wireless on an old Thinkpad 600 - Debian

This is a discussion on wireless on an old Thinkpad 600 - Debian ; Hi to everyone ! I would like to install wireless facilities on my old Thinkpad. It has a 300 Mhz processor, 128 MB of RAM, and 4.1 GB of space on hard disk. It used to run on RedHat 7.2, ...

  1. wireless on an old Thinkpad 600

    Hi to everyone !

    I would like to install wireless facilities on my old Thinkpad. It has a
    300 Mhz processor, 128 MB of RAM, and 4.1 GB of space on hard disk. It
    used to run on RedHat 7.2, which stayed there for about six years without
    any problem. Since I have been unable to get wireless working on it using
    pcmcia IBM 'EtherJet' card and a router in client mode 'FON2200' (the so
    called Fonera), I installed Debian Sarge instead of RedHat 7.2.

    This Debian system still did not acknowledge the EtherJet card, but it
    accepted an Ethernet pcmcia 'D-Link 660' card, and gave
    me a good fast 1 MB DSL connexion. Now, my purpose is to have a wireless
    connexion to my DSL
    modem/router (as well as connexions to hotels wireless facilities etc..).
    I thought that I could achieve this with the router Fonera, but, even
    though I have tested this with Microsoft Windows 98, I can't get it
    working on Linux.

    My first question concerns the cable connexion between the router Fonera
    and my pcmcia Ethernet cards. My first Ethernet card, the IBM 'EtherJet'
    gets connected with four plugs : five pins, six pins, then a sort of a
    hook in the center, then again six pins, then five pins. It seems rather
    weird as a plugging system. This, as I said, goes into the pcmcia
    EtherJet card ; in the other end of the cable there is something that
    looks like a standard network plug ; it is supposed to get plugged into
    the router Fonera. This EtherJet card, with this special cable does
    provide a connexion with the router under Microsoft Windows. But, as I
    said before, this EtherJet card is not being reckognized on my Debian
    system (or I have not been able to get it to work on it). On the contrary,
    the D-Link Ethernet card is being reckognized under Debian... but it does
    not provide the same plugging system as the other card... Instead of that
    weird 4 plugs system, it takes only one central plug with I can't count
    how many pins, which central plug is connected to a converting cord which
    other end has a female outlet in which any network cable can be inserted.
    This system does work for Ethernet either on MS Windows or on Linux, but I
    have not been able to get it to connect to the router Fonera in either
    system. I mean : the plugging is feasable as far as plugs and converters
    are concerned, but, once done, the Fonera does not respond to calls to its
    addresses 169.254.255.1 and 192.168.1.1, while it does with the other
    plugging system, at least under Windows. Is this normal, or have I missed
    something ? In any case, how can I solve this problem ? which Ethernet
    pcmcia card will have the same plugging system as the EtherJet card as
    well as being workable under Linux ? From the above report of trials, I
    am unable to know whether the fact that I cannot run this system under
    Linux is due to this system or to the connection mode...

    Thanks in advance for any useful tips or information.

  2. Re: wireless on an old Thinkpad 600

    Hi Bernard,

    On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 00:44:04 +0100
    Bernard wrote:

    > This Debian system still did not acknowledge the EtherJet card, but it
    > accepted an Ethernet pcmcia 'D-Link 660' card, and gave
    > me a good fast 1 MB DSL connexion. Now, my purpose is to have a

    Having seen it work in one environment, you now know the Ethernet pcmcia
    'D-Link 660' card works with Debian.

    > wireless connexion to my DSL
    > modem/router (as well as connexions to hotels wireless facilities
    > etc..). I thought that I could achieve this with the router Fonera,
    > but, even though I have tested this with Microsoft Windows 98, I
    > can't get it working on Linux.

