Laptops and Virtulization - Debian

This is a discussion on Laptops and Virtulization - Debian ; Greetings, I would like to find out from the list what they use on there laptops for virtulization. I'm needing to run a vm on my laptop for using as a development server, andI need it to be able to ...

  1. Laptops and Virtulization

    Greetings,

    I would like to find out from the list what they use on there laptops for
    virtulization.

    I'm needing to run a vm on my laptop for using as a development server, andI
    need it to be able to access the network my wifi card is attached to.

    I have scoured the interweb and havn't found what I'm looking for (other then
    vmware which has some issues)

    I would prefer to run the latest etch-n-half kernel, possibly even lenny
    although I don't have lenny yet.
    --
    Thank you,

    Clifford W. Hansen
    PHP Developer / Linux Administrator

    (Cell) +27 82 883 8677
    (Fax) +27 86 503 0634
    (E-Mail) clifford@nighthawk.co.za
    (MSN) clifford@nighthawk.co.za
    (GPG) 0x936D6C19

    "We have seen strange things today!"

  2. Re: Laptops and Virtulization

    On Fri, 2008-09-19 at 08:59 +0200, Clifford W. Hansen wrote:
    > I would like to find out from the list what they use on there laptops for
    > virtulization.
    >
    > I'm needing to run a vm on my laptop for using as a development server, and I
    > need it to be able to access the network my wifi card is attached to.
    >
    > I have scoured the interweb and havn't found what I'm looking for (other then
    > vmware which has some issues)
    >
    > I would prefer to run the latest etch-n-half kernel, possibly even lenny
    > although I don't have lenny yet.

    Personally I am using VirtualBox OSE for exact the reason you would like
    virtualization.

    After a quick check virtualbox-ose is either available within Lenny
    (including the kernel module) or via etch-backports where you need to
    build the kernel module yourself though.

    For a list of packages available in Debian check
    http://packages.debian.org/search?ke...virtualbox-ose.

    Regards,

    Stephan

  3. Re: Laptops and Virtulization

    On Friday 19 September 2008 09:38:04 Stephan Peijnik wrote:
    > On Fri, 2008-09-19 at 08:59 +0200, Clifford W. Hansen wrote:
    > > I would like to find out from the list what they use on there laptops for
    > > virtulization.
    > >
    > > I'm needing to run a vm on my laptop for using as a development server,
    > > and I need it to be able to access the network my wifi card is attached
    > > to.
    > >
    > > I have scoured the interweb and havn't found what I'm looking for (other
    > > then vmware which has some issues)
    > >
    > > I would prefer to run the latest etch-n-half kernel, possibly even lenny
    > > although I don't have lenny yet.

    > Personally I am using VirtualBox OSE for exact the reason you would like
    > virtualization.
    >
    > After a quick check virtualbox-ose is either available within Lenny
    > (including the kernel module) or via etch-backports where you need to
    > build the kernel module yourself though.
    >
    > For a list of packages available in Debian check
    > http://packages.debian.org/search?ke...virtualbox-ose.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Stephan

    Stephan,

    I was using VirtualBox for a while, but could never get the bridged mode
    working due to my laptop connecting via wifi, but then again no one else
    needs to access my dev box anymore. Well DHCP wasn't working.

    Will give it a bash again, thank you...
    --
    Thank you,

    Clifford W. Hansen
    PHP Developer / Linux Administrator

    (Cell) +27 82 883 8677
    (Fax) +27 86 503 0634
    (E-Mail) clifford@nighthawk.co.za
    (MSN) clifford@nighthawk.co.za
    (GPG) 0x936D6C19

    "We have seen strange things today!"

  4. Re: Laptops and Virtulization

    On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 09:56:11AM +0200, Clifford W. Hansen wrote:
    > On Friday 19 September 2008 09:38:04 Stephan Peijnik wrote:
    > > On Fri, 2008-09-19 at 08:59 +0200, Clifford W. Hansen wrote:
    > > > I would like to find out from the list what they use on there laptops for
    > > > virtulization.
    > > >
    > > > I'm needing to run a vm on my laptop for using as a development server,
    > > > and I need it to be able to access the network my wifi card is attached
    > > > to.
    > > >
    > > > I have scoured the interweb and havn't found what I'm looking for (other
    > > > then vmware which has some issues)
    > > >
    > > > I would prefer to run the latest etch-n-half kernel, possibly even lenny
    > > > although I don't have lenny yet.

