Hello Raul and all,

> Hello Eric, All:
>
> El Sábado 11 Octubre 2008, Eric Doviak escribió:
> > JOY !!! Oh, joy! I just noticed that I don't have to recompile my kernel to
> > use KLaptop on Debian Lenny!
> >

> Glad to hear that. I still think that Debian is about choosing, and being
> able to choose is good. You made yours and it's ok, but I'd like to clarify
> why kpowersave was chosen and to comment out your e-mail.

I'm glad you did. Thank you.

> klaptopdaemon uses deprecated methods for most things, like hibernating,
> suspending to ram or even checking your battery status. Deprecated doesn't
> mean that it doesn't work, just that it is not the advisable method. Thisis
> becuase they could be removed at any time or for example that hibernatingmay
> broke because something changes slightly.

I like those deprecated old methods. They work.

I do understand and respect your arguments however, especially in regard to
upstream maintenance. I also remember that you have been closely working on
this issue since it arose a few months ago and I appreciate your efforts.

Just to follow up ...

> Regarding your suspend/hibernate problem, I have the impression that itwas
> possibly a hal issue. kpowersave just calls hibernate/suspend functions on
> hal, which may not be as advanced as hibernate scripts which are usually
> called by klaptopdaemon. Maybe you need to configure hal to do better, but I
> would agree that being as you explain it was a bug and should be reported(on
> either kpowersave or hal) and eventually solved.

Actually, it appears to be a well-known, long-standing problem with Madwifi:
* http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=383169
* http://madwifi.org/ticket/671

Thanks,
- Eric