debian package dependencies - Debian

This is a discussion on debian package dependencies - Debian ; Hi, I'm maintaining the Debian Package for a network appliance. The Update is executed via Webinterface. My problem is that I need an additional package in a newer Version of my appliance. I can't change dependencies, that would lead to ...

  1. debian package dependencies

    Hi,

    I'm maintaining the Debian Package for a network appliance. The Update
    is executed via Webinterface.
    My problem is that I need an additional package in a newer Version of my
    appliance.

    I can't change dependencies, that would lead to an error, right?
    Do I have any chance to tell my new paket it needs package xy??

    The User does not have shell nor console access.

    Thanks a lot,

    Jan U. Hartmann

  2. Re: debian package dependencies

    Hi,

    This should have been debian-user posting... This is not right list.

    On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 12:42:39PM +0200, Jan U. Hartmann wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm maintaining the Debian Package for a network appliance. The Update
    > is executed via Webinterface. My problem is that I need an additional
    > package in a newer Version of my appliance.

    Then use or make a back ported pakage.

    > I can't change dependencies, that would lead to an error, right?
    > Do I have any chance to tell my new paket it needs package xy??

    s/paket/package/ , I guess...

    You make your own or use one available in backports.org etc.
    http://www.backports.org/dokuwiki/doku.php

    > The User does not have shell nor console access.

    But administer have access to the machine via sshe/fai, etc., I guess.
    No problem.

    > Thanks a lot,

    Read some basic documentations:
    http://www.debian.org/doc/