    Hello there,

    I had good luck with kvm, but I do have a new enough CPU which has
    hardware support for virtualization. I usually don't bridge the network,
    but I remember to do this sometime ago and everything work as expected
    (there are hooks for bridging in //etc/network/interface, so that you have
    the bridge as soon as you boot, then you can add the tap interface from
    kvm).

    cheers
    graziano

    > > Personally I am using VirtualBox OSE for exact the reason you would like
    > > virtualization.
    > >
    > > After a quick check virtualbox-ose is either available within Lenny
    > > (including the kernel module) or via etch-backports where you need to
    > > build the kernel module yourself though.
    > >
    > > For a list of packages available in Debian check
    > > http://packages.debian.org/search?ke...virtualbox-ose.
    > >
    > > Regards,
    > >
    > > Stephan

    > Stephan,
    >
    > I was using VirtualBox for a while, but could never get the bridged mode
    > working due to my laptop connecting via wifi, but then again no one else
    > needs to access my dev box anymore. Well DHCP wasn't working.
    >
    > Will give it a bash again, thank you...
    > --
    > Thank you,
    >
    > Clifford W. Hansen
    > PHP Developer / Linux Administrator
    >
    > (Cell) +27 82 883 8677
    > (Fax) +27 86 503 0634
    > (E-Mail) clifford@nighthawk.co.za
    > (MSN) clifford@nighthawk.co.za
    > (GPG) 0x936D6C19
    >
    > "We have seen strange things today!"
    >
    > () ascii ribbon campaign - against html e-mail
    > /\ www.asciiribbon.org - against proprietary attachments

  5. Re: Laptops and Virtulization

    On Friday 19 September 2008 09:56:11 Clifford W. Hansen wrote:
    > On Friday 19 September 2008 09:38:04 Stephan Peijnik wrote:
    > > On Fri, 2008-09-19 at 08:59 +0200, Clifford W. Hansen wrote:
    > > > I would like to find out from the list what they use on there laptops
    > > > for virtulization.
    > > >
    > > > I'm needing to run a vm on my laptop for using as a development server,
    > > > and I need it to be able to access the network my wifi card is attached
    > > > to.
    > > >
    > > > I have scoured the interweb and havn't found what I'm looking for
    > > > (other then vmware which has some issues)
    > > >
    > > > I would prefer to run the latest etch-n-half kernel, possibly even
    > > > lenny although I don't have lenny yet.

    > > Personally I am using VirtualBox OSE for exact the reason you would like
    > > virtualization.
    > >
    > > After a quick check virtualbox-ose is either available within Lenny
    > > (including the kernel module) or via etch-backports where you need to
    > > build the kernel module yourself though.
    > >
    > > For a list of packages available in Debian check
    > > http://packages.debian.org/search?ke...virtualbox-ose.
    > >
    > > Regards,
    > >
    > > Stephan

    > Stephan,
    >
    > I was using VirtualBox for a while, but could never get the bridged mode
    > working due to my laptop connecting via wifi, but then again no one else
    > needs to access my dev box anymore. Well DHCP wasn't working.
    >
    > Will give it a bash again, thank you...

    Just for future reference / anyone who is interested I got the following
    working.

    And it almost does exactly what I need, well it's good enough for now:

    #!/bin/bash

    LAN="eth1"
    DHCP_SERVER="xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx"

    case "${1}" in
    "start" )
    TAP=$(VBoxTunctl -b -u clifford)
    echo ${TAP} > /var/run/vbox.tap
    sysctl net.ipv4.ip_forward=1 >> /dev/null
    ip link set ${TAP} up
    ip addr add xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/xx dev ${TAP}
    parprouted ${LAN} ${TAP}
    iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o ${LAN} -j MASQUERADE
    dhcrelay3 -q -i ${LAN} -i ${TAP} ${DHCP_SERVER}
    echo ${TAP}
    ;;
    "stop" )
    TAP=${3}
    kill -9 $(ps -elf | grep ${TAP} | grep -v grep | awk '{print
    $4}' | grep -v $$)
    ifconfig ${TAP} down
    VBoxTunctl -d ${TAP} >> /dev/null
    sysctl net.ipv4.ip_forward=0 >> /dev/null
    ;;
    esac

    This can then be used by VirtualBox as the network script (Network --> Host
    interface settings --> Setup/Terminate)

    I just run these as "sudo /path/to/vbox-networking.sh start" and it does the
    rest.