    If you saw a particular wireless card connect successfully to a wireless
    network using Microsoft Windows 98, you now know that that wireless
    card has working hardware. There is no guarantee, however, that Debian
    has a software driver that will talk to the card. What I do personally,
    when I need a wireless card, is I go to the local second-hand computer
    gear market with my laptop and physically test *any* PCMCIA card
    (wireless or otherwise) to verify it works with Debian before I buy it.
    Depending on where you live, that may or may not be easy. This is the
    list of wireless cards I have right now:
    http://blog.langex.net/index.cgi/xHW...essCards/index

    > My first question concerns the cable connexion between the router
    > Fonera and my pcmcia Ethernet cards. My first Ethernet card, the IBM

    Do not worry (much) about the cable that comes with a particular
    Ethernet card. If the plug fits in the socket, and you can make the
    card work in any environment using any OS, you know the card and the
    cable are good. Then if you trouble in a different environment, the
    problem probably lies with either the network configuration of your OS
    or the router you are trying to connect to.

    > converters are concerned, but, once done, the Fonera does not respond
    > to calls to its addresses 169.254.255.1 and 192.168.1.1, while it
    > does with the other plugging system, at least under Windows. Is this
    > normal, or have I missed something ? In any case, how can I solve

    If you successfully connected to the Fonera with this same card using a
    Windows system, then there is no problem with card or Fonera.
    Networking is not properly configured on your Debian system.

    > this problem ? which Ethernet pcmcia card will have the same
    > plugging system as the EtherJet card as well as being workable under
    > Linux ? From the above report of trials, I am unable to know whether
    > the fact that I cannot run this system under Linux is due to this
    > system or to the connection mode...

    Again, do not worry about what the cable looks like, as long as you know
    the cable works. I think this is the chapter of the manual that you are
    looking for:
    http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/re...tml#s-net-high
    I don't know anything about Fonera's, but most routers by default run
    DHCP networks, so you *probably* need to to configure your ethernet
    interface for DHCP, ie. if your card is eth0, make
    sure /etc/network/interfaces contains this line:

    iface eth0 inet dhcp

    then as root in a terminal, execute these two commands:

    ifdown eth0
    ifup eth0

    If it works, you will see an IP address assigned in your terminal.

    Clayton

  3. Re: wireless on an old Thinkpad 600

    Hello,

    On Wed, 2008-10-29 at 00:44 +0100, Bernard wrote:

    > I would like to install wireless facilities on my old Thinkpad. It has
    > a 300 Mhz processor, 128 MB of RAM, and 4.1 GB of space on hard disk.
    > It used to run on RedHat 7.2, which stayed there for about six years
    > without any problem. Since I have been unable to get wireless working
    > on it using pcmcia IBM 'EtherJet' card and a router in client mode
    > 'FON2200' (the so called Fonera), I installed Debian Sarge instead of
    > RedHat 7.2.

    Keep in mind that Debian Sarge was discontinued since March 2008 [1].
    >From your point of view, this mainly means that it has no security

    update.
    Debian Sarge[2a], Etch[2b] and Lenny[2c] seems to have the same RAM
    requirements. You might want to install XFCE desktop rather that the
    default desktop (gnome) as explained in [2c].

    Franklin

    [1] http://www.debian.org/News/2008/20080229
    [2a] http://www.debian.org/releases/sarge/i386/ch03s04.html
    [2b] http://www.debian.org/releases/etch/i386/ch03s04.html
    [2c] http://www.debian.org/releases/lenny/i386/ch03s04.html

  4. Re: wireless on an old Thinkpad 600

    On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 08:15:14 +0100
    Frank Lin PIAT wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > On Wed, 2008-10-29 at 00:44 +0100, Bernard wrote:
    > >
    > > router in client mode 'FON2200' (the so called Fonera), I installed
    > > Debian Sarge instead of RedHat 7.2.

    > Keep in mind that Debian Sarge was discontinued since March 2008 [1].
    > From your point of view, this mainly means that it has no security
    > update.
    > Debian Sarge[2a], Etch[2b] and Lenny[2c] seems to have the same RAM
    > requirements. You might want to install XFCE desktop rather that the
    > default desktop (gnome) as explained in [2c].

