AMD64 Lenny install with dmraid (RAID5) fails - Debian

This is a discussion on AMD64 Lenny install with dmraid (RAID5) fails - Debian ; I have a M2N-SLI mainboard with the NVidia BIOS RAID. I've enabled it since I'd like to have a Windows OS and Debian on the RAID5 array. When I boot into the installer (dmraid=true) and when it goes to the ...

  1. AMD64 Lenny install with dmraid (RAID5) fails

    I have a M2N-SLI mainboard with the NVidia BIOS RAID.

    I've enabled it since I'd like to have a Windows OS and Debian on the
    RAID5 array.

    When I boot into the installer (dmraid=true) and when it goes to the
    Partitioning section it does not list any of the drives nor the array
    as a whole.

    I drop into a shell on the install and dmraid -r lists the drives.

    dmraid -s lists the set but when I try dmraid -ay -i I get "ERROR:
    device-mapper target type "raid45" not in kernel.

    I've used this ISO:
    http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/le...64-netinst.iso

    Should I try anything else? What other data is required to help
    diagnose the issue? Should I try the daily snapshot?

  2. Re: AMD64 Lenny install with dmraid (RAID5) fails

    On Wednesday 29 October 2008, Mark Bishop wrote:
    > When I boot into the installer (dmraid=true) and when it goes to the
    > Partitioning section it does not list any of the drives nor the array
    > as a whole.

    Can you try the following:
    - boot the installer with 'priority=medium'
    - just _before_ the "disk detection" stage, switch to VT2 and start the
    debug shell
    - give the commands 'modprobe md-mod' and 'modprobe raid456'
    - switch back to the installer
    - continue the installation

    Cheers,
    FJP

  3. Re: AMD64 Lenny install with dmraid (RAID5) fails

    Hi Mark,

    Mark Bishop ha scritto:
    > dmraid -s lists the set but when I try dmraid -ay -i I get "ERROR:
    > device-mapper target type "raid45" not in kernel.

    Unfortunately this is a known bug [0], and a module will have to e included in
    the Debian kernel [1] to fix this properly.
    At this moment if you want install debian on a [fake]raid 5 array you need to
    build a custom patched [3] kernel.

    [0]http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=411172
    [1]http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=496893
    [3]http://people.redhat.com/heinzm/sw/dm/dm-raid45/

    Giuseppe.

  4. Re: AMD64 Lenny install with dmraid (RAID5) fails

    Thank you for your response.

    I don't mind doing the the custom patched kernel[3], but is it
    possible to use the Debian installer (Lenny .iso) once I do build a
    patched kernel?

    Quoting Giuseppe Iuculano :

    > Hi Mark,
    >
    > Mark Bishop ha scritto:
    >> dmraid -s lists the set but when I try dmraid -ay -i I get "ERROR:
    >> device-mapper target type "raid45" not in kernel.

    > Unfortunately this is a known bug [0], and a module will have to e
    > included in
    > the Debian kernel [1] to fix this properly.
    > At this moment if you want install debian on a [fake]raid 5 array you need to
    > build a custom patched [3] kernel.
    >
    > [0]http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=411172
    > [1]http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=496893
    > [3]http://people.redhat.com/heinzm/sw/dm/dm-raid45/
    >
    > Giuseppe.

  5. Re: AMD64 Lenny install with dmraid (RAID5) fails

    Mark Bishop ha scritto:

    > Thank you for your response.
    >
    > I don't mind doing the the custom patched kernel[3], but is it possible
    > to use the Debian installer (Lenny .iso) once I do build a patched kernel?

    You also have to build a debian image with a custom kernel:
    http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstall...y/CustomKernel

    Giuseppe.

  6. Re: AMD64 Lenny install with dmraid (RAID5) fails

    Quoting Giuseppe Iuculano :

    > Mark Bishop ha scritto:
    >>
    >> Thank you for your response.
    >>
    >> I don't mind doing the the custom patched kernel[3], but is it possible
    >> to use the Debian installer (Lenny .iso) once I do build a patched kernel?

    > You also have to build a debian image with a custom kernel:
    > http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstall...y/CustomKernel
    >

    > Giuseppe.

    Thank you again for the link. It is most helpful. One question
    though. Where can I get the .config for the current kernel build in
    the Lenny install .iso? I'd like to just re-use that instead of
    trying to roll my own. It works very well for me.

  7. Re: AMD64 Lenny install with dmraid (RAID5) fails

    On Wednesday 29 October 2008, Mark Bishop wrote:
    > Thank you again for the link. It is most helpful. One question
    > though. Where can I get the .config for the current kernel build in
    > the Lenny install .iso? I'd like to just re-use that instead of
    > trying to roll my own. It works very well for me.

    It's the same config as the one included in the standard kernel package
    (for i386 the 486 flavor).