    Unfortunately due to using parprouted it seems like it's not accessable from
    the lan, but I'm working on this... The solutions possibly has something to
    do with a bridge...
    --
    Thank you,

    Clifford W. Hansen
    PHP Developer / Linux Administrator

    (Cell) +27 82 883 8677
    (Fax) +27 86 503 0634
    (E-Mail) clifford@nighthawk.co.za
    (MSN) clifford@nighthawk.co.za
    (GPG) 0x936D6C19

    "We have seen strange things today!"

  6. Re: Laptops and Virtulization

    On Monday 22 September 2008 13:41:38 Clifford W. Hansen wrote:
    > On Friday 19 September 2008 09:56:11 Clifford W. Hansen wrote:

    > > > Personally I am using VirtualBox OSE for exact the reason you would
    > > > like virtualization.
    > > >
    > > > After a quick check virtualbox-ose is either available within Lenny
    > > > (including the kernel module) or via etch-backports where you need to
    > > > build the kernel module yourself though.
    > > >
    > > > For a list of packages available in Debian check
    > > > http://packages.debian.org/search?ke...virtualbox-ose.
    > > >
    > > > Regards,
    > > >
    > > > Stephan

    > > Stephan,
    > >
    > > I was using VirtualBox for a while, but could never get the bridged mode
    > > working due to my laptop connecting via wifi, but then again no one else
    > > needs to access my dev box anymore. Well DHCP wasn't working.
    > >
    > > Will give it a bash again, thank you...

    > Just for future reference / anyone who is interested I got the following
    > working.
    >
    > And it almost does exactly what I need, well it's good enough for now:
    >
    > #!/bin/bash
    >
    > LAN="eth1"
    > DHCP_SERVER="xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx"
    >
    > case "${1}" in
    > "start" )
    > TAP=$(VBoxTunctl -b -u clifford)
    > echo ${TAP} > /var/run/vbox.tap
    > sysctl net.ipv4.ip_forward=1 >> /dev/null
    > ip link set ${TAP} up
    > ip addr add xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/xx dev ${TAP}
    > parprouted ${LAN} ${TAP}
    > iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o ${LAN} -j MASQUERADE
    > dhcrelay3 -q -i ${LAN} -i ${TAP} ${DHCP_SERVER}
    > echo ${TAP}
    > ;;
    > "stop" )
    > TAP=${3}
    > kill -9 $(ps -elf | grep ${TAP} | grep -v grep | awk
    > '{print $4}' | grep -v $$)
    > ifconfig ${TAP} down
    > VBoxTunctl -d ${TAP} >> /dev/null
    > sysctl net.ipv4.ip_forward=0 >> /dev/null
    > ;;
    > esac
    >

    > This can then be used by VirtualBox as the network script (Network --> Host
    > interface settings --> Setup/Terminate)
    >
    > I just run these as "sudo /path/to/vbox-networking.sh start" and it does
    > the rest.
    >
    > Unfortunately due to using parprouted it seems like it's not accessable
    > from the lan, but I'm working on this... The solutions possibly has
    > something to do with a bridge...

    I thought about replying to you when you first posted, but I didn't know how
    to respond to bridging over wifi. The debian wiki has some pretty good info
    on setting up a bridge for virtualbox. A few weeks ago, I updated the
    example script that brings the interface up and down, and added a snippet of
    my sudoers file that lets you run the particular commands without using a
    password. On my system, all the tap interfaces are named vbox_{$vboxname},
    and everything seems to be working just fine.

    Here's the page: http://wiki.debian.org/VirtualBox

    I didn't like adding the tap interfaces to /etc/vbox/interfaces, and I think
    that the solution on the wiki page is much better than having to list static
    interfaces there.

    Btw, I've never heard of parprouted before. I just looked up the package and
    it seems interesting. I might play with this later.

    Using an ethernet bridge can be painful on a laptop sometimes, like when
    there's no dhcp server on the network, and you have to give the br0 a static
    address. That makes it much more difficult when the VM's are also expecting
    to get their network info from dhcp. There are also problems when there isa
    dhcp server, but there's no dns updates for the hostnames. This can get to
    be annoying when you're using many VM's.