    All good advice, but.... to add some bad news, support for older
    hardware sometimes seems to be going more then it is coming lately. I
    also have a Thinkpad 600e, as well as, for the record, a Pentium III
    Thinkpad a21m. Both have the misfortune to have sound cards that the
    Debian project has declared "evil" and blacklisted, apparently because
    of non-open firmware issues. The snd_cs46xx driver has been booted out
    of the kernel [3a], and both of these machines are now without sound (I
    am guessing if I rolled my own kernel.org kernel, it would work, but I
    have not tried):

    Thinkpad 600e:
    00:06.0 Multimedia audio controller: Cirrus Logic CS 4610/11
    [CrystalClear SoundFusion Audio Accelerator] (rev 01)

    Thinkpad a21m
    00:05.0 Multimedia audio controller: Cirrus Logic CS 4614/22/24/30
    [CrystalClear SoundFusion Audio Accelerator] (rev 01)

    To add to the mayhem, I also have a Pentium III Thinkpad i1300, and the
    current Debian kernel linux-image-2.6.26-1-686 panics on boot, every
    time[3b]. Hopefully this will go away soon, meanwhile I use older
    kernels, but.... This same Thinkpad i1300 had Xorg stop working more
    then a year ago[3c]. I have not actually tried (it is currently doing
    duty as a server) but if I wanted it fully functional, I would probably
    have to downgrade to at least Etch.

    Perhaps this is not a trend and I am just extraordinarily unlucky....

    So I would also advise the original poster to upgrade to Lenny, just
    be aware that you may have to run an older kernel, or build your own
    kernel.org kernel, if you want the on-board sound card to work.
    Personally, I just use USB sound.

    Clayton

    [3a] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=462035
    [3b] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=501118
    [3c] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=428711

  5. Re: wireless on an old Thinkpad 600 - more specifically sound on 600E

    On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 09:29:08PM +0800, Clayton wrote:
    > On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 08:15:14 +0100
    > Frank Lin PIAT wrote:

    > All good advice, but.... to add some bad news, support for older
    > hardware sometimes seems to be going more then it is coming lately. I
    > also have a Thinkpad 600e, as well as, for the record, a Pentium III
    > Thinkpad a21m. Both have the misfortune to have sound cards that the
    > Debian project has declared "evil" and blacklisted, apparently because
    > of non-open firmware issues. The snd_cs46xx driver has been booted out

    I have a 600E and had no end of trouble with the sound card. I posted
    questions to this list a long time ago and the one suggestion that
    worked was to compile a kernel without the cs46xx driver.

    It appears that the kernel insisted on loading this in preference to
    other drivers and the sound hardware didn't work, even when I
    blacklisted it and forcefully inserted the proper one. I presume that
    by that time the resources had been marked as used, or initialized in
    some way that made them unusable.

    > of the kernel [3a], and both of these machines are now without sound (I
    > am guessing if I rolled my own kernel.org kernel, it would work, but I
    > have not tried):

    Since I had that issue, I compiled a debian kernel (2.6.18), the debian
    way with the debian tools, without the cs46xx driver, but with the cs4231
    driver. The sound card works just fine.

    > Thinkpad 600e:
    > 00:06.0 Multimedia audio controller: Cirrus Logic CS 4610/11
    > [CrystalClear SoundFusion Audio Accelerator] (rev 01)

    That's the exact one I have.

    > Thinkpad a21m
    > 00:05.0 Multimedia audio controller: Cirrus Logic CS 4614/22/24/30
    > [CrystalClear SoundFusion Audio Accelerator] (rev 01)

    I wouldn't be surprised if the same driver (cs4231) would work on this
    machine. Maybe at least a subset of features?

    > To add to the mayhem, I also have a Pentium III Thinkpad i1300, and the

    Can't offer any specific help about the other problems...

    A.

  6. Re: wireless on an old Thinkpad 600 - more specifically sound on 600E

    A. F. Cano wrote:
    > I have a 600E and had no end of trouble with the sound card. I posted
    > questions to this list a long time ago and the one suggestion that
    > worked was to compile a kernel without the cs46xx driver.
    >
    > It appears that the kernel insisted on loading this in preference to
    > other drivers and the sound hardware didn't work, even when I
    > blacklisted it and forcefully inserted the proper one. I presume that
    > by that time the resources had been marked as used, or initialized in
    > some way that made them unusable.

    One option that has worked for me in other similar but different
    situations is to move/remove the module from the filesystem. With it
    gone from the disk the kernel couldn't load it. That worked for me
    without needing to recompile the kernel without the module.

    Bob

  7. Re: wireless on an old Thinkpad 600 - more specifically sound on 600E

    On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 11:10 PM, Bob Proulx wrote:

    > One option that has worked for me in other similar but different
    > situations is to move/remove the module from the filesystem. With it
    > gone from the disk the kernel couldn't load it. That worked for me
    > without needing to recompile the kernel without the module.

    Why not put a blacklist entry in /etc/modprobe.d? Use as a model
    entries already there.

    --
    A. C. Censi
    accensi [em] gmail [ponto] com

  8. Re: wireless on an old Thinkpad 600 - more specifically sound on 600E

    A. C. Censi wrote:
    > Bob Proulx wrote:
    > > One option that has worked for me in other similar but different
    > > situations is to move/remove the module from the filesystem. With it
    > > gone from the disk the kernel couldn't load it. That worked for me
    > > without needing to recompile the kernel without the module.

    > Why not put a blacklist entry in /etc/modprobe.d? Use as a model
    > entries already there.

    The answer to this question was in the part I quoted from and was
    responding to:

    A. F. Cano wrote:
    > It appears that the kernel insisted on loading this in preference to
    > other drivers and the sound hardware didn't work, even when I
    > blacklisted it and forcefully inserted the proper one. I presume that
    > by that time the resources had been marked as used, or initialized in
    > some way that made them unusable.

    As you can see I was well aware of the module blacklist functionality.
    It was used but did not prevent the problem.

    I can only add to the fud here by saying I have seen similar problems
    in the past. Even though the module was blacklisted this didn't seem
    to be enough to avoid the problem. Only by making sure that it was
    not possible to load the module could I avoid the problem. It appears
    by A. F. Cano's posting that I was not the only one with that issue.

    I do not know because I was not able to debug this to root cause but I
    will guess that there were scripts where the loading of the module was
    hard coded. I will guess that these scripts did not consult the
    blacklist.

    Again I do not know if any of those problems historically seen are
    still active today. Time goes by, old bugs are fixed, new bugs are
    created, and the world doesn't stay the same. I am not currently
    having any problems of this type but have moved on to more mainstream
    hardware too.

    Bob

  9. Re: wireless on an old Thinkpad 600 - more specifically sound on 600E

    The problem with sound on 600E is I understand a Historical one. I
    owned the 600E for sometime and had faced this problem.
    I remember that the problem is the fact that though the 600E sound
    chip is of a particular make, it is detected as something else.

    I remember solving it by uninstalling discover and a combination of
    blacklisting and modprobing the right drivers(not sure though)
    Its been years since I parted with the 600E.

    thinkwiki describes this problem:

    http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Proble...n_ThinkPad_600

    And am sure there would a a lot and lot of google hits for the same,
    because like I mentioned it is a very well known problem.

    On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 9:52 PM, Bob Proulx wrote:
    > A. C. Censi wrote:
    >> Bob Proulx wrote:
    >> > One option that has worked for me in other similar but different
    >> > situations is to move/remove the module from the filesystem. With it
    >> > gone from the disk the kernel couldn't load it. That worked for me
    >> > without needing to recompile the kernel without the module.

    >> Why not put a blacklist entry in /etc/modprobe.d? Use as a model
    >> entries already there.

