Multiple virtual interfaces in one VLAN - Debian

This is a discussion on Multiple virtual interfaces in one VLAN - Debian ; hi, i have a machine with only one physical network interface. i know that it is possible to create virtual interfaces (eth0:1, etc.) to have multiple ip-adresses on one physical interface. now i would need to configure vlans on this ...

  1. Multiple virtual interfaces in one VLAN

    hi,

    i have a machine with only one physical network interface.

    i know that it is possible to create virtual interfaces (eth0:1, etc.)
    to have multiple ip-adresses on one physical interface.

    now i would need to configure vlans on this machine - no problem so far,
    this is my config:

    Code:
    auto eth1.1001
    iface eth1.1001 inet dhcp

    auto eth1.1012
    iface eth1.1012 inet dhcp
    that works too, i get the interfaces vlan1012 and vlan1001 and ip
    adresses in the corresponding subnets.

    but i cant create virtual interfaces for those vlan interfaces - the
    problem is i would need about 10 interfaces in one vlan.

    i have tried both eth1.1001:1 and eth1:1.1001 syntax - both dont work.

    does anyone know how to do this?

    lg, Michi
    --
    email: michi.fischer@gmx.net
    web: http://www.webfischer.at

  2. Re: Multiple virtual interfaces in one VLAN

    Michael Fischer wrote:
    > i cant create virtual interfaces for those vlan interfaces - the
    > problem is i would need about 10 interfaces in one vlan.
    >
    > i have tried both eth1.1001:1 and eth1:1.1001 syntax - both dont work.
    >
    > does anyone know how to do this?

    Don't use aliases, use iproute2 to add the extra IP addresses to the
    interfaces:

    ip address add 192.168.5.5/24 dev eth1.1001

    Regards,

  3. RE: Multiple virtual interfaces in one VLAN

    I've had great success with the following in /etc/network/interfaces:

    iface eth0.400:0 inet static

    iface eth0.400:1 inet static

    iface eth0.400:2 inet static

    And so on. Using to manage wireless CPEs in different subnets on the
    same VLAN.

    Are you trying to make all of your aliases use DHCP or statics? I would
    expect multiple "use DHCP" entries on the same NIC would take you
    nowhere - if work at all.

    Cheers
    ---
    Ross Halliday