Any idea when Debian 5.0 will be released? - Debian

This is a discussion on Any idea when Debian 5.0 will be released? - Debian ; Sheridan Hutchinson wrote: >sk8r-365 wrote: >>> deb http://volatile.debian.org/debian-volatile etch/volatile main >>> contrib non-free >> >> >> Oh, BTW, I'm not certain if this is a good repo for now. > >It is a good repo and during the new lenny ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 25 of 25

  1. Re: Any idea when Debian 5.0 will be released?

    Sheridan Hutchinson wrote:

    >sk8r-365 wrote:
    >>> deb http://volatile.debian.org/debian-volatile etch/volatile main
    >>> contrib non-free

    >> Oh, BTW, I'm not certain if this is a good repo for now.

    >It is a good repo and during the new lenny installer it actually asks
    >you if you want to set this up
    >
    >The volatile repo is purely for packages that contain things like virus
    >definitions that change quite quickly. The volatile repo is designed to
    >bypass the natural package maturing process of unstable --> testing -->
    >stable development. Instead these 'fast changing' packages go from
    >unstable -> stable, but only with considerable scrutiny on behalf of the
    >package maintainers.
    >
    >So to put it in to context, imagine you're running a Debian (stable)
    >email server that has a lot of Windows clients. While Debian itself
    >doesn't need a virus scanner, it would be a good idea to scan the email
    >to stop any nasties getting to your Windows clients. Traditionally
    >you'd be scanning with very out of date virus definitions, but with the
    >volatile repository, those definitions are updated frequently and can
    >therefore catch the newest threats.

    It's been a year or so but I'm pretty sure I added volatile for ClamAV
    updates. I'll probable comment that out as I shift to "testing".

    TomT

  2. Re: Any idea when Debian 5.0 will be released?

    sk8r-365 wrote:

    >TomT made a definite or systematic statement of:
    >
    >> Mark - I'm a relative newbie to changing my sources.list. Here's what
    >> it looks like now:
    >>
    >> deb ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian etch main contrib non-free
    >> deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian etch main
    >> deb http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib
    >> deb http://volatile.debian.org/debian-volatile etch/volatile main
    >> contrib non-free
    >>
    >> Is it as simple as changing "etch" to "lenny"? Do you have some
    >> "better" repositories?

    >Those are good sources. Put 'lenny' (no capitals or ' ' ) where 'etch'
    >is. Then do 'apt-get update' (no ' ' ),
    >
    >followed by 'apt-get dist-upgrade'
    >- I prefer to switch to tty1 (from login screen press ctrl+alt+F1).
    >
    >I usually do, also as root, '/etc/init.d/gdm stop' before 'apt-get
    >dist-upgrade'.

    sk,

    It's not clear to me why you would stop the display manager (if that's
    what you're doing).

    TomT

  3. Re: Any idea when Debian 5.0 will be released?

    "Magnate" wrote:

    >"TomT" wrote
    >> Mark Madsen wrote:
    >>
    >>>If you are impatient for Lenny, don't wait. There's nothing stopping you
    >>>from changing your sources.list to point to Lenny now, unless you know
    >>>there are specific bugs that would get in your way.

    >> Mark - I'm a relative newbie to changing my sources.list. Here's what
    >> it looks like now:
    >>
    >> deb ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian etch main contrib non-free
    >> deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian etch main
    >> deb http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib
    >> deb http://volatile.debian.org/debian-volatile etch/volatile main
    >> contrib non-free
    >>
    >> Is it as simple as changing "etch" to "lenny"?

    >The answer is basically yes - then apt-get upgrade and then apt-get
    >dist-upgrade - but back stuff up first in case something breaks. I've been
    >running Lenny on my main server for about five months now and there have
    >been no problems at all, but switching from Etch to Lenny might have
    >complications (you'll have several hundred packages to upgrade - almost
    >every one, I would think).
    >
    >> Do you have some
    >> "better" repositories?

    >No. The last two are fine, and you really only need one main repo though it
    >doesn't hurt to have a backup. Rather than use the main debian.org ones it
    >would probably be quicker to use one closer to you, if it has decent
    >bandwidth. Many ISPs provide a Debian mirror, at least many UK ones do.
    >
    >Good luck,

    Thanks, CC. I'm going to try switching to "testing". I'm hoping the
    Update Manager will allow me to upgrade blocks of programs at a time
    because I'm on dial-up. If not, I'll have to think of a plan B.

    TomT

  4. Re: Any idea when Debian 5.0 will be released?

    TomT made a definite or systematic statement of:
    > sk8r-365 wrote:

    >>I usually do, also as root, '/etc/init.d/gdm stop' before 'apt-get
    >>dist-upgrade'.

    > sk,
    >
    > It's not clear to me why you would stop the display manager (if that's
    > what you're doing).

    TomT, I *prefer* to do that as X and GDM get upgraded but sometimes - in
    my past - things went poorly whilst they were active... especially if
    done from a Desktop! Yak!! I like to do dist-upgrade in tty1 to avoid
    some potential problems. BTW, you may encounter this problem

    I saw this message "E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code
    (1)". I did a 'remove' of the offending package, followed by another
    apt-get dist-upgrade. That completed the process properly.

    - sk8r-365
    --
    "If the present Congress errs in too much talking, how can it be
    otherwise in a body to which the people send one hundred and fifty

  5. Re: Any idea when Debian 5.0 will be released?

    sk8r-365 wrote:

    >TomT made a definite or systematic statement of:
    >> sk8r-365 wrote:

    >>>I usually do, also as root, '/etc/init.d/gdm stop' before 'apt-get
    >>>dist-upgrade'.

    >> sk,
    >>
    >> It's not clear to me why you would stop the display manager (if that's
    >> what you're doing).
    >>

    >TomT, I *prefer* to do that as X and GDM get upgraded but sometimes - in
    >my past - things went poorly whilst they were active... especially if
    >done from a Desktop! Yak!! I like to do dist-upgrade in tty1 to avoid
    >some potential problems. BTW, you may encounter this problem
    >http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=482140

    Thanks, sk, that made sense.

    TomT

+ Reply to Thread