What to download for new installation of Debian - Debian

This is a discussion on What to download for new installation of Debian - Debian ; This may very well turn out to be a double post, excuse me. I'm new to linux!! I want to download a version of debian to install on a computer. There appear to be 2 choices: On www.debian.org/distrib I'm offered ...

  1. What to download for new installation of Debian

    This may very well turn out to be a double post, excuse me.

    I'm new to linux!! I want to download a version of debian to install on a
    computer. There appear to be 2 choices:
    On www.debian.org/distrib I'm offered

    Download a small image file, record it to a CD/DVD/USB disk/floppy, and
    install using the Internet.

    or

    The CD/DVD images can be downloaded using HTTP/FTP, BitTorrent, or Jigdo.

    The large CD and DVD images contain more packages, making it easier to
    install machines without an Internet connection. However, if you get a whole
    set of CDs or DVDs, you will get a lot of packages that you won't actually
    use.

    The latter is gigantic, 3 DVD's + a update. What do I get with each choice?
    It is not at all clear to me which way to go.

    TIA

    Larry

  2. Re: What to download for new installation of Debian

    LarryD made a definite or systematic statement of:
    > This may very well turn out to be a double post, excuse me.
    >

    > I'm new to linux!! I want to download a version of debian to install on a
    > computer. There appear to be 2 choices:
    > On www.debian.org/distrib I'm offered
    >
    > Download a small image file, record it to a CD/DVD/USB disk/floppy, and
    > install using the Internet.
    >
    > or
    >
    > The CD/DVD images can be downloaded using HTTP/FTP, BitTorrent, or Jigdo.
    >
    > The large CD and DVD images contain more packages, making it easier to
    > install machines without an Internet connection. However, if you get a whole
    > set of CDs or DVDs, you will get a lot of packages that you won't actually
    > use.
    >

    > The latter is gigantic, 3 DVD's + a update. What do I get with each choice?
    > It is not at all clear to me which way to go.

    Larry, what you're asking for is opinion. Because I have cable I prefer
    a net install. That's the small ISO file you burn to disk (not save!),
    boot it and make your choices; it gets the packages and instals the
    system. Reason for liking a net install is the packages are fresher.
    Examples; if you put on Etch, via net install, you'll have the most
    recent patches, etc.; do the CD/DVD, you'll need an update to get there.
    Same goes for the not quite ready Lenny - I use it.

    HTH,
    --
    sk8r-365
    "Our country is now taking so steady a course as to show by what road it

  3. Re: What to download for new installation of Debian

    After takin' a swig o' grog, LarryD belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > This may very well turn out to be a double post, excuse me.
    >
    > I'm new to linux!! I want to download a version of debian to install on a
    > computer. There appear to be 2 choices:
    > On www.debian.org/distrib I'm offered
    >
    > Download a small image file, record it to a CD/DVD/USB disk/floppy, and
    > install using the Internet.
    >
    > or
    >
    > The CD/DVD images can be downloaded using HTTP/FTP, BitTorrent, or Jigdo.
    >
    > The large CD and DVD images contain more packages, making it easier to
    > install machines without an Internet connection. However, if you get a whole
    > set of CDs or DVDs, you will get a lot of packages that you won't actually
    > use.
    >
    > The latter is gigantic, 3 DVD's + a update. What do I get with each choice?
    > It is not at all clear to me which way to go.

    Although I used to use jigdo to build DVDs, I opt for the CD netinstall
    these days. It installs the basics, reboots, then you can run Synaptic
    (I don't know what it is called in the deskto menu, though).

    I think you can also just get the first DVD or CD and get much of what
    you need with that (obviously you get a lot more with the DVD).

    In all cases, you can still get everything you want later if you connect to
    the internet.

    Good luck!

    --
    (defun AD (want-job challenging boston-area)
    (cond

  4. Re: What to download for new installation of Debian

    "sk8r-365" wrote in message
    news:urSdnTvNFc35S2LVnZ2dnUVZ_tudnZ2d@bresnan.com. ..
    > LarryD made a definite or systematic statement of:
    >> This may very well turn out to be a double post, excuse me.
    >>

    >> I'm new to linux!! I want to download a version of debian to install on
    >> computer. There appear to be 2 choices:
    >> On www.debian.org/distrib I'm offered
    >>
    >> Download a small image file, record it to a CD/DVD/USB disk/floppy, and
    >> install using the Internet.
    >>
    >> or
    >>
    >> The CD/DVD images can be downloaded using HTTP/FTP, BitTorrent, or Jigdo.
    >>
    >> The large CD and DVD images contain more packages, making it easier to
    >> install machines without an Internet connection. However, if you get a
    >> whole
    >> set of CDs or DVDs, you will get a lot of packages that you won't
    >> actually
    >> use.
    >>

    >> The latter is gigantic, 3 DVD's + a update. What do I get with each
    >> choice?
    >> It is not at all clear to me which way to go.

