Any idea when Debian 5.0 will be released? - Debian

This is a discussion on Any idea when Debian 5.0 will be released? - Debian ; As the title suggests, I have been doing a search but the most up-to-date articles say a September release. Well, we are almost in October now....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

  1. Any idea when Debian 5.0 will be released?

    As the title suggests, I have been doing a search but the most
    up-to-date articles say a September release. Well, we are almost in
    October now.

  2. Re: Any idea when Debian 5.0 will be released?

    Rob Horton yahoo@mr_horton.com wrote previously in alt.os.linux.debian:

    > As the title suggests, I have been doing a search but the most
    > up-to-date articles say a September release. Well, we are almost in
    > October now.

    When it's ready.

  3. Re: Any idea when Debian 5.0 will be released?

    On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 15:53:59 +0100, Rob Horton wrote:

    > As the title suggests, I have been doing a search but the most
    > up-to-date articles say a September release. Well, we are almost in
    > October now.

    5.0 or "Lenny" has no official release date, see:
    http://www.debian.org/releases/

    It is currently frozen and in testing.

    Debian is like a fine wine. The longer you wait, the better it gets.

  4. Re: Any idea when Debian 5.0 will be released?

    Rob Horton made a definite or systematic statement of:
    > As the title suggests, I have been doing a search but the most
    > up-to-date articles say a September release. Well, we are almost in
    > October now.

    I understand, you're excited; yes? Be patient and you'll receive a free
    OS which wasn't "booted out the door early". You could do as I; test
    Lenny and send in bug reports.

    - sk8r-365
    --
    "We may consider each generation as a distinct nation, with a right, by
    the will of its majority, to bind themselves, but none to bind the

  5. Re: Any idea when Debian 5.0 will be released?

    On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 14:17:52 -0500, sk8r-365 wrote:

    > Be patient and you'll receive a free
    > OS which wasn't "booted out the door early".

    Want to know when the next Windows release date is? Ask Marketing.

  6. Re: Any idea when Debian 5.0 will be released?

    Mike Bleiweiss made a definite or systematic statement of:
    > On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 14:17:52 -0500, sk8r-365 wrote:
    >
    >> Be patient and you'll receive a free
    >> OS which wasn't "booted out the door early".

    > Want to know when the next Windows release date is? Ask Marketing.

    YEAH!, funny. No matter when they release it, it'll still be "booted out
    the door" too early. The good news, for MS at any rate, is folks will
    *pay* for it!

    --
    sk8r-365

    "He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is
    filled with falsehoods and errors." - Thomas Jefferson

  7. Re: Any idea when Debian 5.0 will be released?

    On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 20:00:57 +0000, Mike Bleiweiss wrote:

    > On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 14:17:52 -0500, sk8r-365 wrote:
    >
    >> Be patient and you'll receive a free
    >> OS which wasn't "booted out the door early".

    > Want to know when the next Windows release date is? Ask Marketing.

    Going by previous experience it will be due on 1st Jan 2009 and the first
    extremely buggy release will be in November 2012 which will need 10gb of
    ram to run and will be followed in 2013 by a series of patches to enable
    things like installation and admitting that to run easily it needs 50gb
    of ram.

    --
    Neil
    reverse ra and delete l

  8. Re: Any idea when Debian 5.0 will be released?

    Rob Horton wrote:
    > As the title suggests, I have been doing a search but the most
    > up-to-date articles say a September release. Well, we are almost in
    > October now.

    The correct question would be how many critical bugs still remain?

  9. Re: Any idea when Debian 5.0 will be released?

    On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 15:53:59 +0100, Rob Horton wrote:

    > As the title suggests, I have been doing a search but the most
    > up-to-date articles say a September release. Well, we are almost in
    > October now.

    If you are impatient for Lenny, don't wait. There's nothing stopping you
    from changing your sources.list to point to Lenny now, unless you know
    there are specific bugs that would get in your way.

    A Debian release is really just a big pile of official install images
    that are believed to work for the widest range of languages and hardware.

    I've been running Lenny on this box for most of a year now, since the
    Etch I originally installed started going stale. This is a desktop box
    I'm talking about. If you're running a server on Etch and it works,
    leave it alone for the best results.

  10. Re: Any idea when Debian 5.0 will be released?

    Mark Madsen wrote:

    >If you are impatient for Lenny, don't wait. There's nothing stopping you
    >from changing your sources.list to point to Lenny now, unless you know
    >there are specific bugs that would get in your way.

    Mark - I'm a relative newbie to changing my sources.list. Here's what
    it looks like now:

    deb ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian etch main contrib non-free
    deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian etch main
    deb http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib
    deb http://volatile.debian.org/debian-volatile etch/volatile main
    contrib non-free

    Is it as simple as changing "etch" to "lenny"? Do you have some
    "better" repositories?

    TomT

  11. Re: Any idea when Debian 5.0 will be released?

    TomT wrote:
    > Mark - I'm a relative newbie to changing my sources.list. Here's
    > what it looks like now:
    >
    > deb ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian etch main contrib non-free deb
    > http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian etch main deb
    > http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib deb
    > http://volatile.debian.org/debian-volatile etch/volatile main contrib
    > non-free
    >
    > Is it as simple as changing "etch" to "lenny"? Do you have some
    > "better" repositories?
    >
    > TomT

    TomT,

    Here is what you'll need:

    deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ lenny main non-free contrib
    deb-src http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ lenny main non-free contrib
    deb http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main non-free contrib
    deb-src http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main non-free contrib

    Your current sources.list look a bit of a mess so I'm not going to make
    any assumptions where the machine you're refering to is based. If
    you're in the UK then you can use the above. Otherwise go to
    http://www.debian.org/mirror/list-non-US and find 'local' servers for
    you and slip them into the list above.

    The deb-src repositories are optional. If you don't ever think that
    you'll easily need to get the source code to a package then you may omit
    those two lines.

    In addition, the Volatile repository can only be used with Debian's
    'stable' repositories, however you will not need those after the switch.

    If you use 'lenny' then your machine will ALWAYS stay with that
    particular distribution, even once it goes stable, and even it when it
    retires. In light of this, you may prefer to not use 'lenny' and use
    'testing' intead like in the following example:

    deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ testing main non-free contrib

    That way your machine will always be in Debian testing.

    Make your choices based on your needs.

    If you do decide to join testing or lenny then you shall benefit from
    doing a (as root):

    apt-get -u dist-upgrade

    .. in order to bring your system into sync with the repositories. This
    may change many things, including your kernel and other core system
    components. A lot of work has been done to help ensure that this will
    go smoothly, although there are not guarantees at this stage. In light
    of this, back up your system first in case you're not happy with the
    results.

    Personally, my solution is to put all my machines into testing and leave
    them there and that has been working well for me for quite some time.
    It also means that I never have to do a apt-get -u dist-upgrade as I
    upgrade the packages as the arrive in testing, never in one go.

    --
    Regards,
    Sheridan Hutchinson

  12. Re: Any idea when Debian 5.0 will be released?

    TomT made a definite or systematic statement of:

    > Mark - I'm a relative newbie to changing my sources.list. Here's what
    > it looks like now:
    >
    > deb ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian etch main contrib non-free
    > deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian etch main
    > deb http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib
    > deb http://volatile.debian.org/debian-volatile etch/volatile main
    > contrib non-free
    >
    > Is it as simple as changing "etch" to "lenny"? Do you have some
    > "better" repositories?

    Those are good sources. Put 'lenny' (no capitals or ' ' ) where 'etch'
    is. Then do 'apt-get update' (no ' ' ),

    followed by 'apt-get dist-upgrade'
    - I prefer to switch to tty1 (from login screen press ctrl+alt+F1).

    I usually do, also as root, '/etc/init.d/gdm stop' before 'apt-get
    dist-upgrade'.

    --
    sk8r-365
    "Merchants have no country. The mere spot they stand on does not

  13. Re: Any idea when Debian 5.0 will be released?

    TomT made a definite or systematic statement of:

    > deb http://volatile.debian.org/debian-volatile etch/volatile main
    > contrib non-free

    Oh, BTW, I'm not certain if this is a good repo for now.