    > The answer to this question was in the part I quoted from and was
    > responding to:
    >
    > A. F. Cano wrote:
    >> It appears that the kernel insisted on loading this in preference to
    >> other drivers and the sound hardware didn't work, even when I
    >> blacklisted it and forcefully inserted the proper one. I presume that
    >> by that time the resources had been marked as used, or initialized in
    >> some way that made them unusable.

    > As you can see I was well aware of the module blacklist functionality.
    > It was used but did not prevent the problem.
    >
    > I can only add to the fud here by saying I have seen similar problems
    > in the past. Even though the module was blacklisted this didn't seem
    > to be enough to avoid the problem. Only by making sure that it was
    > not possible to load the module could I avoid the problem. It appears
    > by A. F. Cano's posting that I was not the only one with that issue.
    >
    > I do not know because I was not able to debug this to root cause but I
    > will guess that there were scripts where the loading of the module was
    > hard coded. I will guess that these scripts did not consult the
    > blacklist.
    >
    > Again I do not know if any of those problems historically seen are
    > still active today. Time goes by, old bugs are fixed, new bugs are
    > created, and the world doesn't stay the same. I am not currently
    > having any problems of this type but have moved on to more mainstream
    > hardware too.
    >
    > Bob

  10. Re: wireless on an old Thinkpad 600

    Hi Clayton, Hi to everyone,

    Le Wed, 29 Oct 2008 07:40:07 +0100, Clayton a écrit*:

    > Hi Bernard,
    >

    >> My first question concerns the cable connexion between the router
    >> Fonera and my pcmcia Ethernet cards. My first Ethernet card, the IBM

    > Do not worry (much) about the cable that comes with a particular
    > Ethernet card. If the plug fits in the socket, and you can make the
    > card work in any environment using any OS, you know the card and the
    > cable are good. Then if you trouble in a different environment, the
    > problem probably lies with either the network configuration of your OS
    > or the router you are trying to connect to.
    >

    > If you successfully connected to the Fonera with this same card using a
    > Windows system, then there is no problem with card or Fonera.
    > Networking is not properly configured on your Debian system.
    >
    >> this problem ? which Ethernet pcmcia card will have the same
    >> plugging system as the EtherJet card as well as being workable under
    >> Linux ? From the above report of trials, I am unable to know whether
    >> the fact that I cannot run this system under Linux is due to this
    >> system or to the connection mode...

    > Again, do not worry about what the cable looks like, as long as you know
    > the cable works. I think this is the chapter of the manual that you are
    > looking for:
    > http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/re...tml#s-net-high

    This is an interresting document for me. I read it and bookmarked it,
    since I am sure that I will soon get back to it. Still, at this stage, I
    can't figure how I am going to get on the way with this router
    "fonera". I got something new though. At first, I must point out that I
    have installed ETCH instead of the Sarge that I had. The problems that I
    had encountered with X environment have been mostly solved to a point that
    I now get a workable environment. On that ETCH system, when the router
    FONERA is cabled to the pcmcia D-Link Ethernet card, 'ifconfig' gives me
    this :

    #ifconfig
    eth0 Encap link:Ethernet HWaddr 00:80:.....
    UP BROADCAST RUNNING...
    etc..

    eth0:3 Encap link: Ethernet HWadr 00:80:..... (same address as above)
    inet adr:169.254.12.9 Broadcast:169.254.255.255 netmask:255.255.0.0
    UP BROADCASST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 ...
    Interruption: 3 Base address:0x300

    lo Encap link: Local loop
    inet adr:127.0.0.1
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING ...
    etc..

    eth0:3 ?? What on Earth is this ? I have never seen anything like
    this... this eth0:3 only appears after a few 2-3 minutes. The IP address
    that it bears (169.254.12.9) is of the same domain as that of the given
    address of the 'FONERA' (169.254.255.1)

    If the ifconfig test is being done
    right after boot, eth0:3 does not show. Furthermore, after another while
    (or after the call of another function, I can't remember for sure),
    iwconfig mentions, besides 'lo', 'eth0' and 'irda0', something else that
    is called 'sit0'.

