Re: DELAYED queue and upload hostname - Debian

This is a discussion on Re: DELAYED queue and upload hostname - Debian ; On Sat, Sep 20, 2008 at 18:30:55 +0200, Joerg Jaspert wrote: > - the DELAYED queue is back on ftp-master > Some questions: 1) I use Tollef's DELAYED queue mostly for 0-day because it's accessible over ssh, so I can ...

  1. Re: DELAYED queue and upload hostname

    On Sat, Sep 20, 2008 at 18:30:55 +0200, Joerg Jaspert wrote:

    > - the DELAYED queue is back on ftp-master

    Some questions:
    1) I use Tollef's DELAYED queue mostly for 0-day because it's accessible
    over ssh, so I can rsync files over which is more reliable than ftp on a
    bad link. It sounds like you're removing the possibility to use that (I
    know I can rsync files to some debian host and ftp from there, but
    that's more manual work).
    2) Will files in DELAYED be readable? It's occasionally useful to
    inspect uploads there before they reach the archive, like if somebody
    forgot to send his nmu diff to the bts.

    Cheers,
    Julien

  2. Re: DELAYED queue and upload hostname

    On 11514 March 1977, Julien Cristau wrote:

    > 1) I use Tollef's DELAYED queue mostly for 0-day because it's accessible
    > over ssh, so I can rsync files over which is more reliable than ftp on a
    > bad link. It sounds like you're removing the possibility to use that (I
    > know I can rsync files to some debian host and ftp from there, but
    > that's more manual work).

    Yes, the way via .d.o hosts it is.

    > 2) Will files in DELAYED be readable? It's occasionally useful to
    > inspect uploads there before they reach the archive, like if somebody
    > forgot to send his nmu diff to the bts.

    Thomas plans to provide a similar overview as we have for NEW
    packages. We could enable that to have links to the files itself.

    Only problem is - if someone goes and uploads a NEW package there it
    would get us in trouble, as we would distribute it before it got its
    inspection if we really can do that. So if that ever happens it needs
    some extra code to look if its valid to give links or not.

    --
    bye, Joerg
    I'm kinky and perverse, but my illness is laziness

  3. Re: DELAYED queue and upload hostname

    Joerg Jaspert wrote:
    > Only problem is - if someone goes and uploads a NEW package there it
    > would get us in trouble, as we would distribute it before it got its
    > inspection if we really can do that. So if that ever happens it needs
    > some extra code to look if its valid to give links or not.

    Well, and anyone can upload anything to his ~/public_html and have
    Debian servers distribute it.

    As long as it's not distributed as part of the official archive, I think
    we should be mostly OK.

    Not that I would disagree with having those extra checks, I'm just
    saying that we shouldn't overreact with this, IMHO.

    Regards,
    Faidon

  4. Re: DELAYED queue and upload hostname

    On 11514 March 1977, Faidon Liambotis wrote:
    > Joerg Jaspert wrote:
    >> Only problem is - if someone goes and uploads a NEW package there it
    >> would get us in trouble, as we would distribute it before it got its
    >> inspection if we really can do that. So if that ever happens it needs
    >> some extra code to look if its valid to give links or not.

    > Well, and anyone can upload anything to his ~/public_html and have
    > Debian servers distribute it.

    > As long as it's not distributed as part of the official archive, I think
    > we should be mostly OK.

    *NO* we aren't.

    > Not that I would disagree with having those extra checks, I'm just
    > saying that we shouldn't overreact with this, IMHO.

    If you go and export unregistered crypto foo from debian.org systems it
    will get you into trouble, at least with Debian.

    --
    bye, Joerg
    Contrary to common belief, Arch:i386 is *not* the same as Arch: any.

  5. Re: DELAYED queue and upload hostname

    Quoting Julien Cristau (jcristau@debian.org):

    > Some questions:
    > 1) I use Tollef's DELAYED queue mostly for 0-day because it's accessible
    > over ssh, so I can rsync files over which is more reliable than ftp on a
    > bad link. It sounds like you're removing the possibility to use that (I
    > know I can rsync files to some debian host and ftp from there, but
    > that's more manual work).

    I have the same concern.

    Tollef's DELAYED queue for 0-day is my "regular" upload method for
    years now because I can upload with SSH, which is convenient for me in
    several situations where I can't use anything but SSH (often from my
    company's internal network).

    Will a possibility to "upload" with SSH be added at some moment?

    I recently saw mentions of /org/delayed.debian.org/ on ravel and
    thought that this was the new delayed queue, but it appears that files
    sent there are not processed.

    So, as of now, my only method to upload when I only have SSH/scp
    possible is using Tollef's old delayed queue.

  6. Re: DELAYED queue and upload hostname

    Christian Perrier (21/09/2008):
    > Will a possibility to "upload" with SSH be added at some moment?

    Maybe it'd be feasible to teach dput/dupload how to use an @d.o machine
    as “proxy”, where the files are scp'd to, and from which they're moved
    to the appropriate place afterwards?

    Mraw,
    KiBi.

  7. Re: DELAYED queue and upload hostname

    Joerg Jaspert wrote:
    > If you go and export unregistered crypto foo from debian.org systems it
    > will get you into trouble, at least with Debian.

    simply a check for a delayed upload to be NEW or not doesn't help then
    either, imagine someone uploads an already existing package to delayed
    with enabled crypto (or new upstream with crypto).

    you probably want to consider to not link to actual files at all.

    --
    Address: Daniel Baumann, Burgunderstrasse 3, CH-4562 Biberist
    Email: daniel.baumann@panthera-systems.net