KDE4 observations - Debian

This is a discussion on KDE4 observations - Debian ; Hi, having installed KDE4 from experimental this weekend I noticed two major problems: - some components cause insane amounts of wakeups (about 100++/s) which result in a power consumtion about 1.5 time the consumption if the latest kde3 packages from ...

  1. KDE4 observations

    Hi,

    having installed KDE4 from experimental this weekend I noticed two major
    problems:
    - some components cause insane amounts of wakeups (about 100++/s) which
    result in a power consumtion about 1.5 time the consumption if the latest
    kde3 packages from unstable.
    - regardless of eye candy options, maximizing windows takes about 3-5s,
    during which th system is completely unresponsive.

    (needlessly to say that I switched back to kde3 within an hour or so ;-)

    The machine is a Lenovo Z61m with an ATI Radeon Mobility X1400. I use the
    lastest fglrx driver.

    regards,
    Dietz

  2. Re: KDE4 observations

    Hi, The slow window drawing problem may be linked to fglrx. Your
    chipset is supported by the open source radeon driver (xf86-video-ati). Just
    pull in Xorg, mesa, and xf86-video-ati from experimental. Edit the xorg.conf
    to make it use "radeon" as the Driver, and enable EXA. The slow window
    drawing problem should go away. As for the power consumption issue, Im
    clueless.

    Regards,
    Karthik

    On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 6:54 PM, Dietz Proepper wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > having installed KDE4 from experimental this weekend I noticed two major
    > problems:
    > - some components cause insane amounts of wakeups (about 100++/s) which
    > result in a power consumtion about 1.5 time the consumption if the latest
    > kde3 packages from unstable.
    > - regardless of eye candy options, maximizing windows takes about 3-5s,
    > during which th system is completely unresponsive.
    >
    > (needlessly to say that I switched back to kde3 within an hour or so ;-)
    >
    > The machine is a Lenovo Z61m with an ATI Radeon Mobility X1400. I use the
    > lastest fglrx driver.
    >
    > regards,
    > Dietz
    >

    > --

  3. Re: KDE4 observations

    Hi,

    thanks for the tip regarding the radeon driver, I'll give it a try the next
    days.

    Regarding the wakeups, I'm quite sure that some of the kde guys simply
    forgot how to use the "timeout" parameter for a select() or poll().
    Should be no big deal to figure out ;-).

    regards,
    Dietz

    Karthik Ramgopal: