Ubuntu home server "suspends" itself - Debian

This is a discussion on Ubuntu home server "suspends" itself - Debian ; My sister's Ubuntu Gutsy home server, just a basic Ubuntu Gutsy install with GUI, somehow magically goes to "sleep" every so often for unknown reasons (suspend). It is a little Dell desktop. It can wake up if power button is ...

  1. Ubuntu home server "suspends" itself

    My sister's Ubuntu Gutsy home server, just a basic Ubuntu Gutsy
    install with GUI, somehow magically goes to "sleep" every so often for
    unknown reasons (suspend). It is a little Dell desktop. It can wake up
    if power button is pressed. But this is not the behaviour that one
    expects from servers. We want it to be up all the time. What gives?

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  2. Re: Ubuntu home server "suspends" itself

    prior to suspending itself it says in /var/log/messages

    Sep 17 23:09:08 sisterspc kernel: [78514.820000] ACPI: PCI interrupt for device 0000:01:0c.0 disabled

    On 2008-09-19, Ignoramus11155 wrote:
    > My sister's Ubuntu Gutsy home server, just a basic Ubuntu Gutsy
    > install with GUI, somehow magically goes to "sleep" every so often for
    > unknown reasons (suspend). It is a little Dell desktop. It can wake up
    > if power button is pressed. But this is not the behaviour that one
    > expects from servers. We want it to be up all the time. What gives?

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  3. Re: Ubuntu home server "suspends" itself

    In comp.os.linux.misc Ignoramus11155 wrote:
    > My sister's Ubuntu Gutsy home server, just a basic Ubuntu Gutsy
    > install with GUI, somehow magically goes to "sleep" every so often for
    > unknown reasons (suspend). It is a little Dell desktop. It can wake up
    > if power button is pressed. But this is not the behaviour that one
    > expects from servers. We want it to be up all the time. What gives?

    I'm not familiar with UG, but do know Debian. My Debian laptop has a
    Power Management GUI thingy that sets the suspend/hibernate idle
    timeout (System > Preferences > Power Management). Failing that, you
    could try uninstalling the uswsusp and hibernate packages.

    Chris

  4. Re: Ubuntu home server "suspends" itself

    In Chris Davies:

    [Snip...]

    > Power Management GUI thingy that sets the suspend/hibernate idle

    Shot in the dark...

    I have some desktops that have "Power Management" options in the BIOS, and
    some are not very friendly in typical BIOS default config as servers.

    (Not that I'd prefer typical desktops as 24/7/365 servers, but I digress)

    As an example (IIRC) one has a BIOS setting that defaults to spinning down
    the disks after 30 minutes of inactivity. That's really going to crimp the
    server response features.

    So, I'd check the BIOS for these "power save" features, too.

    JMO; YMMV...

    I toss GoogleGroup posts from gitgo (http://improve-usenet.org).

+ Reply to Thread