Exim4 Config - Debian

This is a discussion on Exim4 Config - Debian ; Hello all. Not sure if this is the correct place to post, but I will start here and await other suggestions. I have Mepis 7 installed on a VPC in Vista, and all works more or less o.k. My problem ...

  1. Exim4 Config

    Hello all.

    Not sure if this is the correct place to post, but I will start here and
    await other suggestions.

    I have Mepis 7 installed on a VPC in Vista, and all works more or less o.k.

    My problem is with trying to configure Exim4.

    Exim4 is installed, but not configured as I wish.

    When I attempt to run "dpkg-reconfigure update-exim4", the program tells me
    it is NOT installed, yet according to Synaptic, it is, though it will not
    allow me to configure it through that either - recommends using
    "dpkg-reconfigure" route.

    Also I can telnet into Exim4, so it is installed and running.

    I have been away from Linux for a few year (working as a CAD and Network
    manager in a SBS2k3 shop), but previously I was able to successfully install
    and run a mail server on Linux using Sendmail, simply by RTFM, but in this
    case, although I have in fact RTFM, I STILL can not make Exim work - I am
    SERIOUSLY missing something!!!!

    ANY help much appreciated

    Frustrated

  2. Re: Exim4 Config

    Aaron wrote:
    > Hello all.
    >
    > Not sure if this is the correct place to post, but I will start here and
    > await other suggestions.
    >
    > I have Mepis 7 installed on a VPC in Vista, and all works more or less o.k.
    >
    > My problem is with trying to configure Exim4.
    >
    > Exim4 is installed, but not configured as I wish.
    >
    > When I attempt to run "dpkg-reconfigure update-exim4", the program tells me
    > it is NOT installed, yet according to Synaptic, it is, though it will not
    > allow me to configure it through that either - recommends using
    > "dpkg-reconfigure" route.
    >
    > Also I can telnet into Exim4, so it is installed and running.
    >
    > I have been away from Linux for a few year (working as a CAD and Network
    > manager in a SBS2k3 shop), but previously I was able to successfully install
    > and run a mail server on Linux using Sendmail, simply by RTFM, but in this
    > case, although I have in fact RTFM, I STILL can not make Exim work - I am
    > SERIOUSLY missing something!!!!
    >
    > ANY help much appreciated
    >
    > Frustrated

    On my (Debian) system, the reconfigure command is:

    dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config

    Robert

  3. Re: Exim4 Config

    "Robert Harris" wrote in message
    > Aaron wrote:
    >> Hello all.
    >>
    >> Not sure if this is the correct place to post, but I will start here and
    >> await other suggestions.
    >>
    >> I have Mepis 7 installed on a VPC in Vista, and all works more or less
    >> o.k.
    >>
    >> My problem is with trying to configure Exim4.
    >>
    >> Exim4 is installed, but not configured as I wish.
    >>
    >> When I attempt to run "dpkg-reconfigure update-exim4", the program tells
    >> me
    >> it is NOT installed, yet according to Synaptic, it is, though it will not
    >> allow me to configure it through that either - recommends using
    >> "dpkg-reconfigure" route.
    >>
    >> Also I can telnet into Exim4, so it is installed and running.
    >>
    >> I have been away from Linux for a few year (working as a CAD and Network
    >> manager in a SBS2k3 shop), but previously I was able to successfully
    >> install
    >> and run a mail server on Linux using Sendmail, simply by RTFM, but in
    >> this
    >> case, although I have in fact RTFM, I STILL can not make Exim work - I am
    >> SERIOUSLY missing something!!!!
    >>
    >> ANY help much appreciated
    >>
    >> Frustrated
    >>

    > On my (Debian) system, the reconfigure command is:
    >
    > dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config
    >
    > Robert

    Hello Robert.
    Thank you for your reply. It worked! Many thanks! I'm not sure where I got
    "update-exim4" from - and I went back and looked at what Synaptic was
    telling me to use to configure and it was just as you said "exim4-config"
    Talk about ADD!!!

    Guess I can read the manual - just not do what it says

    Again many (embarrassed) thanks.

+ Reply to Thread