    --
    sk8r-365
    "Merchants have no country. The mere spot they stand on does not
    constitute so strong an attachment as that from which they draw their
    gains." - Thomas Jefferson

  14. Re: Any idea when Debian 5.0 will be released?

    sk8r-365 wrote:
    >> deb http://volatile.debian.org/debian-volatile etch/volatile main
    >> contrib non-free

    > Oh, BTW, I'm not certain if this is a good repo for now.

    It is a good repo and during the new lenny installer it actually asks
    you if you want to set this up

    The volatile repo is purely for packages that contain things like virus
    definitions that change quite quickly. The volatile repo is designed to
    bypass the natural package maturing process of unstable --> testing -->
    stable development. Instead these 'fast changing' packages go from
    unstable -> stable, but only with considerable scrutiny on behalf of the
    package maintainers.

    So to put it in to context, imagine you're running a Debian (stable)
    email server that has a lot of Windows clients. While Debian itself
    doesn't need a virus scanner, it would be a good idea to scan the email
    to stop any nasties getting to your Windows clients. Traditionally
    you'd be scanning with very out of date virus definitions, but with the
    volatile repository, those definitions are updated frequently and can
    therefore catch the newest threats.

    --
    Regards,
    Sheridan Hutchinson

  15. Re: Any idea when Debian 5.0 will be released?

    "TomT" wrote
    > Mark Madsen wrote:
    >
    >>If you are impatient for Lenny, don't wait. There's nothing stopping you
    >>from changing your sources.list to point to Lenny now, unless you know
    >>there are specific bugs that would get in your way.

    > Mark - I'm a relative newbie to changing my sources.list. Here's what
    > it looks like now:
    >
    > deb ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian etch main contrib non-free
    > deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian etch main
    > deb http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib
    > deb http://volatile.debian.org/debian-volatile etch/volatile main
    > contrib non-free
    >
    > Is it as simple as changing "etch" to "lenny"?

    The answer is basically yes - then apt-get upgrade and then apt-get
    dist-upgrade - but back stuff up first in case something breaks. I've been
    running Lenny on my main server for about five months now and there have
    been no problems at all, but switching from Etch to Lenny might have
    complications (you'll have several hundred packages to upgrade - almost
    every one, I would think).

    > Do you have some
    > "better" repositories?

    No. The last two are fine, and you really only need one main repo though it
    doesn't hurt to have a backup. Rather than use the main debian.org ones it
    would probably be quicker to use one closer to you, if it has decent
    bandwidth. Many ISPs provide a Debian mirror, at least many UK ones do.

    Good luck,

    CC

  16. Re: Any idea when Debian 5.0 will be released?

    I demand that Sheridan Hutchinson may or may not have written...

    > TomT wrote:
    >> Mark - I'm a relative newbie to changing my sources.list. Here's what it
    >> looks like now:
    >> deb ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian etch main contrib non-free
    >> deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian etch main
    >> deb http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib
    >> deb http://volatile.debian.org/debian-volatile etch/volatile main contrib non-free
    >> Is it as simple as changing "etch" to "lenny"? Do you have some "better"
    >> repositories?

    > Here is what you'll need:

    > deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ lenny main non-free contrib
    > deb-src http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ lenny main non-free contrib
    > deb http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main non-free contrib
    > deb-src http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main non-free contrib

    [snip]

    .... and the release notes, currently only available in docbook format:
    http://svn.debian.org/viewsvn/ddp/ma...e-notes/lenny/

    | + Buy local produce. Try to walk or cycle. TRANSPORT CAUSES GLOBAL WARMING.

    Nothing is but what is not.

