autoreconf and quilt - Debian

This is a discussion on autoreconf and quilt - Debian ; Hi, (please keep in me Cc:, I'm not on the list) The 'ballz' package (platform/puzzle game) requires a few changes in the build system to avoid using the builtin copy of 'chichan' (GUI toolkit for games) I checked autotools-dev and ...

  1. autoreconf and quilt

    Hi,

    (please keep in me Cc:, I'm not on the list)

    The 'ballz' package (platform/puzzle game) requires a few changes in
    the build system to avoid using the builtin copy of 'chichan' (GUI
    toolkit for games)

    I checked autotools-dev and decided to implement a solution that
    re-run the autotools suite through 'autoreconf' at build time.

    The drawback is that the working directory is modified, and it's not
    possible to revert those changes in the 'clean target'. As such it's
    easy to build the package twice, forget about that drawback, and
    generate a huge diff.gz.

    This is especially dirty since I'm supposed to use quilt only for this
    package.

    It was suggested to run 'autoreconf' manually and convert this to a
    static patch. But this miss the point of regenerating the build
    system at package build time (keeping config.* files up-to-date, etc.)

    What kind of elegant solution would you recommend?

    Thanks,

    --
    Sylvain

  2. Re: autoreconf and quilt

    On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 3:45 PM, Sylvain Beucler wrote:

    > - a static patch to go to the 'maintainer-clean' state

    No, just running 'make maintainer-clean' in the clean rule of debian/rules.

    > - plus using 'autoreconf' in debian/rule

    Yep.

    > Otherwise they will also be several modified files in the working
    > directory after a build & clean.

    If maintainer-clean does not remove them, you can remove them manually with rm.

    --
    bye,
    pabs

    http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise

  3. Re: autoreconf and quilt

    Hi,

    On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 02:23:54PM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
    > On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 2:16 PM, Sylvain Beucler wrote:
    >
    > > What kind of elegant solution would you recommend?

    > debian/rules:
    >
    > clean:
    > make maintainer-clean

    Do you mean:
    ?

    Otherwise they will also be several modified files in the working
    directory after a build & clean.

    --
    Sylvain

  4. Re: autoreconf and quilt

    On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 08:16:35 +0200, Sylvain Beucler wrote:

    > What kind of elegant solution would you recommend?

    remove all the generated files in debian/rules clean.

    Cheers,
    Julien

  5. Re: autoreconf and quilt

    On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 03:56:16PM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
    > On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 3:45 PM, Sylvain Beucler wrote:
    >
    > > - a static patch to go to the 'maintainer-clean' state

    > No, just running 'make maintainer-clean' in the clean rule of debian/rules.
    >
    > > - plus using 'autoreconf' in debian/rule

    > Yep.
    >
    > > Otherwise they will also be several modified files in the working
    > > directory after a build & clean.

    > If maintainer-clean does not remove them, you can remove them manually with rm.

    Thanks for the precisions.

    In this case though, a second build will show changes in the diff
    outside of debian/ (removed files). I'm likely to upload this diff by
    mistake. That's why maybe a first quilt patch that get rid of all
    autotools-generated files could help.

    Anyway I think the most elegant solution is to fix upstream directly,
    gonna do that instead

    Thanks,

    --
    Sylvain

  6. Re: autoreconf and quilt

    On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 01:10:07PM +0200, Sylvain Beucler wrote:
    > In this case though, a second build will show changes in the diff
    > outside of debian/ (removed files).

    Did you even try that? dpkg-buildpackage -S ignores removed files for
    the .diff.gz.

    Michael

  7. Re: autoreconf and quilt

    On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 13:10:07 +0200, Sylvain Beucler wrote:

    > In this case though, a second build will show changes in the diff
    > outside of debian/ (removed files).

    No. Removed files don't show up in diff.

