Supporting 2.6.27 in Lenny? - Long term support - Debian

This is a discussion on Supporting 2.6.27 in Lenny? - Long term support - Debian ; First of all I apologize if this has been brought up somewhere else. It seems that on LKML it was announced that 2.6.27 will be a long term support kernel: http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/10/11/235 Since we haven't released Lenny yet (freeze state I ...

  1. Supporting 2.6.27 in Lenny? - Long term support

    First of all I apologize if this has been brought up somewhere else.

    It seems that on LKML it was announced that 2.6.27 will be a long term support kernel:
    http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/10/11/235

    Since we haven't released Lenny yet (freeze state I believe), wouldn't itbe a good idea to include 2.6.27 as the default Lenny kernel instead of 2.6.26?

    Most of the newer release of other distributions like Fedora, Ubuntu, and openSUSE are going to be based on 2.6.27
    http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/10/14/322

    Also I am not a DD so I might not be aware 100% of the freeze policy as I ask this question.

    Thanks

    Kushal Koolwal

    I do blog at http://blogs.koolwal.net/

  2. debian-kernel (Supporting 2.6.27 in Lenny? - Long term support)

    For kernel-related discussions, ask on debian-kernel.

  3. Re: debian-kernel (Supporting 2.6.27 in Lenny? - Long term support)

    On ven, 2008-10-17 at 21:39 -0400, Filipus Klutiero wrote:
    > For kernel-related discussions, ask on debian-kernel.

    And for lenny-related discussions, isn't the release team concerned?
    --
    Yves-Alexis

  4. Re: Re: debian-kernel (Supporting 2.6.27 in Lenny? - Long term support)

    > On ven, 2008-10-17 at 21:39 -0400, Filipus Klutiero wrote:
    > > For kernel-related discussions, ask on debian-kernel.

    > And for lenny-related discussions, isn't the release team concerned?

    It is, but the first team that should approve a Linux upgrade in lenny
    is the kernel team. After that the d-i team would be contacted.

  5. Re: debian-kernel (Supporting 2.6.27 in Lenny? - Long term support)

    Filipus Klutiero wrote:
    > It is, but the first team that should approve a Linux upgrade in lenny
    > is the kernel team. After that the d-i team would be contacted.

    Could you just stop handing out bad advice on the development list, please?
    The answer to the kernel question is "No" and there is no use asking
    people to bug busy teams.

    Thanks.

    T.
    --
    Thomas Viehmann, http://thomas.viehmann.net/

  6. Re: debian-kernel (Supporting 2.6.27 in Lenny? - Long term support)

    Le October 19, 2008 04:04:58 am Thomas Viehmann, vous avez écrit*:
    > Filipus Klutiero wrote:
    > > It is, but the first team that should approve a Linux upgrade in lenny
    > > is the kernel team. After that the d-i team would be contacted.

    > Could you just stop handing out bad advice on the development list, please?

    As much as you could stop asking rhetorical questions and start expressing
    yourself clearly.
    > The answer to the kernel question is "No" and there is no use asking
    > people to bug busy teams.

    My point was that asking on debian-devel was suboptimal. This does not mean
    that the question will be useful on debian-kernel, but it's likely
    that -kernel contains a more useful and convincing answer than "No" from some
    random person, and that Kushal won't even have to ask.