    I have not so far been able to 'enter' this router using Firefox/Iceweasel
    by any of the addresses that worked under Microsoft Windows :
    169.254.255.1, and, since I switched it into "client" mode :
    192.168.1.1.

    So far, I really don't know what I should try next, and how am I going to
    use this router in client mode as a medium to get Wireless connexion to
    my DSL router and, from there, to the Internet.

    Thanks in advance for more hints.

    > I don't know anything about Fonera's, but most routers

    by default run
    > DHCP networks, so you *probably* need to to configure your ethernet
    > interface for DHCP, ie. if your card is eth0, make sure
    > /etc/network/interfaces contains this line:
    >
    > iface eth0 inet dhcp
    >
    > then as root in a terminal, execute these two commands:
    >
    > ifdown eth0
    > ifup eth0
    >
    > If it works, you will see an IP address assigned in your terminal.

    Yes, this works all right with my DSL box/router whenever the appropriate
    cable is there, as my /etc/network/interfaces file does contain 'iface
    eth0 inet dhcp', but I don't know how to get my other router 'FONERA' to
    work and wirelessly connect to said DSL/router.

    When the cable links the Fonera instead of the DSL box/router, the 'ifup
    eth0' command shows repeated attempts :

    DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 7
    DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 9
    DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 21
    DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 18
    No DHCPOFFERS received
    No working leases in persistent database - sleeping

  11. Re: wireless on an old Thinkpad 600

    On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 00:47:19 +0100
    Bernard wrote:

    > Hi Clayton, Hi to everyone,
    >
    > Le Wed, 29 Oct 2008 07:40:07 +0100, Clayton a écrit*:
    >
    > router "fonera". I got something new though. At first, I must point
    > out that I have installed ETCH instead of the Sarge that I had. The
    > problems that I had encountered with X environment have been mostly
    > solved to a point that I now get a workable environment. On that ETCH
    > system, when the router FONERA is cabled to the pcmcia D-Link
    > Ethernet card, 'ifconfig' gives me this :
    >
    > #ifconfig
    > eth0 Encap link:Ethernet HWaddr 00:80:.....
    > UP BROADCAST RUNNING...
    > etc..
    >
    > eth0:3 Encap link: Ethernet HWadr 00:80:..... (same address as
    > above) inet adr:169.254.12.9 Broadcast:169.254.255.255
    > netmask:255.255.0.0 UP BROADCASST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 ...
    > Interruption: 3 Base address:0x300
    >
    > lo Encap link: Local loop
    > inet adr:127.0.0.1
    > UP LOOPBACK RUNNING ...
    > etc..
    >
    > eth0:3 ?? What on Earth is this ? I have never seen anything like
    > this... this eth0:3 only appears after a few 2-3 minutes. The IP
    > address that it bears (169.254.12.9) is of the same domain as that of
    > the given address of the 'FONERA' (169.254.255.1)

    I am far from an expert on networking, but your "eth0:3" looks like a
    virtual interface: http://handsonhowto.com/virt.html

    This should not appear spontaneously, perhaps grep /etc for "eth0:3"
    and see what might be causing this? Maybe try
    deleting /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules and reboot? (I am
    grasping at straws, but I am recalling having a major headache
    with that persistent-net.rules during a past upgrade.....)

    > If the ifconfig test is being done
    > right after boot, eth0:3 does not show. Furthermore, after another
    > while (or after the call of another function, I can't remember for
    > sure), iwconfig mentions, besides 'lo', 'eth0' and 'irda0', something
    > else that is called 'sit0'.
    >
    > I have not so far been able to 'enter' this router using
    > Firefox/Iceweasel by any of the addresses that worked under Microsoft
    > Windows : 169.254.255.1, and, since I switched it into "client" mode :
    > 192.168.1.1.
    >
    > So far, I really don't know what I should try next, and how am I
    > going to use this router in client mode as a medium to get Wireless
    > connexion to my DSL router and, from there, to the Internet.