    David

    --
    . ''`. Debian maintainer | http://wiki.debian.org/DavidPaleino
    : :' : Linuxer #334216 --|-- http://www.hanskalabs.net/

  8. Re: autoreconf and quilt

    Am Samstag, den 11.10.2008, 08:16 +0200 schrieb Sylvain Beucler:

    > The 'ballz' package (platform/puzzle game) requires a few changes in
    > the build system to avoid using the builtin copy of 'chichan' (GUI
    > toolkit for games)

    Besides your question: You should ask upstream to provide a configure
    switch to build against a builtin or external copy (AC_ARG_ENABLE). If
    you need some help, I can send you a patch to suggest it upstream.

    [..]
    > What kind of elegant solution would you recommend?

    IMHO solving this upstream is the most elegant way

    Regards, Daniel

  9. Re: autoreconf and quilt

    On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 01:36:28PM +0200, David Paleino wrote:
    > On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 13:10:07 +0200, Sylvain Beucler wrote:
    >
    > > In this case though, a second build will show changes in the diff
    > > outside of debian/ (removed files).

    > No. Removed files don't show up in diff.

    Ah, my bad.

    They still add noise in my git working copy though

    --
    Sylvain

  10. Re: autoreconf and quilt

    Sylvain Beucler wrote:
    > On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 01:36:28PM +0200, David Paleino wrote:
    >> On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 13:10:07 +0200, Sylvain Beucler wrote:
    >>
    >>> In this case though, a second build will show changes in the diff
    >>> outside of debian/ (removed files).

    >> No. Removed files don't show up in diff.

    > Ah, my bad.
    >
    > They still add noise in my git working copy though

    I've this in several debian/rules of my packages:
    clean:
    # if this is a git repository, restore removed files that would have
    # been ignored by dpkg-source
    -test -d .git && git-checkout -- $$(git-status | \
    sed -e '/^#[[:space:]]*deleted:[[:space:]]*/s/^#[[:space:]]*deleted:[[:space:]]*//p;d' | \
    grep -v '^debian/')

    Regards,
    Vincent

    --
    Vincent Danjean Adresse: Laboratoire d'Informatique de Grenoble
    Téléphone: +33 4 76 61 20 11 ENSIMAG - antenne de Montbonnot

  11. Re: autoreconf and quilt

    On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 02:00:13PM +0200, Daniel Leidert wrote:
    > Am Samstag, den 11.10.2008, 08:16 +0200 schrieb Sylvain Beucler:
    >
    > > The 'ballz' package (platform/puzzle game) requires a few changes in
    > > the build system to avoid using the builtin copy of 'chichan' (GUI
    > > toolkit for games)

    > Besides your question: You should ask upstream to provide a configure
    > switch to build against a builtin or external copy (AC_ARG_ENABLE). If
    > you need some help, I can send you a patch to suggest it upstream.

    I agree - that's in progress
    http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel.../msg00028.html

    I didn't implement a bundled/system library switch in autoconf yet, so
    I'd be glad to see your example.

    --
    Sylvain

  12. Re: autoreconf and quilt

    On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 02:35:20PM +0200, Vincent Danjean wrote:
    > Sylvain Beucler wrote:

    > >> No. Removed files don't show up in diff.

    > > Ah, my bad.
    > >
    > > They still add noise in my git working copy though

    > I've this in several debian/rules of my packages:
    > clean:
    > # if this is a git repository, restore removed files that would have
    > # been ignored by dpkg-source
    > -test -d .git && git-checkout -- $$(git-status | \
    > sed -e '/^#[[:space:]]*deleted:[[:space:]]*/s/^#[[:space:]]*deleted:[[:space:]]*//p;d' | \
    > grep -v '^debian/')

    Thanks, that works fine !

    --
    Sylvain

  13. Re: autoreconf and quilt

    "Paul Wise" writes:

    > On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 2:16 PM, Sylvain Beucler wrote:
    >
    > > What kind of elegant solution would you recommend?

    > debian/rules:
    >
    > clean:
    > make maintainer-clean

    Note that, by the GNU Make documentation, you should invoke the ‘make’
    program only via the automatically-set ‘MAKE’ variable:

    clean:
    # …
    $(MAKE) maintainer-clean

    --
    \ “Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do |
    `\ it from religious conviction.” —Blaise Pascal (1623-1662), |