Re: [KDE 4.1 backports] [BUG] Dependency problem with 4.1.1 to 4.1.2 upgrade - Debian

This is a discussion on Re: [KDE 4.1 backports] [BUG] Dependency problem with 4.1.1 to 4.1.2 upgrade - Debian ; On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 01:34:41PM +0200, Richard Scherping wrote: > Hello list, > hello Ana! > > Recently KDE4 packages in kde4.debian.net seem to have been updated from 4.1.1 to 4.1.2. Unfortunately they now depend on Qt4 >= ...

  1. Re: [KDE 4.1 backports] [BUG] Dependency problem with 4.1.1 to 4.1.2 upgrade

    On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 01:34:41PM +0200, Richard Scherping wrote:
    > Hello list,
    > hello Ana!
    >
    > Recently KDE4 packages in kde4.debian.net seem to have been updated from 4.1.1 to 4.1.2. Unfortunately they now depend on Qt4 >= 4.4.3, which is available in Sid, but NOT in Lenny. As these backports are made explicitely for Lenny, this is odd.
    > If the new Qt4 version (4.4.3 compared to 4.4.0, which is in Lenny) is really needed for KDE 4.1.2, this release should not have been backported.
    > If Qt4 4.4.0 is still OK (I do not have the time to test that unfortunately), please change the depencies.

    Qt 4.4.3 is on its way to be backported as well.
    if you look at http://kde4.debian.net you will see backports for 4.1.2 has not
    been announced yet. The reason is backports are not finished =)
    I meant to have this ready a couple of days, but then hit in some problems
    syncing the secondary mirror and real life stuff.
    So please, patience.

    Ana

  2. Re: [KDE 4.1 backports] [BUG] Dependency problem with 4.1.1 to 4.1.2 upgrade

    >> Recently KDE4 packages in kde4.debian.net seem to have been updated from 4.1.1 to 4.1.2. Unfortunately they now depend on Qt4 >= 4.4.3, which is available in Sid, but NOT in Lenny. As these backports are made explicitely for Lenny, this is odd.
    >> If the new Qt4 version (4.4.3 compared to 4.4.0, which is in Lenny) is really needed for KDE 4.1.2, this release should not have been backported.
    >> If Qt4 4.4.0 is still OK (I do not have the time to test that unfortunately), please change the depencies.
    >>

    > Qt 4.4.3 is on its way to be backported as well.
    > if you look at http://kde4.debian.net you will see backports for 4.1.2 has not
    > been announced yet. The reason is backports are not finished =)
    > I meant to have this ready a couple of days, but then hit in some problems
    > syncing the secondary mirror and real life stuff.
    > So please, patience.

    There is no problem in waiting for a complete 4.1.2 backport, of course - but it is a problem to have 4.1.2 "halfway" uploaded to the kde4.debian.net repository, as it keeps packaging information in a broken state for a couple of days now. This is quite annoying as it prevents a regular "aptitude full-upgrade".

    I know that there is no other chance than to wait for a working Qt backport NOW, but I really dislike that broken state and hope that uploads will be done when working and not beforehand IN FUTURE. That is why I am grousing here ;-)

    Richard

  3. Re: [KDE 4.1 backports] [BUG] Dependency problem with 4.1.1 to 4.1.2 upgrade

    Dear Richard, dear list,

    On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 11:22:16AM +0200, Richard Scherping wrote:

    > There is no problem in waiting for a complete 4.1.2 backport, of course - but it is a problem to have 4.1.2 "halfway" uploaded to the kde4.debian.net repository, as it keeps packaging information in a broken state for a couple of days now. This is quite annoying as it prevents a regular "aptitude full-upgrade".
    >
    > I know that there is no other chance than to wait for a working Qt backport NOW, but I really dislike that broken state and hope that uploads will be done when working and not beforehand IN FUTURE. That is why I am grousing here ;-)

    Have to say I have learn something important this last week thank you (or
    because the backports). After 4.1.3 release, if i takes me 3 weeks after the
    release find the time to look carefully at making the backports (or more),
    they will need 3 weeks to be done. Even I have stated clearly from the
    beginning in the kde4.debian.net website that backports would need at least
    a couple of weeks to be made after the release, my inbox is flooded with
    request and question about it like 2-3 days after the release about an ETA.
    And this time i gave up to the pressure. My mistake.

    Richard, even if you raise valid points in your email, it is very annoying
    for me the way you did it and specially the use of CAPITAL LETTERS.

    Ana

  4. Re: [KDE 4.1 backports] [BUG] Dependency problem with 4.1.1 to 4.1.2 upgrade

    Hello Ana!

    > Richard, even if you raise valid points in your email, it is very annoying
    > for me the way you did it and specially the use of CAPITAL LETTERS.

    I am truly sorry about that, please believe me! It was absolutely not my intention to annoy you in any way. Perhaps I should have thought about my tone a bit more thoroughly, as I am unfortunately not well trained in conversation using English language.

    However, I was kind of annoyed by the dependency problem and I think this incorrect amd64 built in the repository could have been avoided with a very short test before uploading. As the root of my problem now has been identified and will be resolved soon (thanks for this!), the whole story can be moved to the archive, though.

    Thank you very much for your quick responses and your stressing work sitting in between people wanting bleeding edge versions and users preferring a bit more checking like me!

    Richard