    I think you need to figure out where it is coming from / get rid of that
    eth0:3 thing before worrying about networking. This is totally
    non-standard behavior, and I too have never seen that happen before....

    > > I don't know anything about Fonera's, but most routers

    > by default run
    > > DHCP networks, so you *probably* need to to configure your ethernet
    > > interface for DHCP, ie. if your card is eth0, make sure
    > > /etc/network/interfaces contains this line:
    > >
    > > iface eth0 inet dhcp
    > >
    > > then as root in a terminal, execute these two commands:
    > >
    > > ifdown eth0
    > > ifup eth0
    > >
    > > If it works, you will see an IP address assigned in your terminal.

    > Yes, this works all right with my DSL box/router whenever the
    > appropriate cable is there, as my /etc/network/interfaces file does
    > contain 'iface eth0 inet dhcp', but I don't know how to get my other
    > router 'FONERA' to work and wirelessly connect to said DSL/router.
    >
    > When the cable links the Fonera instead of the DSL box/router, the
    > 'ifup eth0' command shows repeated attempts :
    >
    > DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 7
    > DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 9
    > DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 21
    > DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 18
    > No DHCPOFFERS received
    > No working leases in persistent database - sleeping

    ifconfig lists all active ("up") network interfaces.
    "ifconfig -a" lists all installed network interfaces, whether they are
    active or not.

    The one you want to use (eth0, eth1, eth2, ...., wlan0, maybe even
    eth0:3) should be represented in the /etc/network/interfaces file per
    above. As long as you are doing ifup on the right one, it should work
    if there is nothing wrong with your router (unlikely since Windows
    works?) or there is something more subtle wrong on your end. Try ifup
    on eth0:3. Try to get rid of eth0:3 because it is muddying the water.

    Clayton

  12. Re: wireless on an old Thinkpad 600

    Le Fri, 31 Oct 2008 06:00:12 +0100, Clayton a écrit:

    > On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 00:47:19 +0100
    > Bernard wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Clayton, Hi to everyone,
    >>
    >> Le Wed, 29 Oct 2008 07:40:07 +0100, Clayton a écritÂ*:
    >>

    > This should not appear spontaneously, perhaps grep /etc for "eth0:3"
    > and see what might be causing this? Maybe try
    > deleting /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules and reboot? (I am
    > grasping at straws, but I am recalling having a major headache
    > with that persistent-net.rules during a past upgrade.....)

    I have searched and not found any track of "eth0:3". There may be a
    misunderstanding about what it really means. Now that I have installed PAN
    on that Thinkpad 600, it becomes feasable to use copy/paste, so, here is
    what I get, WHILE MY PCMCIA ETHERNET CARD IS CABLED TO MY DSL BOX/ROUTER :

    begin copy/paste *******************
    localhost:/home/bd# ifconfig
    eth0 Lien encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:80:C8:B9:FD:C5
    inet adr:192.168.1.11 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Masque:255.255.255.0
    adr inet6: fe80::280:c8ff:feb9:fdc5/64 Scope:Lien
    collisions:0 lg file transmission:1000
    RX bytes:19481548 (18.5 MiB) TX bytes:778010 (759.7 KiB)
    Interruption:3 Adresse de base:0x300

    lo Lien encap:Boucle locale
    inet adr:127.0.0.1 Masque:255.0.0.0
    adr inet6: ::1/128 Scope:Hôte
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    collisions:0 lg file transmission:0
    RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

    localhost:/home/bd# iwconfig

    lo no wireless extensions.

    irda0 no wireless extensions.

    eth0 no wireless extensions.

    sit0 no wireless extensions.

