KLaptop is back !!! - Debian

This is a discussion on KLaptop is back !!! - Debian ; JOY !!! Oh, joy! I just noticed that I don't have to recompile my kernel to use KLaptop on Debian Lenny! Check out the following lines in /boot/config-2.6.26-1-686 CONFIG_ACPI_PROCFS=y CONFIG_ACPI_PROCFS_POWER=y CONFIG_ACPI_SYSFS_POWER=y CONFIG_ACPI_PROC_EVENT=y KLaptop works with the latest stock Debian kernel! ...

  1. KLaptop is back !!!

    JOY !!! Oh, joy! I just noticed that I don't have to recompile my kernel to use KLaptop on Debian Lenny!

    Check out the following lines in /boot/config-2.6.26-1-686

    CONFIG_ACPI_PROCFS=y
    CONFIG_ACPI_PROCFS_POWER=y
    CONFIG_ACPI_SYSFS_POWER=y
    CONFIG_ACPI_PROC_EVENT=y

    KLaptop works with the latest stock Debian kernel! And it works a heck of a lot better than KPowersave!

    "So long KPowersave! I never liked the way you made me restart my wireless drivers upon resume from hibernation! Our relationship is over! I'm getting back with my old girl, KLaptop. She treats me much better than you ever did!"

    I'm not a jealous guy. I'm willing to share my love with others. To use KLaptop in Debian Lenny:

    Add the following lines to your /etc/apt/preferences file:

    Package: klaptopdaemon
    Pin: version 4:3.5.9-1
    Pin-Priority: 1001

    Set up your /etc/apt/sources.list file like this:

    deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ lenny main
    ## deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ lenny main

    deb http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main
    ## deb-src http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main

    deb http://snapshot.debian.net/archive/2008/04/19/debian unstable main
    deb http://snapshot.debian.net/archive pool kdeutils

    Then run (as root):

    # apt-get update
    # apt-get purge kpowersave
    # apt-get install klaptopdaemon=4:3.5.9-1

    To start KLaptop, run (as normal user):

    $ klaptop_check

    Enjoy!!!
    - Eric

  2. Re: KLaptop is back !!!

    Hello Eric, All:

    El Sábado 11 Octubre 2008, Eric Doviak escribió:
    > JOY !!! Oh, joy! I just noticed that I don't have to recompile my kernel to
    > use KLaptop on Debian Lenny!

    Glad to hear that. I still think that Debian is about choosing, and being
    able to choose is good. You made yours and it's ok, but I'd like to clarify
    why kpowersave was chosen and to comment out your e-mail.

    > Check out the following lines in /boot/config-2.6.26-1-686
    >
    > CONFIG_ACPI_PROCFS=y
    > CONFIG_ACPI_PROCFS_POWER=y
    > CONFIG_ACPI_SYSFS_POWER=y
    > CONFIG_ACPI_PROC_EVENT=y
    >
    > KLaptop works with the latest stock Debian kernel! And it works a heck ofa
    > lot better than KPowersave!

    Indeed that was the problem, mind that some options there are deprecated and
    that was why klaptopdaemon was deprecated too.

    I'm not so clear that kpowersave is not better that klaptopdaemon.

    > "So long KPowersave! I never liked the way you made me restart my wireless
    > drivers upon resume from hibernation! Our relationship is over! I'm getting
    > back with my old girl, KLaptop. She treats me much better than you ever
    > did!"

    Klaptopdaemon is totally unmaintained upstream, that means that no further
    development is going to happen on it. This is similar to what happens on
    KDE3, on KDE3 it's not as bad. No one has been taking care about
    klaptopdaemon and there are even some working patches on KDE bugzilla who are
    not applied for this reason.

    klaptopdaemon uses deprecated methods for most things, like hibernating,
    suspending to ram or even checking your battery status. Deprecated doesn't
    mean that it doesn't work, just that it is not the advisable method. This is
    becuase they could be removed at any time or for example that hibernating may
    broke because something changes slightly.

    On the contrary, kpowersave is still maintained and it relies on hal to
    interact with hardware, which in turns is also activelly developed. This is
    considered to be a "good thing". Again this doesn't mean that everything
    works, but if it doesn't work or you need to change anything you may raise a
    bug report in the right place and expect it corrected.

    Regarding your suspend/hibernate problem, I have the impression that it was
    possibly a hal issue. kpowersave just calls hibernate/suspend functions on
    hal, which may not be as advanced as hibernate scripts which are usually
    called by klaptopdaemon. Maybe you need to configure hal to do better, but I
    would agree that being as you explain it was a bug and should be reported (on
    either kpowersave or hal) and eventually solved.

    [...]
    > To start KLaptop, run (as normal user):
    >
    > $ klaptop_check

    Or alternatively go to kcontrol->power and there enable the tray icon.

    > Enjoy!!!
    > - Eric

    HTH, regards,

    --