Do Danish developers care about Debian being installable in their language? - Debian

This is a discussion on Do Danish developers care about Debian being installable in their language? - Debian ; (please forgive in advance the title of this mail which is slightly agressive...on purpose. I indeed have nothing against Danish developers: just like all developers and contributors in Debian, you guys deserve all due respect. I just wanted to get ...

  1. Do Danish developers care about Debian being installable in their language?

    (please forgive in advance the title of this mail which is slightly
    agressive...on purpose. I indeed have nothing against Danish
    developers: just like all developers and contributors in Debian, you
    guys deserve all due respect. I just wanted to get your attention)

    As I mentioned on
    http://www.perrier.eu.org/weblog/200...-freeze-lenny5, the
    current way we handle D-I localization requires that some parts of the
    installer are fully translated for us to keep the language listed in
    possible installation languages.

    Danish currently fails this despite being among the very early
    supported languages in D-I.

    This is probably because the usual translator, Claus, or his backup,
    Jacob (both CC'ed) were busy doing something else, or lost interest,
    or whatever.

    The situation is now critical, indeed. Even though the decision is not
    yet taken, there are risks that we (D-I team) finally decide to
    de-activate Danish.

    To avoid this, the two following files need to be completed:

    http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/l10n-st...ublevel1_da.po
    http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/l10n-st...ublevel2_da.po

    This is not huge work: 32 fuzzy and 22 untranslated strings. And 3
    days left.

    All you need is a good editor, respecting the PO files format (which
    is trivial), of course knowledge of the language AND respecting the
    terminology used by previous translators.

    In case soemone wants to volunteer, please reply to All so that Claus
    and Jacob know about it as well as -devel.

    Please help me saving the poor Danes....:-)

    (and if you're courageous enough, you can complete sublevels 3 and 4 (33f25u)...

    Final hint: answering "no" to the question in Subject: is not
    acceptable, of course..

    --

  2. Re: Do Danish developers care about Debian being installable in their language?

    On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 1:06 AM, Christian Perrier wrote:

    > The situation is now critical, indeed. Even though the decision is not
    > yet taken, there are risks that we (D-I team) finally decide to
    > de-activate Danish.

    > In case soemone wants to volunteer, please reply to All so that Claus
    > and Jacob know about it as well as -devel.

    We have quite a few DDs in Denmark, at least a few of them might be
    willing and able to help.

    --
    bye,
    pabs

    http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise

  3. Re: Do Danish developers care about Debian being installable in their language?

    Quoting Paul Wise (pabs@debian.org):
    > On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 1:06 AM, Christian Perrier wrote:
    >
    > > The situation is now critical, indeed. Even though the decision is not
    > > yet taken, there are risks that we (D-I team) finally decide to
    > > de-activate Danish.

    > > In case soemone wants to volunteer, please reply to All so that Claus
    > > and Jacob know about it as well as -devel.

    > We have quite a few DDs in Denmark, at least a few of them might be
    > willing and able to help.

    Which is exactly why I posted this to -devel, indeed.

    There are other languages that fail D-I release criteria (they're
    listed in my blog posts) but TTBOMK, we have no DD in their respective
    countries.

    That's why I made a special case for Danish.

  4. Re: Do Danish developers care about Debian being installable in their language?

    On 2008-09-18, Paul Wise wrote:
    > On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 1:06 AM, Christian Perrier wrote:
    >
    >> The situation is now critical, indeed. Even though the decision is not
    >> yet taken, there are risks that we (D-I team) finally decide to
    >> de-activate Danish.

    >> In case soemone wants to volunteer, please reply to All so that Claus
    >> and Jacob know about it as well as -devel.

    > We have quite a few DDs in Denmark, at least a few of them might be
    > willing and able to help.

    I forward blogged this in danish and a few good people already popped
    up.

    What sort of documents should I forward them about procedures and stuff?

    /Sune

  5. Re: Do Danish developers care about Debian being installable in their language?

    (private CC just in case, sorry if that's a small abuse, Sune)

    Quoting Sune Vuorela (nospam@vuorela.dk):
    > On 2008-09-18, Paul Wise wrote:
    > > On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 1:06 AM, Christian Perrier wrote:
    > >
    > >> The situation is now critical, indeed. Even though the decision is not
    > >> yet taken, there are risks that we (D-I team) finally decide to
    > >> de-activate Danish.

    > >> In case soemone wants to volunteer, please reply to All so that Claus
    > >> and Jacob know about it as well as -devel.

    > > We have quite a few DDs in Denmark, at least a few of them might be
    > > willing and able to help.

    > I forward blogged this in danish and a few good people already popped
    > up.
    >
    > What sort of documents should I forward them about procedures and stuff?

    Nothing about procedures and the like. We're now in the "hurry up"
    situation..:-)

    Just point them at files available at:
    http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/l10n-stats/level1/files/da

    and ask them to complete sublevels 1 and 2 (completing other sublevels
    is optional but welcomed. Sublevel 5 is complete and doesn't need any work)

    Please ask them to respect the terminology used elsewhere in the files
    for technical terms....even if they don't deeply agree with it (these
    are sometimes debated issues and we have no time for debate).

    The only requirement is understanding how PO files work (which is
    fairly trivial: you can open them with a text editor, even though
    using a dedicated tool such as kbabel is recommended).

    The target is: update strings marked as "fuzzy" (they have a
    translation but it doesn't fit the English version anymore) and of
    course the untranslated ones (those where the "msgstr" par is empty).

    Then send them back to me at bubulle@debian.org.

    If they have any question, they can mail me privately, I'll do my best
    to answer.

    The deadline is Saturday Sept. 20th 23:59 UTC

    PS: if they want to further contribute, people are welcomed and,
    *then* they can read the good documentation we have at
    http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/doc/i18n/

  6. Danish developers *do* care about Debian being installable in their language

    Thanks to Sune who relayed my noise in his blog, Jesper Dahl Nyerup
    and Henrik Christian Grove complete Debian Installer translations for
    Danish very quickly and even reviewed the existing translations.

    I think they deserve big kudos from Danish native speakers and D-I
    developers.

    Thanks as well to Frank Damgaard who also volunteered and even did
    some early translation work.

+ Reply to Thread