Re: Parallel installation of KDE 3 & 4? - Debian

This is a discussion on Re: Parallel installation of KDE 3 & 4? - Debian ; On Tuesday 16 September 2008 21:24:59 Laurent L√©onard wrote: > Le mardi 16 septembre 2008 √* 20:16, Michael Schuerig a √©crit¬*: > > I thought I had been following the discussion in here, but apparently > > not closely enough. ...

  1. Re: Parallel installation of KDE 3 & 4?

    On Tuesday 16 September 2008 21:24:59 Laurent Léonard wrote:
    > Le mardi 16 septembre 2008 √* 20:16, Michael Schuerig a √©crit¬*:
    > > I thought I had been following the discussion in here, but apparently
    > > not closely enough. I'm still a bit wary of switching to KDE 4
    > > entirely, however, if possible, I'd like to install it in parallel with
    > > KDE 3 or, even better, mix and match apps from both versions.

    > You have to choose between KDE 3 and KDE 4, but you can still use KDE 3
    > softwares with KDE 4...

    If you want to install both of them off Debian Sid/Experimental, this is true.
    While library names differ, application names do not. Debian's maintainers
    made the decision to go with one or the other.

    You can (I do) run both if you compile one of them. Since I had a locally
    compiled kde3, installing kde4 off Debian was possible. However, some fancy
    footwork is necessary to adjust PATHs between the two sessions. It can be
    done. I am running kde4 right now. My wife and daughter are still using kde3
    when they log on (until I am sure of kde4). The paths are serviced in
    /etc/profile using env variables set in one of the startkde scripts.

    Note that a kde3 app in kde4 still uses the kde3 libraries including dcop.
    Some will fire it up themselves, others assume it is already running which
    means either I run one of the former first or must manually start dcopserver.
    It would be nice if a call compatible version going through the new dbus
    scheme were available.

    Also note that if any of the dcop starters are run as root, the ownership of
    .iCEauthority gets switched, disabling the next kde4 session unless you can
    get startkde to reset this.

    Startkde is replaced on upgrades so any tricks done there need be put back
    each time. Maybe there is a better way.

  2. Re: Parallel installation of KDE 3 & 4?

    Hi

    On Tuesday 16. September 2008 21.13.34 David Baron wrote:
    > Startkde is replaced on upgrades so any tricks done there need be put back
    > each time. Maybe there is a better way.

    There is. Have a look at dpkg-divert.

    Cheers, Adi

  3. Re: Parallel installation of KDE 3 & 4?

    On Tuesday 16 September 2008 22:27:21 Adrian Friedli wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > On Tuesday 16. September 2008 21.13.34 David Baron wrote:
    > > Startkde is replaced on upgrades so any tricks done there need be put
    > > back each time. Maybe there is a better way.

    > There is. Have a look at dpkg-divert.
    >
    > Cheers, Adi

    This is cool!

    So I can put the new startkde in some safe place, do a diff and manually edit
    in to mine anything really needed.

    AND ... stop xorg upgrades from killing the symlink to nvidia's libglx.so.
    This is a bigee--surprized in all the repeated threads on debian-users, no one
    thought of this one. I will give it a try!