  17. Re: Any idea when Debian 5.0 will be released?

    Sheridan Hutchinson made a definite or systematic statement of:

    > The volatile repo is purely for packages that contain things like virus
    > definitions that change quite quickly. The volatile repo is designed to
    > bypass the natural package maturing process of unstable --> testing -->
    > stable development. Instead these 'fast changing' packages go from
    > unstable -> stable, but only with considerable scrutiny on behalf of the
    > package maintainers.
    >
    > So to put it in to context, imagine you're running a Debian (stable)
    > email server that has a lot of Windows clients. While Debian itself
    > doesn't need a virus scanner, it would be a good idea to scan the email
    > to stop any nasties getting to your Windows clients. Traditionally
    > you'd be scanning with very out of date virus definitions, but with the
    > volatile repository, those definitions are updated frequently and can
    > therefore catch the newest threats.

    Sheridan, Thanks for the info. I've never used "volatile", but then
    again, this is a Windows-less home!

    --
    sk8r-365

    "Conquest is not in our principles. It is inconsistent with our
    government." - Thomas Jefferson

    Rob Horton wrote:
    > As the title suggests, I have been doing a search but the most
    > up-to-date articles say a September release. Well, we are almost in
    > October now.

    The big question is: What can you do, to help release Lenny at least in
    this quarter? That's pretty easy: Fix rc-bugs, take care, that the fixed
    packages are migrated to Lenny, do upgrade tests, document problems in
    the release-notes.

    Pretty simple, isn't it? http://blog.schmehl.info/Debian/releasing-lenny
    --
    Jimmy Johnson

    SimplyMEPIS 6.5.02
    Registered Linux User #380263

  19. Re: Any idea when Debian 5.0 will be released?

    Rob Horton schrieb:

    > As the title suggests, I have been doing a search but the most
    > up-to-date articles say a September release. Well, we are almost in
    > October now.

    June-2009:
    http://blog.venthur.de/2008/10/07/lennys-release-date/

    Martin.

  20. Re: Any idea when Debian 5.0 will be released?

    Sheridan Hutchinson wrote:

    >TomT wrote:
    >> Mark - I'm a relative newbie to changing my sources.list. Here's
    >> what it looks like now:
    >>
    >> deb ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian etch main contrib non-free deb
    >> http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian etch main deb
    >> http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib deb
    >> http://volatile.debian.org/debian-volatile etch/volatile main contrib
    >> non-free
    >>
    >> Is it as simple as changing "etch" to "lenny"? Do you have some
    >> "better" repositories?

    >Here is what you'll need:
    >
    >deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ lenny main non-free contrib
    >deb-src http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ lenny main non-free contrib
    >deb http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main non-free contrib
    >deb-src http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main non-free contrib

    Thanks, Sheridan.

    >Your current sources.list look a bit of a mess so I'm not going to make
    >any assumptions where the machine you're refering to is based. If
    >you're in the UK then you can use the above. Otherwise go to
    >http://www.debian.org/mirror/list-non-US and find 'local' servers for
    >you and slip them into the list above.

    I'm in the U.S.

    >The deb-src repositories are optional. If you don't ever think that
    >you'll easily need to get the source code to a package then you may omit
    >those two lines.

    Understand.

    >In addition, the Volatile repository can only be used with Debian's
    >'stable' repositories, however you will not need those after the switch.
    >
    >If you use 'lenny' then your machine will ALWAYS stay with that
    >particular distribution, even once it goes stable, and even it when it
    >retires. In light of this, you may prefer to not use 'lenny' and use
    >'testing' intead like in the following example:
    >
    >deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ testing main non-free contrib
    >
    >That way your machine will always be in Debian testing.

    "testing" sounds like a plan to me.

    >Make your choices based on your needs.
    >
    >If you do decide to join testing or lenny then you shall benefit from
    >doing a (as root):
    >
    >apt-get -u dist-upgrade
    >
    >.. in order to bring your system into sync with the repositories. This
    >may change many things, including your kernel and other core system
    >components. A lot of work has been done to help ensure that this will
    >go smoothly, although there are not guarantees at this stage. In light
    >of this, back up your system first in case you're not happy with the
    >results.

    Yes, been there, done that.

    >Personally, my solution is to put all my machines into testing and leave
    >them there and that has been working well for me for quite some time.
    >It also means that I never have to do a apt-get -u dist-upgrade as I
    >upgrade the packages as the arrive in testing, never in one go.

    Yeah, that sounds really good to me.

    TomT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast