
    >> Sound Card). I am hoiping that the new Lenny distro will have some of
    >> these problems sorted out (drivers etc). Can anyone advise me if they
    >> know for sure that Lenny will function better. I have considered
    >> trying the 'experimental' Lenny to see if it is more compatible.

    > The best you can do is just try a "daily built" image from [1]. Most of
    > your issues are related to the kernel version and Lenny may well help
    > with that.
    >
    > Calling Lenny "experimental" is not really correct. We are very close to
    > release and there will be very few changes before we do.
    > Even at other times the "testing" suite is considered suitable for daily
    > use - primairily for desktop/laptop systems - by users who are
    > comfortable with occasionally fixing package conflicts and dealing with
    > minor regressions.
    >
    > If you would like some info on whether your hardware is supported, please
    > send us the output of the command 'lspci -nn'. You can run that during
    > the installation from a debug shell after switching to VT2.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > FJP
    >
    > [1] http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/

  4. [OFFTOPIC] Re: Toshiba Satellite L300 nightmare

    Hi,

    On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 15:38:54 +0100 daka wrote:
    > Also, if I buy an external USB Wifi can anyone suggest a model that works
    > well with Debian (out of the box... and reasonably cheap).
    > Thanks

    I have an C54RU from Conceptronic. Works fine, the driver is
    included in the vanilla kernel (since 2.6.24 I think, not sure).

    http://www.conceptronic.net/site/des...691&Prod=C54RU

    Holger