    > Larry, what you're asking for is opinion. Because I have cable I prefer
    > a net install. That's the small ISO file you burn to disk (not save!),
    > boot it and make your choices; it gets the packages and instals the
    > system. Reason for liking a net install is the packages are fresher.
    > Examples; if you put on Etch, via net install, you'll have the most
    > recent patches, etc.; do the CD/DVD, you'll need an update to get there.
    > Same goes for the not quite ready Lenny - I use it.
    >
    > HTH,
    > --
    > sk8r-365
    > "Our country is now taking so steady a course as to show by what road it
    > will pass to destruction, to wit: by consolidation of power first, and
    > then corruption, its necessary consequence." - Thomas Jefferson

    Thanks, I just what was not clear to me what was behind each door.
    Larry

  5. Re: What to download for new installation of Debian

    On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 17:41:55 -0700, LarryD wrote:

    > I want to download a version of debian to install on a computer. There
    > appear to be 2 choices: On www.debian.org/distrib I'm offered

    There are more than that.

    > Download a small image file, record it to a CD/DVD/USB disk/floppy, and
    > install using the Internet.

    You said that you are new to Linux. In that case you should skip the net
    install until you have some experience. It requires a little bit more
    skill and awareness of how Linux things work.

    > The CD/DVD images can be downloaded using HTTP/FTP, BitTorrent, or
    > Jigdo.

    Out of all the several million Debian install images, you only need the
    first CD of the set for your architecture to install a working desktop
    system. And it's the simplest way to install.

  6. Re: What to download for new installation of Debian

    LarryD wrote:
    > This may very well turn out to be a double post, excuse me.
    >

    > I'm new to linux!! I want to download a version of debian to install on a
    > computer. There appear to be 2 choices:
    > On www.debian.org/distrib I'm offered
    >
    > Download a small image file, record it to a CD/DVD/USB disk/floppy, and
    > install using the Internet.
    >
    > or
    >
    > The CD/DVD images can be downloaded using HTTP/FTP, BitTorrent, or Jigdo.
    >
    > The large CD and DVD images contain more packages, making it easier to
    > install machines without an Internet connection. However, if you get a whole
    > set of CDs or DVDs, you will get a lot of packages that you won't actually
    > use.
    >

    > The latter is gigantic, 3 DVD's + a update. What do I get with each choice?
    > It is not at all clear to me which way to go.
    >

    > TIA
    >
    > Larry

    If you will be installing once or twice on only one computer and you
    have a fast internet connection then netinstall is the way to go; if you
    plan to install multiples machines getting at least the 1st CD will
    reduce the amount of data you have to download.

    The CDs are configured with the most used packages on CD 1 then 2 and so
    on; I install with CD 1 which includes most of the packages I need, the
    ones that have been updated since I created my CD are then downloaded
    and installed near the end of the install. Anything else is downloaded
    as required.

    Claude

  7. Re: What to download for new installation of Debian

    LarryD wrote:
    > This may very well turn out to be a double post, excuse me.

    > I'm new to linux!! I want to download a version of debian to install on a
    > computer.

    > The latter is gigantic, 3 DVD's + a update. What do I get with each choice?
    > It is not at all clear to me which way to go.

    Do you know what Desktop you want, Gnome, KDE or?
    --
    Jimmy Johnson

    Debian GNU/Linux Lenny
    Registered Linux User #380263

  8. Re: What to download for new installation of Debian

    G W North" wrote
    > LarryD wrote:
    >> This may very well turn out to be a double post, excuse me.
    >>

    >> I'm new to linux!! I want to download a version of debian to install on
    >> computer. There appear to be 2 choices:
    >> On www.debian.org/distrib I'm offered
    >>
    >> Download a small image file, record it to a CD/DVD/USB disk/floppy, and
    >> install using the Internet.
    >>
    >> or
    >>
    >> The CD/DVD images can be downloaded using HTTP/FTP, BitTorrent, or Jigdo.
    >>
    >> The large CD and DVD images contain more packages, making it easier to
    >> install machines without an Internet connection. However, if you get a
    >> whole
    >> set of CDs or DVDs, you will get a lot of packages that you won't
    >> actually
    >> use.
    >>

    >> The latter is gigantic, 3 DVD's + a update. What do I get with each
    >> choice?
    >> It is not at all clear to me which way to go.
    >>

    >> TIA
    >>
    >> Larry
    >>

    > If you will be installing once or twice on only one computer and you have
    > a fast internet connection then netinstall is the way to go; if you plan
    > to install multiples machines getting at least the 1st CD will reduce the
    > amount of data you have to download.

    If he's installing on multiple machines then apt-cacher is the way to go.
    Combines the benefits of a net install (no unnecessary downloads, up-to-date
    packages) without having to download any package more than once.

    CC

+ Reply to Thread