HP/Compaq NX5000 laptop Broadcom network card problem - Debian

This is a discussion on HP/Compaq NX5000 laptop Broadcom network card problem - Debian ; Hello. I have an HP/Compaq NX5000 laptop, that I dual boot into Windows XP Pro and Debian 4.0. The network access is okay with Windows XP, but works only intermittently with Debian. I am wondering whether something is wrong with ...

  1. HP/Compaq NX5000 laptop Broadcom network card problem

    Hello.

    I have an HP/Compaq NX5000 laptop, that I dual boot into Windows XP Pro and
    Debian 4.0.

    The network access is okay with Windows XP, but works only intermittently with
    Debian.

    I am wondering whether something is wrong with the network card driver in
    Debian 4.0.

    I do not know how to find what is the network card driver (the name of the
    driver software) that is being used by Debian 4.0.

    The PCI listing in the KDE Info Center, shows the Ethernet card as
    "Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX (rev 02) "
    and with
    "Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 64, IRQ 209".

    In the Interrupts table in the KDE Info Center, the line shows
    "209 47745 IO-APIC-level eth1"

    The Network Interfaces table in the KDE Info Center, shows three lines
    of text; one for each of eth0, eth1, and lo.

    Please advise how I can resolve the problem between Debian 4.0 and the network
    card, as, that the network card seems to work without any problems with Windows
    XP, appears to show that the network card is not faulty.

    After some searching on the Internet, I found a web page at
    http://downgra.de/x20/ , which showed that that author apparently got the NIC
    operational, by using the manufacturer's driver.

    So, after a bit if searching, I found a web page apparently for the NIC driver,
    at http://www.broadcom.com/support/ethernet_nic/4401.php , from which I
    downloaded the Linux(i386) driver, which I think is a g.zip file.

    And, in reading the README.TXT file, the driver is apparently included with
    kernel 2.6.x, and so it is apparently already included in the installed Linux
    and apparently, simply does not work very well.

    Thank you in anticipation.

    --
    Bret Busby
    Armadale

    you'll know what the answer means."
    - Deep Thought,
    Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
    "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
    A Trilogy In Four Parts",
    written by Douglas Adams,
    published by Pan Books, 1992
    .................................................. ...

  2. Re: HP/Compaq NX5000 laptop Broadcom network card problem

    On Sun, Oct 26, 2008 at 00:03:07 +0800, Bret Busby wrote:

    > Hello.
    >
    > I have an HP/Compaq NX5000 laptop, that I dual boot into Windows XP Pro
    > and Debian 4.0.
    >
    > The network access is okay with Windows XP, but works only intermittently
    > with Debian.
    >
    > I am wondering whether something is wrong with the network card driver in
    > Debian 4.0.

    Do you use the 2.6.18 kernel? (If you are not sure, look at the output
    that you get when you run "uname -a" in a terminal.)

    > I do not know how to find what is the network card driver (the name of
    > the driver software) that is being used by Debian 4.0.

    Open a konsole window (or any other X terminal) and paste this command
    into it:

    lspci -knn | perl -n0e 'split/(?<=\n)(?=[0-9])/;foreach(@_){if(/Ether/){print$_}}'

    Hit ENTER and post the output here. If you have trouble with this long
    command, just use the first part ("lspci -knn") and cut out the relevant
    part of the output yourself. (The lspci command list all your PCI
    devices; we only need the lines related to network cards.)

    > The PCI listing in the KDE Info Center, shows the Ethernet card as
    > "Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX (rev 02) "
    > and with
    > "Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 64, IRQ 209".

    AFAIK, this device is handled by the b44 driver. As a first diagnostic
    tool, I would run

    dmesg | grep b44

    right after boot. Does that turn up anything?

    > In the Interrupts table in the KDE Info Center, the line shows
    > "209 47745 IO-APIC-level eth1"
    >
    > The Network Interfaces table in the KDE Info Center, shows three lines
    > of text; one for each of eth0, eth1, and lo.

    Post the output of the

    /sbin/ifconfig

    command.

    > Please advise how I can resolve the problem between Debian 4.0 and the
    > network card, as, that the network card seems to work without any
    > problems with Windows XP, appears to show that the network card is not
    > faulty.

    Maybe you just need a newer kernel.

    Florian |

  3. Re: HP/Compaq NX5000 laptop Broadcom network card problem

    On Sat, Oct 25, 2008 at 09:01:50PM +0200, Florian Kulzer wrote:

    > dmesg | grep b44
    >
    > right after boot. Does that turn up anything?

    should see something, since it works intermittently. Though I'd rather use

    % dmesg | egrep 'eth|b44|ndis'

    so we see what ethx you have there, if b44 module tells something, and
    if ndiswrapper or something else is grabbing the interface.

    Try stressing the interface while looking at syslog, see if you get any msg
    when the iface locks up, by eg ping flood (other local LAN node only!):

    % ping -f

    finally, install net-tools and try mii-tool / mii-diag for a low-level
    diagnotics (iirc B44 has MII).

    > Maybe you just need a newer kernel.

    yep, do this 1st, before banging your head against the wall any further

    --
    paolo

  4. Re: HP/Compaq NX5000 laptop Broadcom network card problem

    On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 21:01:50 +0200
    Florian Kulzer wrote:

    > On Sun, Oct 26, 2008 at 00:03:07 +0800, Bret Busby wrote:

    > > The PCI listing in the KDE Info Center, shows the Ethernet card as
    > > "Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX (rev 02) "
    > > and with
    > > "Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 64, IRQ 209".

    > AFAIK, this device is handled by the b44 driver. As a first diagnostic
    > tool, I would run
    >
    > dmesg | grep b44
    >
    > right after boot. Does that turn up anything?

    I have this card, and it has always worked fine out of the box for me
    with b44:

    Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX (rev 02)
    Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Device 0090
    Memory at d0000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=8K]
    Capabilities:
    Kernel driver in use: b44
    Kernel modules: b44

    Celejar

  5. Re: HP/Compaq NX5000 laptop Broadcom network card problem

    Hello Bret!

    Bret Busby schrieb:
    > I have an HP/Compaq NX5000 laptop, that I dual boot into Windows XP
    > Pro and Debian 4.0.
    >
    > The network access is okay with Windows XP, but works only
    > intermittently with Debian.
    >
    > "Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX (rev
    > 02) "

    Got exactly the same thing in my laptop and it works quite fine (with
    sarge/etch/lenny/sid), the module is b44.

    There is only a conflict of some modules, if I want to have wireless
    also (only possible with ndiswrapper), which I did not sort out properly
    yet.
    They have to be loaded in the right order to work properly.

    This is what I found out so far:
    b43 is loaded automatically (not suitable for the wireless) instead of
    ndiswrapper and prevents the wireless card from working, because there
    is conflict with ssb.
    To get both network cards working I did the following:
    modprobe -v -r ndiswrapper
    modprobe -v -r b44
    modprobe -v -r b43
    modprobe -v -r ssb
    modprobe -v ndiswrapper
    modprobe -v b44

    You may be interested in the wireless WPA2 solution also:
    http://datenroulette.de/blog/index.php?blog=4&cat=20
    http://datenroulette.de/blog/index.p...&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

    I hope that can help you a bit,

    --