audio "ringing" with audacity and other recorders - Debian

This is a discussion on audio "ringing" with audacity and other recorders - Debian ; I've recently tried several programs to convert old vinyl LP's to digital format. The only ones that work properly on my machine are Krec and Krecord. I'd like to use gramofile or audacity, but they appear to add a peculiar ...

  1. audio "ringing" with audacity and other recorders

    I've recently tried several programs to convert old vinyl LP's to
    digital format. The only ones that work properly on my machine are Krec
    and Krecord.

    I'd like to use gramofile or audacity, but they appear to add a peculiar
    "ringing" when writing the data to a file.

    I'm feeding the Line Out of a turntable to the Line In of the built-in
    "sound card" of the motherboard. The computer is running KDE 3.5 under
    Debian Etch, recently upgraded on 7 September 2008.

    While recording using gramofile or audacity, the levels seem fine, and
    the audio sounds good as the sound system replays it out the speaker
    port. But when I play the file that was created, I hear this ringing
    superimposed on the audio. The volume of the ringing goes up and down
    with the volume of the recorded audio. I've copied the files to another
    machine and played them back with Juk, xmms, Amarok, and other players
    and still get the ringing. But files recorded with Krec have no ringing.

    This is probably an old problem, but I couldn't find any references to
    it in searches.

    Anyone recognize it and know the cure?

    ..... Rich

  2. Re: audio "ringing" with audacity and other recorders

    On Mon, 06 Oct 2008 20:50:35 -0400, microwaverich wrote:

    > I've recently tried several programs to convert old vinyl LP's to
    > digital format. The only ones that work properly on my machine are Krec
    > and Krecord.
    >
    > I'd like to use gramofile or audacity, but they appear to add a peculiar
    > "ringing" when writing the data to a file.
    >
    > I'm feeding the Line Out of a turntable to the Line In of the built-in
    > "sound card" of the motherboard. The computer is running KDE 3.5 under
    > Debian Etch, recently upgraded on 7 September 2008.
    >
    > While recording using gramofile or audacity, the levels seem fine, and
    > the audio sounds good as the sound system replays it out the speaker
    > port. But when I play the file that was created, I hear this ringing
    > superimposed on the audio. The volume of the ringing goes up and down
    > with the volume of the recorded audio. I've copied the files to another
    > machine and played them back with Juk, xmms, Amarok, and other players
    > and still get the ringing. But files recorded with Krec have no ringing.
    >
    > This is probably an old problem, but I couldn't find any references to
    > it in searches.
    >
    > Anyone recognize it and know the cure?
    >
    > .... Rich

    What brand turntable and cartridge?

    Does the turntable have a built in pre-amp to bring the level to 'Line
    Level" ?

    If not, you need a phono pre-amp which will amplify the level so that it is
    appropriate.
    It will also provide the correct RIAA eq to flatten out the sound.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb