anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (Anton Ertl) writes:
>What I have: an iBook G4 1GHz with an RV250 5c63 [Radeon Mobility 9200
>M9+] video chip, and I have just upgraded to Debian Lenny, i.e., X.org
>X server 1.4.2 and radeon_drv.o version 4.3.0.
>
>What I need: I need the laptop to drive the external VGA port in clone
>mode even if it does not recognize that there is something connected
>there

[...]
>I used to get what I need with Debian Etch, i.e., X Server 7.1.1 (see
><2007Apr13.233048@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at> and
>
>for details), but since the upgrade to Lenny the iBook does not drive
>the external VGA port unless it recognizes a monitor when starting X.

After some attempts to find a way to do that with the Lenny X server
(<2008Oct9.175859@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at>
<2008Oct10.202006@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at>
<2008Oct13.144940@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at>), I finally was
successful by "downgrading" the X server to the Etch version. This was
not easy, so here is what I did:

I pinned the X server packages to stable in /etc/apt/preferences by
inserting the following lines:

Package: xserver-xorg xserver-xorg-core xserver-xorg-input-all xserver-xorg-input-evdev xserver-xorg-input-kbd xserver-xorg-input-mouse xserver-xorg-input-synaptics xserver-xorg-input-wacom xserver-xorg-video-all xserver-xorg-video-ati xserver-xorg-video-chips xserver-xorg-video-fbdev xserver-xorg-video-glint xserver-xorg-video-imstt xserver-xorg-video-mach64 xserver-xorg-video-mga xserver-xorg-video-nv xserver-xorg-video-r128 xserver-xorg-video-radeon xserver-xorg-video-radeonhd xserver-xorg-video-s3 xserver-xorg-video-s3virge xserver-xorg-video-savage xserver-xorg-video-sis xserver-xorg-video-sisusb xserver-xorg-video-tdfx xserver-xorg-video-trident xserver-xorg-video-v4l xserver-xorg-video-vga x11-common
Pin: release a=stable
Pin-Priority: 1001

(There may be some Lenny package names in there and some Etch package
names missing, but that's what worked for me.)

Then I used the following lines to perform the downgrade:

apt-get remove xserver-xorg
apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-ati xserver-xorg-core xserver-xorg xserver-xorg-input-kbd xserver-xorg-input-mouse x11-common

It may be possible to do it directly by having the right lines in
preferences from the start, but I only learned slowly a few things
that are not mentioned in the docs, in particular:

Pin: release a=etch

still does not work. Also:

Package: xserver-xorg*

does not work, either (but * alone does work).

And in both cases it's not at all obvious that apt understands the
preferences file differently from what I intended.

Followups set to: alt.os.linux.debian.

- anton