    end copy/paste ******************************

    Funny enough this 'sit0'. I don't now what it is ; it appears sometimes, I
    thought it did happen only when the FONERA router was cabled in, but this
    is not the case for now.

    now, here were the contents of /etc/network/interfaces :

    begin copy/paste ************

    This file describes the network interfaces available on your system

    # The loopback network interface
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

    # The primary network interface
    allow-hotplug eth0
    iface eth0 inet dhcp

    localhost:/home/bd#

    end copy/paste ********************

    Now I just carried a new test. I unplugged the cable coming from the DSL
    box/router that provides my internet connexion ; instead I plugged the
    cable coming from the FONERA/routeur, that is, I plugged it onto the
    pcmcia ethernet card slot. I changed the /etc/network/interfaces file,
    which I made as follows :

    # The loopback network interface
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

    # The primary network interface
    allow-hotplug eth0
    iface eth0 inet static
    address 169.254.255.1
    netmask 255.255.0.0
    gateway 169.254.255.1

    end copy/paste ******************

    This being done, I launched a network restart:

    /etc/init.d/networking restart :

    localhost:/etc/network# /etc/init.d/networking restart
    Reconfiguring network interfaces...done.

    OK

    Now : ifup eth0. No reply, just the shell back, which means 'OK'

    Why 'ifup', not 'ifconfig' ? I have read a bit more of the document you
    pointed to me yesterday. Amongst a lot of other things, it is being said
    that it is unwise to play both with 'low level network configuration
    tools' and 'high level tools', since several bugs may show, for instance
    if you have configured once with ifconfig and then change something else
    using ifup ou ifdown, the proper config files may have not been updated
    allright and your system may show something that is gone or vice versa.
    The 'eth0:3' may be due to such kind of messing around. So, from now on, I
    still use 'ifconfig' with no argument so as to see what it says, but for
    anything else I use 'ifupdown'. So, here is what I get with 'ifconfig'
    alone :

    start copy/paste ***************

    localhost:/etc/network# ifconfig
    eth0 Lien encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:80:C8:B9:FD:C5
    inet adr:169.254.255.1 Bcast:169.254.255.255 Masque:255.255.0.0
    adr inet6: fe80::280:c8ff:feb9:fdc5/64 Scope:Lien

    localhost:/etc/network# iwconfig
    lo no wireless extensions.

    irda0 no wireless extensions.

    eth0 no wireless extensions.

    sit0 no wireless extensions.

    localhost:/etc/network# ifconfig -a
    eth0 Lien encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:80:C8:B9:FD:C5
    inet adr:169.254.255.1 Bcast:169.254.255.255 Masque:255.255.0.0
    adr inet6: fe80::280:c8ff:feb9:fdc5/64 Scope:Lien
    collisions:0 lg file transmission:1000
    RX bytes:19491975 (18.5 MiB) TX bytes:793654 (775.0 KiB)
    Interruption:3 Adresse de base:0x300

    irda0 Lien encap:IrLAP HWaddr 00:00:00:00
    NOARP MTU:2048 Metric:1
    collisions:0 lg file transmission:8
    RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

    lo Lien encap:Boucle locale
    inet adr:127.0.0.1 Masque:255.0.0.0
    adr inet6: ::1/128 Scope:Hôte
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    collisions:0 lg file transmission:0
    RX bytes:3412 (3.3 KiB) TX bytes:3412 (3.3 KiB)

    sit0 Lien encap:IPv6-dans-IPv4
    NOARP MTU:1480 Metric:1
    collisions:0 lg file transmission:0
    RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

    localhost:/etc/network#

    end copy/paste *******************

    Now, in this state, that is, with eth0 configured with the FONERA address,
    what should I do so as to go further, I mean, to make sure that this
    address - that pings all-right - really comes from the FONERA, and how can
    I get that FONERA to wireless connect to my DSL box/router and bring an
    internet connexion up ?

  13. Re: wireless on an old Thinkpad 600

    From: bernard
    Subject: Re: wireless on an old Thinkpad 600