    --
    Thanks:
    Joseph Rawson

  7. Re: Laptops and Virtulization

    On Tuesday 23 September 2008 21:51:03 Joseph Rawson wrote:

    > I figured that there would be problems bridging wireless devices. This is
    > why I didn't reply to you on your first couple of posts. When I saw the
    > script that you wrote, and saw that it uses eth1, that's when I figured
    > that you weren't using wireless. I'm a absolute noob when it comes to
    > using wireless. I'm on my third laptop using built in wireless, and I still
    > have yet to actually use it further than testing it in windows to see if it
    > works before I install debian.
    >
    > I'm sorry, from what I was reading, I was thinking that you were just going
    > to use regular ethernet to run you're VM's. The only thing I know to do to
    > get the VM's available over the wireless is to use DNAT and port
    > forwarding. This might be ugly, since you may have to use different port
    > numbers on the wireless, and that might be harder for the other machines on
    > the network. I don't know what you are using the VM for. If you're using
    > the VM for web development, you may want to look into configuring
    > mod_proxy, then you can reach the VM over a standard port with a slightly
    > different url. It's been a long time since I've done that myself, but it's
    > pretty easy to setup.

    Yea I've made that mistake a couple of times re: ethx

    I'm currently looking in to the ipw2200-ap drivers, these might solve my
    problem, cause it seems like you can only bridge a wifi card that can act
    like a AP. hopefull I come up with a solution.

    As for what the VMs are, basically:
    1. Debian dev server (needs to mount NFS and other bits and peices so DNAT
    would be a nightmare
    2. A winbloze test box, unfortunately still need to test that IE can read the
    sites.

    Will keep the list posted...

    --
    Thank you,

    Clifford W. Hansen
    PHP Developer / Linux Administrator

    (Cell) +27 82 883 8677
    (Fax) +27 86 503 0634
    (E-Mail) clifford@nighthawk.co.za
    (MSN) clifford@nighthawk.co.za
    (GPG) 0x936D6C19

    "We have seen strange things today!"

  8. Re: Laptops and Virtulization

    On Tuesday 23 September 2008 15:03:08 Clifford W. Hansen wrote:
    > On Tuesday 23 September 2008 21:51:03 Joseph Rawson wrote:
    > >

    > > I figured that there would be problems bridging wireless devices. This
    > > is why I didn't reply to you on your first couple of posts. When I saw
    > > the script that you wrote, and saw that it uses eth1, that's when I
    > > figured that you weren't using wireless. I'm a absolute noob when it
    > > comes to using wireless. I'm on my third laptop using built in wireless,
    > > and I still have yet to actually use it further than testing it in
    > > windows to see if it works before I install debian.
    > >
    > > I'm sorry, from what I was reading, I was thinking that you were just
    > > going to use regular ethernet to run you're VM's. The only thing I know
    > > to do to get the VM's available over the wireless is to use DNAT and port
    > > forwarding. This might be ugly, since you may have to use different port
    > > numbers on the wireless, and that might be harder for the other machines
    > > on the network. I don't know what you are using the VM for. If you're
    > > using the VM for web development, you may want to look into configuring
    > > mod_proxy, then you can reach the VM over a standard port with a slightly
    > > different url. It's been a long time since I've done that myself, but
    > > it's pretty easy to setup.

    > Yea I've made that mistake a couple of times re: ethx
    >
    > I'm currently looking in to the ipw2200-ap drivers, these might solve my
    > problem, cause it seems like you can only bridge a wifi card that can act
    > like a AP. hopefull I come up with a solution.

    Good luck with it.
    > As for what the VMs are, basically:
    > 1. Debian dev server (needs to mount NFS and other bits and peices so DNAT
    > would be a nightmare

    It was quite a few years ago, but I had to run an nfs server off of my laptop,
    and I was using shorewall. There are options to specify the ports that are
    used by rpc.mountd and rpc.statd . You can set these options
    in /etc/default/nfs-* (I just looked at /etc/default/nfs-common and found a
    link to the debian wiki, which may help a bit. --
    http://wiki.debian.org/SecuringNFS). I just looked at the page and it's
    pretty good. It would have been nice if there was a wiki back when I was
    trying to figure this out on my own.

    > 2. A winbloze test box, unfortunately still need to test that IE can read
    > the sites.

    I run windows on the VM's also. I'm getting closer to making an automated
    network installer that will install windows machines. I'm not sure if you've
    experienced any problems using windows on the VM's yet, but I have to enable
    the IO APIC option on the XP and Vista VM's.

    --
    Thanks:
    Joseph Rawson

+ Reply to Thread